Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 9, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #4,036 of 5,150
Only a one-year warranty on an $800 DAC? When its matching amp that also costs $800 but comes with a five-year warranty?
Other considerations: Does renown in amplifier design (which Cavalli obviously has) ==> outstanding DAC design? Switching-mode vs linear power supply for a DAC?

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #4,037 of 5,150
Other considerations: Does renown in amplifier design (which Cavalli obviously has) ==> outstanding DAC design? Switching-mode vs linear power supply for a DAC?
It takes 12v/1A so we can easily use LPS with this DAC unlike the LP amp. But I am in no need of any DAC now. Could have got it when LP was launched but not now.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #4,038 of 5,150
It takes 12v/1A so we can easily use LPS with this DAC unlike the LP amp. But I am in no need of any DAC now. Could have got it when LP was launched but not now.
When I owned the Liquid Platinum, besides the capacitor modifications, I used this (it was tremendous):
9353A810-26AB-4C2D-B471-57924D8B5BBF.jpeg

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #4,039 of 5,150
When I owned the Liquid Platinum, besides the capacitor modifications, I used this (it was tremendous):
Don't they go to these extends of not using a different PS (at least on the LP) because Cavalli is doing something weird with the timing of heating up the lamps that depends on the supply or something? Have you read anything about that?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #4,040 of 5,150
Don't they go to these extends of not using a different PS (at least on the LP) because Cavalli is doing something weird with the timing of heating up the lamps that depends on the supply or something? Have you ready anything about that?
• Cavalli amps have protective circuitry that triggers especially if the SE headphone socket is used.
• With the external LPS-36, my routine was: ON LPS-36, ON L.P.; OFF L.P., OFF LPS-36. In the two years that I owned the Cavalli / Monoprice LP, I never had a problem via the external power supply: all benefits! [The LP & LPS-36 were sold as I went “full tube” h/p/a.]

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #4,041 of 5,150
I normally don't do this but I wanted to drop in to mention I'm selling my barely used LP.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #4,042 of 5,150
I just got this. I plan to keep it on 24/7. I was wondering if therefore perhaps it may not be the best amp for me? For the same reason, I was also wondering if I should not use the LPS-36? I have already pulled the cord without powering it down. I do not know if it is damaged yet or not. Is it likely that it is already? How fragile is this thing? It sounds lovely.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #4,043 of 5,150
I just got this. I plan to keep it on 24/7. I was wondering if therefore perhaps it may not be the best amp for me? For the same reason, I was also wondering if I should not use the LPS-36? I have already pulled the cord without powering it down. I do not know if it is damaged yet or not. Is it likely that it is already? How fragile is this thing? It sounds lovely.
From what I've read:
  • You would have known if it's damaged. If it works, it's not damaged. If it's damaged because of the power supply, it goes into constant protection mode, the tubes may be on regardless of the position of the power button etc. If the basic functions are normal, it's fine.
  • I wouldn't keep it on 24/7 as I wouldn't keep on any tube amp 24/7. I'd go solid state for that.
  • Most reports I have read with damages because of power supply issues (or power interruptions for that matter) are because power was interrupted because of an outage etc. You could put it on a UPS, but as I mentioned before: I wouldn't have a tube amp on 24/7.
  • I agree it sounds lovely :)

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #4,044 of 5,150
yeah, I guess it is not for me. Which is sad because I adore the sound. I am bed ridden, it is by my side. I honestly have headphones on 20-24 hours a day. That is probably too much wear and tear on a tube amp. I think I am going to keep the IDSD Pro all in one. It also has tubes but I can run it SS. Unless I can think of something else since then the IDSD also becomes a waste of $$$ due to not using the tubes. The K872 do not need an amplifier but they need one to sound good.

Mar 11, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #4,045 of 5,150
yeah, I guess it is not for me. Which is sad because I adore the sound. I am bed ridden, it is by my side. I honestly have headphones on 20-24 hours a day. That is probably too much wear and tear on a tube amp. I think I am going to keep the IDSD Pro all in one. It also has tubes but I can run it SS. Unless I can think of something else since then the IDSD also becomes a waste of $$$ due to not using the tubes. The K872 do not need an amplifier but they need one to sound good.
Maybe a Schiit Jot? If you are actually using it 24/7, maybe some extra sets of tubes I guess, and put it on a UPS. I didn’t realize you are actually using it that much.

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #4,046 of 5,150
I figured extra tubes was my easy answer. I am just concerned if the power goes out. The power sucks in the inner city of Chicago. Transformers explode every week. Pus Amazon just lowered the price $150 but I want to keep it, bummer. It sounds as good as my RS DarkStar did. I had other tube amps but it sounds like that one to me. Perhaps keeping the LPS on will keep the safety feature from breaking. I just hope so. I ordered the LPS yesterday.

Mar 12, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #4,047 of 5,150
I figured extra tubes was my easy answer. I am just concerned if the power goes out. The power sucks in the inner city of Chicago. Transformers explode every week. Pus Amazon just lowered the price $150 but I want to keep it, bummer. It sounds as good as my RS DarkStar did. I had other tube amps but it sounds like that one to me. Perhaps keeping the LPS on will keep the safety feature from breaking. I just hope so. I ordered the LPS yesterday.
You can put it on a UPS, it’ll hold the power for a while to give you enough time for a proper shutdown on very long outages. For short outages, you can just leave it on.

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #4,048 of 5,150
"The Cavalli/Monolith Liquid Platinum is a balanced version of the very highly regarded Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson amplifier. "

Is this actually true? the hulking liquid Crimson, at $2,850 does seem like it was much "more" amplifier. It must be lacking something somewhere compared to the Crimson? If not, no wonder this is such a steal.

If that is true I do not even mind that it is rather fragile. I will deal with it. BTW, it is $639 at Amazon right now! Unfortunately they will not reimburse me. However, if this is indeed the Liquid Crimson I suggest everyone and their dog go get one for that price!

Mar 13, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #4,049 of 5,150
I actually think that you're probably just fine. I mean - if you're actually using it for that time, enjoy it.

I would guess that most people are reacting to the 24/7 as the "I keep in on 24/7 to keep it warm and sounding best, but only use it for 2-3 hours a day". In that case, you're putting wear and tear on the tubes without getting any enjoyment from them.

If it were me, and i liked the sound - which I do - I'd just use them all day and enjoy and just plan on getting new tubes a little sooner. They don't have to be that expensive.

I would think about getting the tube spacers which lift the tubes up a bit for easier removal.

One other thing to think about - if you are in a place that gets warm, tubes - any tubes - will run warm and warm up the room. So if that were a concern, then I might go solid state.

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #4,050 of 5,150
It is actually perfect for me, Alex Cavelli warned against using an LPS. Since at some point everyone forgets the power sequence. Me, I will never be turning it off. The Electro-Harmonex tubes are the long lasting at 10K hours. They are very good new tubes. A matched pair is about $40. NOS 6922 can command $1,000 a piece now.

It is in fact correct that the Liquid Platinum is a physically smaller and balanced Liquid Crimson. Otherwise, it is the exact same headphone amplifier and sounds exactly the same. Although, the Platinum is somewhat quieter due to being balanced.

Either way, the Liquid Platinum sounds absolutely fantastic to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back