Monoprice Monolith THX 887 - Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #140 of 359
Hmm, I'll check a set of IEMs on my amp to see if I can hear any noise tonight.

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #141 of 359
Thanks...this is in no means a negative thing or takes anything away from this amp....but at least we know this is a trait of SS amps that there will always be some device noise at extremes especially when a load is being driven outside of the optimal gain setting.

If I use a 250 or 300 or 600 ohm headphone connected to the amp, there is no "noise" or "hiss".

As one of the engineers from THX stated in this thread you need to use only the amount of gain to drive you headphones to reasonable listening levels....

This is an EXCELLENT amp and using the balanced output with Focal Clears is one of the best audio experiences I have ever heard
with headphones....

Alex

Jan 1, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #142 of 359
Is it fully balanced from the input to the output?

The 789 for example have a SE volume control, so any balanced signal is going to be converted to SE one then back to be balanced for the output stage.

And how is the noise floor? my THX788 is noisy for IEMs.

Jan 1, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #143 of 359
This unit is almost identical to the 789, except for that it has some upgraded components inside and a MUCH better build quality throughout. This is an SE amp, just like the 789 despite the balanced in and out connectors. It's an absolutely great sounding amp too.

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #144 of 359
From the designer:

"The THX 887 is actually internally a single-ended device and uses a dedicated balanced headphone output circuit. It doesn't matter whether you input a balanced or single-ended signal."
and
"The advantage of using the balanced output even with SE input is more power"...

I have found on 2 units now with low impedance cans or iems you need to use the lower gain setting and there is no hiss etc...if you crank up the gain to 2 or 3 level position AND use exterme volumes there will be
some hiss with nothing playing, but if you try to listen at these levels this will most likley "DAMAGE" you hearing!! Dont do this!! Not good at all!!

Alex

Jan 1, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #145 of 359
As a practical matter this amp is dead silent, when there is no source material being played, it is like the amp is turned off. In fact I am thankful for the little power led, it keeps me from having to guess if it is on or off.

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #148 of 359
The amp is great, it has the best dynamic ability of any amp I've owned but I wouldn't go writing off all other amps. Synergy is king my friends, measurements are not.

As an example a friend and I sat down recently and found that the HE-560 sounds much better on a CMA600i than it does on the THX 887. More engaging, airy and the experience was quite enjoyable. The warmth of the amp really helped the sterility of the HE-560 and this combo was fantastic. The bass has more punch and meat to it and the 887's bass is so tight and controlled the engagement and euphoric sound was lost. My HD600 is the opposite and the 887 gets the subbass down lower on these cans than any amp I've heard before and the wicked clean nature pairs well with the 600. The 887 is the fastest amp I've ever heard and the 600 series lit up and performed with its warmer sound being fed such a clean signal.

This is a preference hobby, if you think one amp will sound the best on every headphone due to the fact it measures flat I highly suggest that you try out some more gear and find some great combos of your own. You might be surprised.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #150 of 359
There is nothing wrong with anyone wanting to spend more than $400.

I agree that there are some very nice amps in the $400 and less range, but there are many good amps above this price point.

Whether they provide any sonic improvement is debateable and will be until the end of time!!

Alex

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back