Monoprice Portable THX AAA Amplifier
May 5, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #46 of 191
Yes, and i wish it was that way. But my ears tell me otherwise. This is the most noise ive heard from an audio device :/. Rather frustrating, because its a very cool gadget for its features and price.

May 5, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #47 of 191
Yes, and i wish it was that way. But my ears tell me otherwise. This is the most noise ive heard from an audio device :/. Rather frustrating, because its a very cool gadget for its features and price.
I do not disbelieve you whatsoever. But for me, I cannot hear any noise (that the device is responsible for) on any of my big phones (Dekoni Blue, Beyerdynamic T90, Sony Z7, AKG KXxx). The noise I hear on my BA stuff might be impedence mismatching. Who knows, I’ve been to a lot of loud rock concerts, so it could just be my hearing too. :wink:
Too bad you didn’t “love” it. For me (with my Dekoni’s) it’s like a caramel covered marshmallow Audio pie! Sickly sweet! :)
Edit: by the way, I’m listening to it as a DAC/amp with a dap as transport. I have not tested it with a phone or hooked up to my computer to check for RF noise in those situations. When I get a chance, I will.
Did you find much difference with your noise observation in those scenarios?

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #48 of 191
Can anyone with the device post a picture with something like say a deck of cards? I'm wondering about it's size as a portable/pocketable device.

Thanks in advance.

May 6, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #49 of 191
Can anyone with the device post a picture with something like say a deck of cards? I'm wondering about it's size as a portable/pocketable device.

Thanks in advance.
EF2B5D7D-6B6A-48E1-BAEA-F3A4D5C30EA5.jpeg
Pack of cigarettes, THX with Hidizs AP80, Shanling M3s.
Edit: All the Devices are the same thickness.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #51 of 191
Good to hear the Z5 doesn't show the hiss much, tho @bassct you also has the DGF Red, how do you think the two compares?
Thsoe are basically the only 2 DAC/AMP I'm considering r/n (might even buy both as both has different use case in mind)

May 6, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #52 of 191
To silver : i had it hooked up to a USB cable but only for data. It excels with full size headphones, where you cant perceive any noise. I liked the amp a lot, but decided to return and wait for another/different implementation of THX tech. I did not have any SPDIF cables, i wanted to try optic input, but to do that i had to order a separate cable.
To sp12er3 : DFR is good and what it does, but its inferior to any portable amp with a battery. I am not an expert on the matter, but DFR just simply cant supply the amount of power that a separate AMP with a battery will. The Red is good because of its simplicity and it works really well. Monolith is more powerful and versatile, with more features. I would have kept it 1000% if it wasnt for that interference.

In my opinion: if this portable DAC/AMP had no battery, had a USB or a dedicated 5v-9v power input, had all of its interference issues fixed and eliminated ... it would be PERFECT. It would be a small desktop DAC/AMP with cool features and clean dynamic sound.

May 6, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #53 of 191
To silver : i had it hooked up to a USB cable but only for data. It excels with full size headphones, where you cant perceive any noise. I liked the amp a lot, but decided to return and wait for another/different implementation of THX tech. I did not have any SPDIF cables, i wanted to try optic input, but to do that i had to order a separate cable.
To sp12er3 : DFR is good and what it does, but its inferior to any portable amp with a battery. I am not an expert on the matter, but DFR just simply cant supply the amount of power that a separate AMP with a battery will. The Red is good because of its simplicity and it works really well. Monolith is more powerful and versatile, with more features. I would have kept it 1000% if it wasnt for that interference.

In my opinion: if this portable DAC/AMP had no battery, had a USB or a dedicated 5v-9v power input, had all of its interference issues fixed and eliminated ... it would be PERFECT. It would be a small desktop DAC/AMP with cool features and clean dynamic sound.
There is that Fiio flagship portable DAC/amp that will have a THX amp module coming out very soon...Q5s with amp D.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #56 of 191

Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for actually, the THX Monolith for desktop/ PC Use while the DFR for IEM use outside.

May 6, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #57 of 191
I think Monolith is priced appropriately. over 300$ for Q5s, even though it has so many features and modules, is just a bit too much. Why not just get a good dedicated DAP with enough power, and eliminate an extra link between the music source and headphones.

May 6, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #58 of 191
I think Monolith is priced appropriately. over 300$ for Q5s, even though it has so many features and modules, is just a bit too much. Why not just get a good dedicated DAP with enough power, and eliminate an extra link between the music source and headphones.
Well that was the conundrum. I was all excited that Fiio was releasing the THx amp module and was planning on getting the next generation Fiio Dap that could use it...then Fiio said that they weren’t going to make a modular amp DAP anymore. What!?!?! So I’m went with the Monoprice because I was only interested in the THX, and I could just strap a little dap to it. Q5s was too much cash, all things considered. Plus I liked all the EQ and Dirac stuff that the other doesn’t have.

May 20, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #60 of 191
Is USB noise still an issue when using a phone as the source? If so, is there a decent USB noise filter that would work well?

Also, will noise be an issue with the HiFiMan Sundara?

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back