Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 17, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #3,437 of 5,150
I’m interested in getting this amp, but have a couple of questions. Do you definitely need a source with a balanced output to connect it to the balanced input. For example, I have a CD player with only unbalanced outputs. I know I could use it single ended, but am more interested in the balanced.

You can use SE or balanced input. The amp will output either to balanced. But You do need balanced output to get the max out of the amp. SE output is not terrible, but balanced is better.

In my case I only used balanced out since my other amp is only SE out. They are a great 1-2 punch! :L3000:

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #3,438 of 5,150
You can use SE or balanced input. The amp will output either to balanced. But You do need balanced output to get the max out of the amp. SE output is not terrible, but balanced is better.

In my case I only used balanced out since my other amp is only SE out. They are a great 1-2 punch! :L3000:
Thank you. I would have to use the SE input until I get balanced headphones

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #3,439 of 5,150
Thank you. I would have to use the SE input until I get balanced headphones

Just to clarify, the input is what you plug into your amp, be it a DAC or another source.

The output on the front of the amp should be balanced out. In most cases you can get a balanced cable from Amazon for a lot of different headphones, without breaking the bank.

Alternately, $399.00 is an Awesome price for this amp and you can add better 'phones later.

I love my Sundara's out of this amp with my relatively cheap balanced cable I bought on Amazon. :thumbsup:

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #3,440 of 5,150
So, are you saying I would just need RCA to XLR adapters?
I've not done a search, but I'm pretty sure that I've read here or in other threads that using adapters to run RCA into XLR inputs is not recommended. Others can correct me if I am wrong. In any case, as I (very non-technical person) understand it, it really is not necessary with the LP because it has a phase splitter that essentially allows it to operate as a balanced amp whether it is being fed through the balanced or single ended inputs. So even with a non-balanced source running into the LP's RCA inputs, you get the benefit of balanced operation and the additional power when using the XLR output.

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #3,443 of 5,150
This might be a stupid question but how much better is the Liquid Platinum vs the Liquid Spark?

I'm looking to buy an amp for the 650's and am wondering if the LP would be the worth the extra money?
Yes. I have been using the LP (with an external linear power supply) to drive HD-600s to utmost musical satisfaction. Firm, taut bass, sculpted midrange, ethereal treble. Vocals and acoustic instruments are lifelike with considerable ambience. Very wide dynamic range, too. Versus the Spark, the LP can also be a springboard to tube “rolling”...a tale for another time.

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #3,444 of 5,150
This might be a stupid question but how much better is the Liquid Platinum vs the Liquid Spark?

I'm looking to buy an amp for the 650's and am wondering if the LP would be the worth the extra money?

The LP is a great amp via a balanced cable. Tons of power and the sound is great. It really fills out the sound.
If they are still on sale for $399.00, that is a killer deal.

Personally I do love my LS, but it has much less power. I bought an open box for $80.00 which was a Great deal. I use it now in my office set-up, as I just can't sell it.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #3,445 of 5,150
The LP fronted by the Black Ice Dac with any headphone is a pure joy. The old adage is garbage in garbage out. On the flip side goodness in goodness out is what you get with the LP fed by a Black Ice Dac. Props to the Icons of the hobby, the greats such as Alex Cavalli and Jim Fosgate. Huge respect and a big Thank You for bringing to us affordable products that are surely the best bang for the buck.
Thank you! Jim and Alex.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #3,446 of 5,150
The LP is a great amp via a balanced cable. Tons of power and the sound is great. It really fills out the sound.
If they are still on sale for $399.00, that is a killer deal.

Personally I do love my LS, but it has much less power. I bought an open box for $80.00 which was a Great deal. I use it now in my office set-up, as I just can't sell it.
It is still on sale. Only took a week to get here. Out of the box sounds great. I am using the balanced cable from my Kann Cube and I have the Hart xlr cable with my Ananda's.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #3,447 of 5,150
I just got my LP last week, and i love it with my HD800s, but..

When I was listening today, suddenly, there was a little "pop" and no more sound. It maybe smelled a little burned, maybe just hot..

It turns on, and the tubes gets power. If I turn the volume up to max, I can hear the music like a whisper.

I use Astell kern SR 15 as source and Sennheiser HD800s Headphones, they both work as they should.

My quess would be the opamps dosnt work anymore, or is it something els?

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #3,448 of 5,150
I just got my LP last week, and i love it with my HD800s, but..

When I was listening today, suddenly, there was a little "pop" and no more sound. It maybe smelled a little burned, maybe just hot..

It turns on, and the tubes gets power. If I turn the volume up to max, I can hear the music like a whisper.

I use Astell kern SR 15 as source and Sennheiser HD800s Headphones, they both work as they should.

My quess would be the opamps dosnt work anymore, or is it something els?

That sucks! Just curious, how were you connecting your DAP to the amp? What cable was used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back