Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jun 12, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #4,846 of 5,150
Yea I had an email sent to monoprice within 30 minutes of operation failure. I do in fact have a tube shop about an hour away from me I was intending to go to soon. If the tubes fail would they still run? If so I don't think it was tubes. Once I had let it sit for a while longer I tried the amp one more time, and by that point it would turn on and the tubes would warm up, but no sound would come through the amp any longer. I was unaware the tubes in the box were not at least factory tested prior to being placed in the box. I will definitely grab some different tubes the next go around. I already ordered another off amazon to get me by while working things out with monoprice on the first one, so I'll grab some tubes too. I'm just guessing it was some kind of short by the rca inputs based on what's still working and what isn't. Great sounding little amp otherwise. Kinda hoping I end up with 2 now and can use one for the experimental tube rolling I've seen others here do.

Just because a tube glows doesn't mean it is good or hasn't failed so bad it would kill the amp. The only way to know if the tubes are still good would be to test them in a tube tester.

Hopefully you can get a replacement for an acceptable price. The current third-party price on Amazon isn't great ($689), but better than not having the amp at all. Just a couple weeks ago the third party price on Amazon was $446. (camelcamelcamel historical Amazon pricing). Buying through Amazon third party means you probably won't get the Monoprice warranty, but will get a 30 day return by Amazon if it fails in the first 30 days.

It is a very nice amp. I like it a lot. Like it enough that I have a spare just in case the first one dies. I want to be listening to this amp when I'm old.

The risk I kinda worry about with the amp is tubes failing in a way that kills the amp (always a risk with hybrid amps), or a power brownout or power outage that happens while the amp is on and interrupts the power on cycle it does when you first turn it on. Either of those things could potentially kill the amp. If you live in an area with poor power then getting a pure sine wave UPS (like a CyberPower PFC Sinewave) would be a good idea.

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #4,847 of 5,150
Another general recommendation is to turn your volume all the way down before turning on your LP. I seem to remember Alex mentioning this way early in this thread as the outrush of current could activate the protection circuit. Just good housekeeping at any rate.
I actually do make sure to do that. I always keep/kept the volume all the way down until the audio is coming through, as even with other amps (guitar) I've had issues with pops on startup and didn't want that with this amp, nor the headphones I've got.

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #4,848 of 5,150
Just because a tube glows doesn't mean it is good or hasn't failed so bad it would kill the amp. The only way to know if the tubes are still good would be to test them in a tube tester.

Hopefully you can get a replacement for an acceptable price. The current third-party price on Amazon isn't great ($689), but better than not having the amp at all. Just a couple weeks ago the third party price on Amazon was $446. (camelcamelcamel historical Amazon pricing). Buying through Amazon third party means you probably won't get the Monoprice warranty, but will get a 30 day return by Amazon if it fails in the first 30 days.

It is a very nice amp. I like it a lot. Like it enough that I have a spare just in case the first one dies. I want to be listening to this amp when I'm old.

The risk I kinda worry about with the amp is tubes failing in a way that kills the amp (always a risk with hybrid amps), or a power brownout or power outage that happens while the amp is on and interrupts the power on cycle it does when you first turn it on. Either of those things could potentially kill the amp. If you live in an area with poor power then getting a pure sine wave UPS (like a CyberPower PFC Sinewave) would be a good idea.
I must have gotten the last lower priced third party amp on amazon yesterday if that's what they're at now. I got the incoming replacement for about $410 after tax. So I have something to listen to while I work out the other amp with monoprice. I actually have a cyberpower saved in one of my lists on amazon (was a recommendation earlier in this thread I believe), just haven't yet grabbed one as I was saving for a few other components first. I know they're advertised as pure sine wave but are they actually reliable in that sense? I've only done a little bit of research into them and I know just about any ups advertises as pure sine just because it tricks most into not looking further. The fact that its been recommended here a few times in probably a good enough sine (HA get it!?) that its a reliable product.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #4,849 of 5,150
I must have gotten the last lower priced third party amp on amazon yesterday if that's what they're at now. I got the incoming replacement for about $410 after tax. So I have something to listen to while I work out the other amp with monoprice. I actually have a cyberpower saved in one of my lists on amazon (was a recommendation earlier in this thread I believe), just haven't yet grabbed one as I was saving for a few other components first. I know they're advertised as pure sine wave but are they actually reliable in that sense? I've only done a little bit of research into them and I know just about any ups advertises as pure sine just because it tricks most into not looking further. The fact that its been recommended here a few times in probably a good enough sine (HA get it!?) that its a reliable product.

The Cyberpower PFC UPS is a good enough sine wave for audio gear. What won't work are UPSs that do stepped waves or square waves as a pseudo sine wave.

The Cyberpower PFC UPSs are line interactive style. Meaning they only switch over to the pure sine wave when on battery power when the power goes out. When running on regular power you get the regular sine wave that the power company sends you.

To get a UPS that cleans up the power and does a pure sine wave all the time requires a double conversion style UPS. And those are quite a bit more expensive. Typically around $1500 or more.

Here's an article that describes line interactive UPS and double conversion UPS: https://www.qpsolutions.net/ups/line-interactive-vs-double-conversion-ups-which-ones-best/

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #4,850 of 5,150
The Cyberpower PFC UPS is a good enough sine wave for audio gear. What won't work are UPSs that do stepped waves or square waves as a pseudo sine wave.

The Cyberpower PFC UPSs are line interactive style. Meaning they only switch over to the pure sine wave when on battery power when the power goes out. When running on regular power you get the regular sine wave that the power company sends you.

To get a UPS that cleans up the power and does a pure sine wave all the time requires a double conversion style UPS. And those are quite a bit more expensive. Typically around $1500 or more.

Here's an article that describes line interactive UPS and double conversion UPS: https://www.qpsolutions.net/ups/line-interactive-vs-double-conversion-ups-which-ones-best/
Thank you. I had looked at the PSAudio stuff when looking for ups/line conditioners etc, and they are very much out of my price range. This is exactly the info I was looking for because the opinions on power sources seem to vary wildly from person to person and community to community. Good to know that the cyber power is pure sine and not stepped. The wiring in my apt is just old, so I can't say how reliable it would be. Having that peace of mind is worth the cash.

Jun 12, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #4,851 of 5,150
Thank you. I had looked at the PSAudio stuff when looking for ups/line conditioners etc, and they are very much out of my price range. This is exactly the info I was looking for because the opinions on power sources seem to vary wildly from person to person and community to community. Good to know that the cyber power is pure sine and not stepped. The wiring in my apt is just old, so I can't say how reliable it would be. Having that peace of mind is worth the cash.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I picked up this CyberPower PFC 1500VA model for $220 on Amazon at the time when they offered free 5 mo financing on the purchase. I got the more heavy-duty model so that I would have 12 outlets instead of 10, and I believe in overkill. :) So I have my MLP attached to the battery side of the UPS, and everything works great. UPS also feeds my laptop, DAC, and 4K desk panel.

On a side note: since we are entering summer once again, I am quite happy I am using a laptop as my main rig instead of the desktop system. The laptop uses only half the power draw, generates far less heat, and is a more powerful game engine than the desktop system. (5980HX 8-core + 6800M 12GB vs a 3600 6-core + 5700XT 8GB) And laptops are better priced for spec than desktop. (My laptop was $1099, and added $320 worth of upgrades in the form of 2x WD 2TB NVMe and a AX210 wifi, and swapped the 16GB RAM for 32GB from a previous laptop.)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #4,852 of 5,150
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I picked up this CyberPower PFC 1500VA model for $220 on Amazon at the time when they offered free 5 mo financing on the purchase. I got the more heavy-duty model so that I would have 12 outlets instead of 10, and I believe in overkill. :) So I have my MLP attached to the battery side of the UPS, and everything works great. UPS also feeds my laptop, DAC, and 4K desk panel.

On a side note: since we are entering summer once again, I am quite happy I am using a laptop as my main rig instead of the desktop system. The laptop uses only half the power draw, generates far less heat, and is a more powerful game engine than the desktop system. (5980HX 8-core + 6800M 12GB vs a 3600 6-core + 5700XT 8GB) And laptops are better priced for spec than desktop. (My laptop was $1099, and added $320 worth of upgrades in the form of 2x WD 2TB NVMe and a AX210 wifi, and swapped the 16GB RAM for 32GB from a previous laptop.)
Very nice. That's actually the precise one I have saved on my amazon list. Glad to hear it can handle quite a lot of power output. I'm not exactly a genius at figuring out the combined power consumption in a given system, so wiggle room is usually better. Also it leaves room for future additions, which is always a good thing. Guess that's something to move further up on the checklist of purchases.

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #4,853 of 5,150
Very nice. That's actually the precise one I have saved on my amazon list. Glad to hear it can handle quite a lot of power output. I'm not exactly a genius at figuring out the combined power consumption in a given system, so wiggle room is usually better. Also it leaves room for future additions, which is always a good thing. Guess that's something to move further up on the checklist of purchases.
Just an FYI: The 1500VA unit reports that it can run my amp, DAC, laptop, and 4K monitor for approximately 50 minutes on battery. So yeah, overkill. Power draw of all of it is ~160w with laptop idle, 310w while D4 is running, and battery drops to 24 minutes. Since the idea of a UPS is to give you time to shut down safely when you have a blackout, I think I am covered.

Jun 14, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #4,856 of 5,150
Aaand amazon lost the backup I bought.... Not been a good experience sadly.

That's not good.
Is it lost in shipping?

Monoprice does have an open box LP for $419.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=36735
Open box can be a gamble. You don't know what the person who returned it did with the amp. And I don't know what kind of warranty or guarantee Monoprice has for open box amps.

Jun 14, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #4,857 of 5,150
That's not good.
Is it lost in shipping?

Monoprice does have an open box LP for $419.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=36735
Open box can be a gamble. You don't know what the person who returned it did with the amp. And I don't know what kind of warranty or guarantee Monoprice has for open box amps.
Yea lost in shipping. And I would get another from *not Amazon* but now my money is tied up in a return, and a lost package. I can't have a third floating around right now. Just very frustrating situation. I have tubemonger socket savers and bought matched 6922 tubes just for this amp, and now I don't even have one and my money is tied up in two amps I can't use.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #4,858 of 5,150
Yea lost in shipping. And I would get another from *not Amazon* but now my money is tied up in a return, and a lost package. I can't have a third floating around right now. Just very frustrating situation. I have tubemonger socket savers and bought matched 6922 tubes just for this amp, and now I don't even have one and my money is tied up in two amps I can't use.

Fortunately Amazon will absolutely refund you. It just means that your $400-something is tied up for a week or two (or three if you want to wait that long and hope Amazon finds it). If you're able to float that $400-something for two weeks or so you could also order the open box LP from Monoprice and return it if Amazon manages to find the lost LP in a week.

Otherwise the pickings are getting slim for getting an LP now.

I am in the minority here, but I do very much believe the LP is worth every bit of $700. When the LP was released it was $699. Later the MSRP got raised to $799. I bought my first LP a few days after release at full price of $699 and I consider it worth every penny of that. I also consider it a good deal at $600 or under. The problem is that Monoprice has put it on sale at times for under $300. So now everyone expects it to be a $300 amp and if you pay more than $300 you overpaid. That's bunk. Even though some people managed to buy it on sale for just under $300 it is still a worthy amp at $600 or even $700. I honestly don't know what other sub-$1000 amp does what this amp does with the style of sound quality that it does. If my house burned down and I lost my collection of LP amps (and my Liquid Fire) I would not be able to replace them with anything that is under $1000.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #4,859 of 5,150
Fortunately Amazon will absolutely refund you. It just means that your $400-something is tied up for a week or two (or three if you want to wait that long and hope Amazon finds it). If you're able to float that $400-something for two weeks or so you could also order the open box LP from Monoprice and return it if Amazon manages to find the lost LP in a week.

I am in the minority here, but I do very much believe the LP is worth every bit of $700. When the LP was released it was $699. Later the MSRP got raised to $799. I bought my first LP a few days after release at full price of $699 and I consider it worth every penny of that. I also consider it a good deal at $600 or under. The problem is that Monoprice has put it on sale at times for under $300. So now everyone expects it to be a $300 amp and if you pay more than $300 you overpaid. That's bunk. Even though some people managed to buy it on sale for just under $300 it is still a worthy amp at $600 or even $700. I honestly don't know what other sub-$1000 amp does what this amp does with the style of sound quality that it does. If my house burned down and I lost my collection of LP amps (and my Liquid Fire) I would not be able to replace them with anything that is under $1000.
Well I have to wait til I get paid on Friday regardless. I already have about $850 floating around in unusable amps/return waits for now. I definitely have to get one of these amps and was hoping this backup I bought would be it, so fingers crossed they find it. As said before, I bought other new matched tubes just for this amp, as well as the tubemonger socket savers. I would hate having bought these extras just to not have the amp at all. In addition, my headphones (hedd) require quite a lot of power and finding a headphone tube amp that can power them jumps up precipitously in price after the LP. So hopefully this situation rectifies quickly.

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #4,860 of 5,150

Well said. I got mine at discount... but after tube rolling, maybe not :) I'd pay full price for it given that I've tried several other amps but haven't found one that can match this. I've most recently replaced my Gustard desktop DAC with the Cayin RU7 in LO mode to the LP and I'm really impressed with this combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back