Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #481 of 624
Mine "blew up" with light use after 2 years. But, I have heard that unplugging and plugging it in without turning the amp off first, may have caused this. I was definitely rearranging the setup and may have done just that.

To be safe...never plug in the power supply with the amp already on.
Plug the power supply in while the amp is off first, then attach to the power supply to the AC mains.

Probably would last a long long time if you remember this tip.

Cheers!

P.S. - my "preamp section" still works dandy, but the amp has drastic distortion.

Dr. Cavalli is very specific about making sure that the LP 's power input is plugged into the amp before the amp is plugged into a wall socket. Also, that the volume is all the way down before plugging or unplugging your headphones.

This also applies to the Liquid Spark.

He was also very specific about not shorting the balanced output of the LP which could damage both the amp and headphones connected to the output.

Had been demoing a DNA Starlett for the past month (a superb headphone amp for the money), yet was pleasantly surprised at how well the Liquid Platinum compared to the Starlett.

IMHO the Starlett is better in every way as it should be given the price difference. Yet, the LP was surprisingly good. Especially at its $399.99 on sale price.

Have now had my LP for over a month and continue to be impressed by its sound quality.😊

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #482 of 624
Dr. Cavalli is very specific about making sure that the LP 's power input is plugged into the amp before the
amp is plugged into a wall socket. Also, that the volume is all the way down before plugging or unplugging
your headphones. He was also very specific about not shorting the balanced output of the LP which
could damage both the amp and headphones connected to the output.

Have had my LP for over a month now and continue to be impressed by its
sound quality.😊

Glad it is well known not to do these thing :wink:

I can testify bad things will happen if you do not heed the advice.

Feb 6, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #483 of 624
I was still having that old pop when Amp is turned on I avoided that issue by powering my amp first then speakers getting turned on (preamp) when using the line out, I just wait for the led to white and then plug in. It's an isolated case as many here didn't have that issue. So I was looking at what alternatives we have, esp having it in a "single package" that's what I was actually looking for however I have no other audio gear or setup to put my existing stack / gear to use, can't just throw them away lol, they work SUPERB and sound fantastic for Movies, Games, Music and everything !!

I found Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology (Dual AKM 4493 DACs & Dual AAA-788 Modules). I was really interested in upgrading to that since it also has Preamps which are very important for me. It was really end game of the end game despite being 2x the cost of existing stack that I have, but sadly it has an issue with how the volume operates, it's not quick like Spark. That killed it for me sadly, ..Also FYI to quote from ASR forums.

"The display looks a bit grainy to my eyes but it does the job. What doesn't is the volume control. It is digital which is fine. Not so fine is that it runs way behind the volume knob if you turn it quickly. You can literally take your hand off and watch it keep going for a few seconds. And it is not just the display: the volume adjusts in sync with it meaning if you play something quite loud, it may take a while to get the volume down. The logic for this needs to be modified in the firmware to skip values when the knob is turned quickly (i.e. have acceleration)"

Maybe Monoprice might release a v2 with remote and fixing that issue.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #484 of 624
I was still having that old pop when Amp is turned on I avoided that issue by powering my amp first then speakers getting turned on (preamp) when using the line out, I just wait for the led to white and then plug in. It's an isolated case as many here didn't have that issue. So I was looking at what alternatives we have, esp having it in a "single package" that's what I was actually looking for however I have no other audio gear or setup to put my existing stack / gear to use, can't just throw them away lol, they work SUPERB and sound fantastic for Movies, Games, Music and everything !!

I found Monoprice Desktop Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology (Dual AKM 4493 DACs & Dual AAA-788 Modules). I was really interested in upgrading to that since it also has Preamps which are very important for me. It was really end game of the end game despite being 2x the cost of existing stack that I have, but sadly it has an issue with how the volume operates, it's not quick like Spark. That killed it for me sadly, ..Also FYI to quote from ASR forums.

"The display looks a bit grainy to my eyes but it does the job. What doesn't is the volume control. It is digital which is fine. Not so fine is that it runs way behind the volume knob if you turn it quickly. You can literally take your hand off and watch it keep going for a few seconds. And it is not just the display: the volume adjusts in sync with it meaning if you play something quite loud, it may take a while to get the volume down. The logic for this needs to be modified in the firmware to skip values when the knob is turned quickly (i.e. have acceleration)"

Maybe Monoprice might release a v2 with remote and fixing that issue.
the sound of that amp is really different imo, its much brighter and has weaker dynamics. If you have bright headphones, the difference will be amplified

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #485 of 624
Is this thread just for the amp, or the DAC as well? I noticed they released a new or refreshed DAC by the same name, around October 2020. Anyone used it and compared it to the Modi 3+?

For example I originally bought the Modi 3+ and Magni 3+, but the higher notes made my ears hurt. I thought I'd try LS amp and I love it! It rounded off the painful notes and everything sounds a lot better now, deep bass rumble too. So I will definitely be returning the Magni 3+ in favor of the LS amp.

But will there be a similar tonal difference in the dacs between the LS dac AKM AK4493EQ and the Modi 3+s AKM AK4490? Or in any other aspect of the DACs that would modify the sound like the amps did? Would it be worth to return the Modi 3+? I'd do it if you believe there will be a sound difference. And I'd having a matching dac and amp again :)

Here is a link to the Monolith DAC https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38965

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #486 of 624
Is this thread just for the amp, or the DAC as well? I noticed they released a new or refreshed DAC by the same name, around October 2020. Anyone used it and compared it to the Modi 3+?

For example I originally bought the Modi 3+ and Magni 3+, but the higher notes made my ears hurt. I thought I'd try LS amp and I love it! It rounded off the painful notes and everything sounds a lot better now, deep bass rumble too. So I will definitely be returning the Magni 3+ in favor of the LS amp.

But will there be a similar tonal difference in the dacs between the LS dac AKM AK4493EQ and the Modi 3+s AKM AK4490? Or in any other aspect of the DACs that would modify the sound like the amps did? Would it be worth to return the Modi 3+? I'd do it if you believe there will be a sound difference. And I'd having a matching dac and amp again :)

Here is a link to the Monolith DAC https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38965
I haven't heard the Magni/Modi combo, but I do own the Liquid Spark. I think the Liquid Sparks would be a nicer stack that the Schiit combo.
I am not a Schiit hater. I recently bought a Bifrost 2 and I love my Loki, but the Schiit amps don't move me. I had a Vali 2 and moved it along, but I hear great things about the Asgard 3.

Full disclosure: I LOVE my Liquid Spark and Liquid Platinum. I even enjoyed the Drop Liquid Carbon X. So, I am a Cavalli fan boy. :grin:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #487 of 624
I haven't heard the Magni/Modi combo, but I do own the Liquid Spark. I think the Liquid Sparks would be a nicer stack that the Schiit combo.
I am not a Schiit hater. I recently bought a Bifrost 2 and I love my Loki, but the Schiit amps don't move me. I had a Vali 2 and moved it along, but I hear great things about the Asgard 3.

Full disclosure: I LOVE my Liquid Spark and Liquid Platinum. I even enjoyed the Drop Liquid Carbon X. So, I am a Cavalli fan boy. :grin:
You're saying you liked the LS more than the Vali 2? Because I've been thinking of checking that one out too. if you think the LS amp sounded better, I may as well not bother with the Vali, esp since one review mentioned it still sounds very analytical despite having a tube.

What did you like more about the LS amp compared to the Vali?

Mar 8, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #488 of 624

Have to agree. I have an A3, Liquid Platinum and Liquid Spark, and IMHO they are all outstanding headphone amp's at
their respective prices. I like the original Magni 3 which I have had for over three years. However, it can be easily overdriven
with inefficient headphones that need lots of voltage like the HD600 and HD6XX, and gets harsh sounding when it is.

I do find that it works surprisingly well with my Hifiman HE4XX and Fostex T50RP MK3, both of which require lots of current (which the Magni 3 delivers).

Regarding the Schiit Vali 2, it was recently replaced by the Vali 2+, which is reported to have a very different sound
then the Vali 2. Schiit offers a 15 day trial period, so you can test the Vali 2+ to see if it suits you. Monoprice also
offers a trial period (30 days?), so you may be able to compare both the Liquid Spark and Vali 2+ and then choose the amp you like best.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #489 of 624
You're saying you liked the LS more than the Vali 2? Because I've been thinking of checking that one out too. if you think the LS amp sounded better, I may as well not bother with the Vali, esp since one review mentioned it still sounds very analytical despite having a tube.

What did you like more about the LS amp compared to the Vali?
I found the Vali 2 very loud and clear, but not the least bit tubey. I found it very flat and neutral. When I first heard it, I immediately thought soild state for some reason. It was a used unit and came with several tubes. I played around and liked it fine, but never loved it.

The Liquid Spark, to me, has a fuller, more fun sound and I enjoyed it with many headphones. I bought an open box and it cost me about $150.00Cdn., landed.
It has since cost me MUCH more money to get amps that were noticeably better than my little Spark.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #490 of 624
I found the Vali 2 very loud and clear, but not the least bit tubey. I found it very flat and neutral. When I first heard it, I immediately thought soild state for some reason. It was a used unit and came with several tubes. I played around and liked it fine, but never loved it.

The Liquid Spark, to me, has a fuller, more fun sound and I enjoyed it with many headphones. I bought an open box and it cost me about $150.00Cdn., landed.
It has since cost me MUCH more money to get amps that were noticeably better than my little Spark.
Good to know! If you say it still sounded clear then I'm definitely not interested in it. I will stick with the LS and I suppose get the LS DAC to match it, and return the Modi?

Which LS do you mean cost you $150 open box? Because LS Spark is a mere $99 (equiv $125cdn) brand new in the US

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #491 of 624
Have to agree. I have an A3, Liquid Platinum and Liquid Spark, and IMHO they are all outstanding headphone amp's at
their respective prices. I like the original Magni 3 which I have had for over three years. However, it can be easily overdriven
with inefficient headphones that need lots of voltage like the HD600 and HD6XX, and gets harsh sounding when it is.

I do find that it works surprisingly well with my Hifiman HE4XX and Fostex T50RP MK3, both of which require lots of current (which the Magni 3 delivers).

Regarding the Schiit Vali 2, it was recently replaced by the Vali 2+, which is reported to have a very different sound
then the Vali 2. Schiit offers a 15 day trial period, so you can test the Vali 2+ to see if it suits you. Monoprice also
offers a trial period (30 days?), so you may be able to compare both the Liquid Spark and Vali 2+ and then choose the amp you like best.
Schiit offers 15 day trial but:
1. it cost $20 to ship to Illinois from CA. I've never had shipping that expensive in the US before from a business.
2. You must pay 15% restocking fee (so $23 in the case of the Vali 2+)
3. you must pay shipping back (another $10-20)

That's a pretty expensive trial period tbh. It was my initial plan until I realized it basically doesn't make sense to return gear to JDS and Schiit.

Side note: I find it ___ that Schiit upcharges $20 (maybe more) on their Amazon listings. For example their Modi's and Magni's are $119/each on Amazon, when sold by Schiit - with "Free shipping" aka same price as if bought from their site for $99 and paid $20 shipping like they made me pay. So seems the real cost of their entry level dacs and amps is really $120.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #492 of 624
Good to know! If you say it still sounded clear then I'm definitely not interested in it. I will stick with the LS and I suppose get the LS DAC to match it, and return the Modi?

Which LS do you mean cost you $150 open box? Because LS Spark is a mere $99 (equiv $125cdn) brand new in the US
For me it was $80.00US, plus shipping to Canada, plus exchange rate and then you have to add 15% sales tax.
We have to be WAY more dedicated in Canada. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #493 of 624
Schiit offers 15 day trial but:
1. it cost $20 to ship to Illinois from CA. I've never had shipping that expensive in the US before from a business.
2. You must pay 15% restocking fee (so $23 in the case of the Vali 2+)
3. you must pay shipping back (another $10-20)

That's a pretty expensive trial period tbh. It was my initial plan until I realized it basically doesn't make sense to return gear to JDS and Schiit.

Side note: I find it ___ that Schiit upcharges $20 (maybe more) on their Amazon listings. For example their Modi's and Magni's are $119/each on Amazon, when sold by Schiit - with "Free shipping" aka same price as if bought from their site for $99 and paid $20 shipping like they made me pay. So seems the real cost of their entry level dacs and amps is really $120.
That was my experience with the Bifrost 2. Return was not an option with shipping and restocking fees. Also there is the tax issue as I paid that to the courier, separately.
If I had tried to return, I would have lost $300.00 and selling in Canada I still would have lost $200.00.
My landed cost up here was $1,135.00, all in. I found it slightly better than my SMSL SU-8, but not to the tune of that kind of money.
Live and learn.:relaxed:

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #495 of 624
Well, just placed an order for the LS DAC. At least Monoprice doesn't have a restocking fee, and free shipping (at least for us lucky people in the US). So will compare it to the Modi 3+
Got it. Unfortunately, unlike the LS amp happilly replacing the Magni 3+, the LS DAC on the other hand is quite a downgrade to in resolution and clarity and bass and noise floor when compared to the Modi 3+. It also responds a lot worse to my Loki EQ for some reason (increasing any dial makes it sound muddy and worse, unlike with the Modi 3+)

So for my headphones and my ears, Modi 3+ and LS amp is a great combo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back