Monoprice THX 887 build quality
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ChuckS

New Head-Fier
I've seen quite a bit on the feature set, design details, and sound characteristics of the Monoprice THX 887, but I'd like to get a better sense of its build quality. Things like quality of switches, connectors, volume control, case, etc. I'm also wondering about how well Monoprice gear, in general, holds up over time. As a point of reference I'd like to understand its build quality relative to manufacturers like Lake People and Violectric.

Thanks

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 3
I haven't seen the monoprice gear.

Violectric stuff is built like a tank. It should be at those prices but I think they're worth it.

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Monoprice has mid-grade quality gear, just like S.M.S.L. The thing with mid-grade gear, is that they don't use the cheapest switches possible, but they don't use the highest end either.

Have a look at the S.M.S.L SP200 amp, I think you will be impressed. Don't ask why they went with a parallelogram, cause nobody knows lol. But they use nice quality toggle switches in front, they feel like quality to me. The only knock I would have with the amp, is on its volume POT, not the highest grade, however, can be replaced by somebody who is handy with soldering and PCB circuitry work. Or, you could just chose the rout that I did, and just replace the plastic volume knob, with an all metal one, makes a difference in the POT movement feel, and makes the amp look better. The amp produces clean THX sound, with straight up amplification, with a solid 6-watts into 16-ohms, and 3-watts into 32-ohms. I highly recommend it for the price. Pics of my amp before and after volume knob replacement.

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back