Monoprice Portable THX AAA Amplifier
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #16 of 191
D

Does the sound rival a desktop setup? The only portable I've heard that does is the Hugo 2.
I agreee Hugo2 is awesome according to the community but it is 2k. I think for a desktop system I would look elsewhere. Also for portable and easy to drive phones I would look at Dragonfly- my go to gym rig, but if you want to take somewhat hard to drive cans on the go, this is a great option. Or if you want a system for both on the go and desktop this would also be a great choice. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #17 of 191
I agreee Hugo2 is awesome according to the community but it is 2k. I think for a desktop system I would look elsewhere. Also for portable and easy to drive phones I would look at Dragonfly- my go to gym rig, but if you want to take somewhat hard to drive cans on the go, this is a great option. Or if you want a system for both on the go and desktop this would also be a great choice. Just my two cents.
Have you tried the EQ? Is it better than the bass boost on the portable AMPs?

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #19 of 191
Any other comparisons and thoughts about this? I just bought the desktop amp/dac and have been very impressed. Curious about the portable version as I think it might work well with the V30+ as the source.

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #20 of 191
Yeah that flexibility in tuning is quite tempting, if it also have the sound and technicality to back it up, it'd be a nice one indeed.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #21 of 191
I picked up one of these to use, while I wait for my DAP repair or the DX220 or Q5s to be released.

A few positives;
*The sound is absolutely fantastic, very smooth and the low end is pronounced while remaining tight! A very enjoyable portable output. I have tried the dac/amp from a Win10 PC. The drivers are plug and play, and otg from a dap and smartphone. Both work fine with no issues. I have found that Neutron and Onkyo HF Pkayer play bitperfect. USB Audio Player Pro does NOT play bitperfect. Everything upsamples to 192 using USB Audio Player.
*Tons of useable power, for large cans.
*Both channels have equal sound balance, at low volumes, so I don't hear any crosstalk issues. I listen at low volumes so this is major plus in my book.

A few negatives;
* The noise floor is absolutely unusable for sensitive iems. Campfire or Shure users, look elsewhere or by the ifi iematch. Just connecting iems and turning the amp on (no source), slightly past to -60db, and the hiss is loud with my iems. Regular cans are fine, ie..no hiss with music. If you really concentrate you can hear a not so black background in silent parts of some songs, even with regular size cans.

*The volume knob is smooth, but you must be careful, as it jumps in volume FAST. You can't store this in your pocket or your bag and move with it. I love knobs, but this device seems like a button would have worked better, or maybe a knob that has some resistance to stop it from moving so quickly.

The slightest touch and BOOM in sound output. This jump in volume also happens if you are using otg, and forget to mute the dac/amp before playing from a phone or dap. First time thatvhapoen, was a whoa moment
*micro USB sucks, especially for a device that costs $280 + tax + shipping.
*No bluetooth (not mandatory, but it would have been nice) and no balanced 2.5 (or 4.4mm). The device has tons of power, but maybe a balanced output would improve the high noise floor.

Lastly, this is nitpicking, but at this price I would have liked to a USB C to micro B otg cable, one short and one long, included in the box.

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #22 of 191
I picked up one of these to use, while I wait for my DAP repair or the DX220 or Q5s to be released.

A few positives;
*The sound is absolutely fantastic, very smooth and the low end is pronounced while remaining tight! A very enjoyable portable output. I have tried the dac/amp from a Win10 PC. The drivers are plug and play, and otg from a dap and smartphone. Both work fine with no issues. I have found that Neutron and Onkyo HF Pkayer play bitperfect. USB Audio Player Pro does NOT play bitperfect. Everything upsamples to 192 using USB Audio Player.
*Tons of useable power, for large cans.
*Both channels have equal sound balance, at low volumes, so I don't hear any crosstalk issues. I listen at low volumes so this is major plus in my book.

A few negatives;
* The noise floor is absolutely unusable for sensitive iems. Campfire or Shure users, look elsewhere or by the ifi iematch. Just connecting iems and turning the amp on (no source), slightly past to -60db, and the hiss is loud with my iems. Regular cans are fine, ie..no hiss with music. If you really concentrate you can hear a not so black background in silent parts of some songs, even with regular size cans.

*The volume knob is smooth, but you must be careful, as it jumps in volume FAST. You can't store this in your pocket or your bag and move with it. I love knobs, but this device seems like a button would have worked better, or maybe a knob that has some resistance to stop it from moving so quickly.

The slightest touch and BOOM in sound output. This jump in volume also happens if you are using otg, and forget to mute the dac/amp before playing from a phone or dap. First time thatvhapoen, was a whoa moment
*micro USB sucks, especially for a device that costs $280 + tax + shipping.
*No bluetooth (not mandatory, but it would have been nice) and no balanced 2.5 (or 4.4mm). The device has tons of power, but maybe a balanced output would improve the high noise floor.

Lastly, this is nitpicking, but at this price I would have liked to a USB C to micro B otg cable, one short and one long, included in the box.
Just for an amp with EQ do you think this is better than the ifi xcan?

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #23 of 191
do you mean the Monoprice THX?
If the sound of this will rival even a Magni/Modi stack I'll shell out the cash pronto.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #25 of 191
Just got this amp yesterday. I like the build quality. Reminds me of the Aune B1s, which I think is one of the most handsome pieces of kit around. Love the knob, it’s unique and cool. Works great as a transport for DAPs. Wish I could give an accurate sound description, but i’ve Got a sinus cold right now and it’s messing with my ears. I think the Ak4493 has a lot to do with the presentation, as it sounds like a device I have with that chip (as far as how the instruments are presented). That’s a real good thing. Better impressions when my hearing is back to normal.

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #26 of 191
Just got this amp yesterday. I like the build quality. Reminds me of the Aune B1s, which I think is one of the most handsome pieces of kit around. Love the knob, it’s unique and cool. Works great as a transport for DAPs. Wish I could give an accurate sound description, but i’ve Got a sinus cold right now and it’s messing with my ears. I think the Ak4493 has a lot to do with the presentation, as it sounds like a device I have with that chip (as far as how the instruments are presented). That’s a real good thing. Better impressions when my hearing is back to normal.

How is the noise floor on your device? I am curious if it's just my device. What headphones are you using?

Just for an amp with EQ do you think this is better than the ifi xcan?

As an amp, definitely yes. The monoprice will make most headphones sing, imo. The eq works well, but the menu structure is cumbersome.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #27 of 191
How is the noise floor on your device? I am curious if it's just my device. What headphones are you using?

I'd love to be able to give you an answer, but my ears are stuffed up from a sinus cold. I'll let you know in a couple of days when my cold gets better.
I'm using a pair of Dekoni Blue (like a Fostex T50), Sony Z7, HD650, AKG KXXX, and a pair of Beyerdynamic T90 (which don't sound that great unless I run it through a big amp). I'm most curious about the Beyers. The amp runs the Dekoni's really well and with the right authority. I just can't give any detailed impressions, because I'm sick.

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #28 of 191
I'd love to be able to give you an answer, but my ears are stuffed up from a sinus cold. I'll let you know in a couple of days when my cold gets better.
I'm using a pair of Dekoni Blue (like a Fostex T50), Sony Z7, HD650, AKG KXXX, and a pair of Beyerdynamic T90 (which don't sound that great unless I run it through a big amp). I'm most curious about the Beyers. The amp runs the Dekoni's really well and with the right authority. I just can't give any detailed impressions, because I'm sick.

With those devices, you won't hear the noise I am referring to . Its only an issue with iems.

Hope you feel better.

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #29 of 191
With those devices, you won't hear the noise I am referring to . Its only an issue with iems.

Hope you feel better.
I can check with some iems as well. I've got a pair of Sony Z5 that are not that sensitive and a pair of Shure 500 series that are sensitive (although I'd probably never use this amp with it for fear of an accidental nuclear bomb blast to my ears! Hate it when that happens!)

Apr 14, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #30 of 191
I can check with some iems as well. I've got a pair of Sony Z5 that are not that sensitive and a pair of Shure 500 series that are sensitive (although I'd probably never use this amp with it for fear of an accidental nuclear bomb blast to my ears! Hate it when that happens!)
Yes, that is the only bad with what seems to an excellent DAC/AMP. They should have put at least a volume limiter to avoid disaster like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back