Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 5, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #4,456 of 5,150
It's very interesting how this board makes it almost impossible to follow the traces, I think that was intentional, I'd do the same if I was the designer.

Before Alex Cavalli started the commercial side of Cavalli Audio he was very active in releasing amp designs for the DIY community and supporting the DIY community. He's not someone who is going to intentionally hide circuit board traces just to keep a secret.

One of his DIY amp designs is the EHHA. Which was a preview of his embedded hybrid amp design. The Liquid Platinum is an evolution of what Cavalli calls an embedded hybrid style amp. That evolution of the embedded hybrid started with the Stacker amp (DIY), then EHHA (DIY), then Liquid Fire (commercial), then Liquid Crimson (commercial), then Liquid Platinum (commercial). If you know how to interpret amp designs and want to know what it is that is an embedded hybrid then looking an the older DIY designs will give a clue and a roadmap. Unfortunately many of the sites that hosted the DIY designs are now offline. So you'd need to dig into archive sites like the Internet Archive Wayback Machine to find the designs. I first discovered Cavalli hearing some of his DIY amps built by enthusiastic DIYers in the Portland and Seattle area way back before 2010. Then I heard Alex Cavalli demo a pre-production Liquid Fire amp and I was hooked on the Cavalli sound. That was good. You know good wonderful comfortable headphone sound when you hear it. And the Liquid Fire did that with Audeze headphones. And still does.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #4,457 of 5,150
I don't see how it could be a power issue. I have been running this set-up for several months. The only change I have made is selling the RebelAmp and replacing it with the LP(s). And no other amp/DAC/EQ/laptop is bothered with power issues.

That is weird to have two early infant mortality amp failures like that. You're using adaptable cables with different cable adapters. I wonder if the 4-pin XLR balanced adapter cable has developed a short? And that could be the reason the amps are failing after a few hours?

Some balanced headphone amps can handle a short or handle having a cable failure. Others will die a very quick instantaneous death and release the magic smoke. And others will die a slower death over hours or days or weeks. The Liquid Platinum is a design that will die a slow death if you plug a single-ended cable into the balanced output, or if you plug in a balanced cable with a short.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #4,458 of 5,150
Just wanted to add my data point to the whole LP dying issue:
I received mine from the sale and it died after ~5 hours of playback as well. The unit was connected to my Topping DX3 Pro+ through the RCA inputs, and the output was SE to the Monoprice M1570C headphones. The entire setup (PC, DAC, and amp) was plugged into a Cyberpower pure sine wave UPS system.
After it failed, the amp still powered on correctly where the LED stayed orange for ~30 seconds before turning white, and both tubes glowed normally. There was no hissing or distorted sound from the output, just complete silence no matter what the volume knob and input button were set at.

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #4,459 of 5,150
How does the amp perform with 300 ohm headphones like Verite Open?

Purchased yesterday one for my dad since he is getting my old VO, due to a recommendation but saw rather low output of 0,93 watt on balanced output today. Is it a good amplifier for Verite Open?

Apr 5, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #4,460 of 5,150
Why does Liquid Platinum sound so good? Is it the amp design? Pricing tier? Hybrid (tube effect)?

I have experience with handful of solid state amps. From dongles to entry level to mid tier. The most expensive amp I have tried is Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. So I don’t have much experience with more expensive amps.

Amp I have tried before do make small improvement, but never changed my preferred order of headphones.

On the other hand, LP makes a significant improvement. For instance, I use HD560S for gaming. It was ok for music, but not as good as my other headphone. I was blown away with HD560S on LP. I would say HD560S on LP sounds very competitive versus HD660S on cheap solid state amps.

Apr 5, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #4,461 of 5,150
How does the amp perform with 300 ohm headphones like Verite Open?

Purchased yesterday one for my dad since he is getting my old VO, due to a recommendation but saw rather low output of 0,93 watt on balanced output today. Is it a good amplifier for Verite Open?
I have both Verite Open and Closed, as well as Aeolus and all 3 set of cans sound great through the LP. It has no problem driving these cans. I replaced the original tubes with a pair from Siemens ($160 on eBay) and I do not think I can hear a difference as both sets of tubes sound great.

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #4,462 of 5,150
Why does Liquid Platinum sound so good? Is it the amp design? Pricing tier? Hybrid (tube effect)?

I have experience with handful of solid state amps. From dongles to entry level to mid tier. The most expensive amp I have tried is Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. So I don’t have much experience with more expensive amps.

Amp I have tried before do make small improvement, but never changed my preferred order of headphones.

On the other hand, LP makes a significant improvement. For instance, I use HD560S for gaming. It was ok for music, but not as good as my other headphone. I was blown away with HD560S on LP. I would say HD560S on LP sounds very competitive versus HD660S on cheap solid state amps.
I think LP is quite exciting instead of laidback amp, treble has some tube smoothness and bass is more slammy than solid-state, vocals mid-range has this extra energy/clarity boost which ramps up engagement factor.

Like HD6XX is often considered mellow experience and with LP headphones grabs attention way more.

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #4,463 of 5,150

I believe it boils down to the fact it’s a product designed by an experienced enthusiast, not a corporate design team overseen by bean counters. I read somewhere that Alex still has final say on any parts substitutions in his designs sold by monoprice. You’ll find the same brilliance in Nelson Pass amps, Alex Jones speakers, Mike Moffat dacs, etc. It’s a rare occurrence nowadays, that’s for sure. Just enjoy, I know I do!

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #4,464 of 5,150
After hearing this amp at a friends house, I have been drooling for one a while now. I do have the LS and think it’s a great little amp.

Finally another sale and couldn’t pass up for $289. Now If I can save enough for the Audeze LCD2C.

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #4,465 of 5,150
Just wanted to add my data point to the whole LP dying issue:
I received mine from the sale and it died after ~5 hours of playback as well. The unit was connected to my Topping DX3 Pro+ through the RCA inputs, and the output was SE to the Monoprice M1570C headphones. The entire setup (PC, DAC, and amp) was plugged into a Cyberpower pure sine wave UPS system.
After it failed, the amp still powered on correctly where the LED stayed orange for ~30 seconds before turning white, and both tubes glowed normally. There was no hissing or distorted sound from the output, just complete silence no matter what the volume knob and input button were set at.
My experience exactly. But the second time there was a crack or a snap. In both cases it was SE in (to take advantage of the Schiit Loki) and balanced out.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #4,466 of 5,150
I am buying this amp as I need more power for my Fostex T60’s. I feel like the LS is pushed too much for these phones and adds distortion when pushed.

I have a few dumb questions as I’m not familiar with xlr balanced inputs and outputs. I’m going from a turntable rca outs to a preamp rca in/out to this LP amp rca in. Does this defeat the balanced output of the LP ? Do you need to be using balanced in/out of the LP to be truly balanced to balanced headphones ?

Also, Fostex sells a balanced cable for the T60’s. But it’s only 4ft and very expensive at $113. Does anyone know where I can buy a 4 pin xlr to trss cable that’s longer and works with these phones ?

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #4,467 of 5,150
My experience exactly. But the second time there was a crack or a snap. In both cases it was SE in (to take advantage of the Schiit Loki) and balanced out.
7h595m.jpg

Seriously tho, I hope the Loki isn't amping the Line signal too much.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #4,468 of 5,150
That is weird to have two early infant mortality amp failures like that. You're using adaptable cables with different cable adapters. I wonder if the 4-pin XLR balanced adapter cable has developed a short? And that could be the reason the amps are failing after a few hours?

Some balanced headphone amps can handle a short or handle having a cable failure. Others will die a very quick instantaneous death and release the magic smoke. And others will die a slower death over hours or days or weeks. The Liquid Platinum is a design that will die a slow death if you plug a single-ended cable into the balanced output, or if you plug in a balanced cable with a short.
I am just using SE in and balanced out.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #4,469 of 5,150
7h595m.jpg

Seriously tho, I hope the Loki isn't amping the Line signal too much.
I didn't even have it on the first time. And the second time the Loki was feeding both amps via a split cable.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #4,470 of 5,150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back