Monoprice Portable THX AAA Amplifier
Nov 14, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #151 of 191
Hi, I have the Monolyth dac/amp 3 months and sold Topping NX4 DSD after A/B within 2 weeks.

The bass extension on THX goes down to 1 Hz and with Sony EX800ST (16 Ohm) and Aurisonic ASG 2.5 (40 Ohm) (both sound generally pretty warm) this is a perfect COLD (as a coca-cola not weather) dac/amp.

I am really all about deep clean detailed (sub)bass as an ADDITION to a song and Monolyth provides it all. Topping NX4 DSD had roll off under 20Hz as most dac/amps and its Bass boost makes subbass and bass one huge mess, no matter the EQ. As a basshead, I would only use gain and then EQ on it.

Re. power, I get to -10dB on THX (range is -60 dB to +16 dB) and after both above IEMs are peoperly Basshead EQ'd, going above 0 dB on the display would destroy my hearing after one minute. None of the said IEMs distort from underpowering or when too loud. (Sub)bass is very tight and detailed and really extends far under 10 Hz.

Both above IEMs (which LOVE power) do NOT need more power than what Monolith provides, which is super cool, as I was EVEN CRAZY considering IFI signature with balanced 4100mW for them.

Oh...I have absolutely no hiss/static or any other problems with the unit. Tried also with Jade EA3, and KZ AS16.

227 EUR currently on Monoprice.eu I paid 290 EUR ...dmn...

Sony EX800ST (tape-modded) wins the battle vs. Aurisonics ASG 2.5 (fully open ports) re. overall sound, but it is more about ISOLATION (yes, What!!!).

I can't believe that when on skateboard (hardest wheels 103A), I hear 'him' much more with ASG 2.5 (damn huge vent ports) than with Sonys. Bass extends lower on Sonys too and they push more air. Measured with hoodie ON lol.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #152 of 191
Wow, dead thread. How about I revive it? Such a great little unit deserves more attention.

I just got one this week and the clarity and detail it provides for my iems is amazing. Plenty of soundstage, great stereo imaging. There is no hint of muddiness or warmness at all. Just crisp, clear sound.

I've been using it mostly with my Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered's. These are already detail monsters with a slightly warm of neutral tuning and the Monolith just lets them shine. I know that people always exaggerate by saying that they're, "hearing things that they've never heard before." I'm not one for hyperbole so I won't go that far but the Monolith has the ability to bring the microdetails, that were already present, to the forefront so that they are more accessible to my ears. While not sacrificing soundstage either. Great depth, height, and width to the imaging.

Attachments

• photo_2021-04-27_17-57-35.jpg
    photo_2021-04-27_17-57-35.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2021-04-27_17-57-36.jpg
    photo_2021-04-27_17-57-36.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2021-04-28_14-20-31.jpg
    photo_2021-04-28_14-20-31.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #153 of 191
Wow, dead thread. How about I revive it? Such a great little unit deserves more attention.

I just got one this week and the clarity and detail it provides for my iems is amazing. Plenty of soundstage, great stereo imaging. There is no hint of muddiness or warmness at all. Just crisp, clear sound.

I've been using it mostly with my Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered's. These are already detail monsters with a slightly warm of neutral tuning and the Monolith just lets them shine. I know that people always exaggerate by saying that they're, "hearing things that they've never heard before." I'm not one for hyperbole so I won't go that far but the Monolith has the ability to bring the microdetails, that were already present to the forefront, so that they are more accessible to my ears. While not sacrificing soundstage either. Great depth, height, and width to the imaging.

I absolutely agree. :snowflake:

Reviving this thread is a good idea.

After 8 months of using THX I do not feel the need to worry about a 'there is a better, newer, much more strong and expensive dac/amp'.

Seriously, I owned Topping NX4 DSD, still own Headstage Arrow 5TX but the bass roll-off under 20 Hz is THERE for both. Sometimes when bored, I grab Arrow, which has btw. much more peak mW output compared to THX, but the story is the same. Bass roll-off under 20 Hz. No air being pushed on ear-drums.

As a basshead, I really LOVE the quality of (sub) bass under 50 Hz with the THX. And, as you wrote above, the overall quality of presentation is clinically precise in the whole sound spectrum.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #155 of 191
Funny how this thread just got revived. Is there ANYTHING else out there that has these kinds of features? I don’t think so.

this solves my problem with the frustration involved with trying to get some PEQ happening while streaming. Only has 3 bands but the low/high cut is sort of like having two more. I can’t believe there is nothing else out there that lets you do this. Sold

May 24, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #156 of 191
Not in a portable unit. However, I still find the menu a tad clunky and you're left with having to reset the whole thing if wanting to resolve back to default of any eq changes. Small quibble, same on the desktop unit. Still, the interface and battery could improve. I hope they keep it in rotation for updates / new version. It has a ton of potential.

May 24, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #157 of 191
Only issue that I find annoying is that whenever I connect to my iPhone and I am listening to Tidal and browsing the internet, some Songs tend to skip occasionally which I find annoying. My dragonfly red does not skip.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #159 of 191
Update: I loved the portable so much I went out and got the big boy!

I might hold on to the portable or sell it off. I feel like having both is a bit redundant since I don't take gear outside of the house but I'm a happy camper. If endgame exists this is it for me.

20210908_174103.jpg

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #160 of 191
This is still the best portable dac/amp under 700$. And i guess there just isnt anything better even over 1000$ on sound quality. This little thing is just as good as my 700€ desktop set: SMSL SU-9/SMSL SP200 combo. Ofc not as powerful but drives my hifiman ananda, LCD-2C, audeze SINE, HD800 etc with ease.
FB_IMG_1580794314731.jpg

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #163 of 191
I felt like giving this little fella a run today. Generally love it but today I've picked up an issue and wondering if anyone here can test and verify.

Listening to Doin It Right by Daft Punk (which is I believe has one of the lowest recorded bass notes of any song). With DIRAC on, the super low bass note at 27 seconds and again at 38 seconds seems to distort. Tried it with Sennheiser HD 598, Grado sr60x Hifiman Arya and Focal Clear. (The fact that I checked with all those headphones and am now posting about it here makes me feel mental - but I digress).

Does anyone else have the same experience with this track on the Monolith Portable? Or more generally have issues wth DIRAC causing distortion?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #164 of 191
I felt like giving this little fella a run today. Generally love it but today I've picked up an issue and wondering if anyone here can test and verify.

Listening to Doin It Tight by Daft Punk (which is I believe has one of the lowest recorded bass notes of any song). With DIRAC on, the super low bass note at 27 seconds and again at 38 seconds seems to distort. Tried it with Sennheiser HD 598, Grado sr60x Hifiman Arya and Focal Clear. (The fact that I checked with all those headphones and am now posting about it here makes me feel mental - but I digress).

Does anyone else have the same experience with this track on the Monolith Portable? Or more generally have issues wth DIRAC causing distortion?
If you're mental, we're all mental here . . . . cause I would do the exact same thing Haha

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #165 of 191

Listening to Doin It Tight by Daft Punk (which is I believe has one of the lowest recorded bass notes of any song). With DIRAC on, the super low bass note at 27 seconds and again at 38 seconds seems to distort. Tried it with Sennheiser HD 598, Grado sr60x Hifiman Arya and Focal Clear. (The fact that I checked with all those headphones and am now posting about it here makes me feel mental - but I digress).

Must be the DIRAC. I keep all of those features and EQ off. I listen to that song fairly regularly and haven't had a problem. I've never trusted software features like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back