Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #3,422 of 5,150
you can actually input single ended into the amp, and still get balanced output. not sure it makes a huge difference, what does make a huge difference is balanced output, you don't want to use the SE output (headphone out) on this amp.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #3,423 of 5,150
There is a single ended input on the amp.
OK,
you can actually input single ended into the amp, and still get balanced output. not sure it makes a huge difference
OK, so I’m now assuming that my headphones would need to have the balanced connection at the headphone output. But would I really get a balanced output/sound. My assumption was that to get a true balanced output you would have to have a source with balanced outputs.

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #3,424 of 5,150
OK,

OK, so I’m now assuming that my headphones would need to have the balanced connection at the headphone output. But would I really get a balanced output/sound. My assumption was that to get a true balanced output you would have to have a source with balanced outputs.

The unbalanced source won't make a huge difference with this amp, but you definately need to use the balanced output for the best experience. It's not close, so yes, you need balanced headphone cables, furthermore, yes it won't be "True Balanced" without balanced input, but it makes little difference with this amp design. There's a big difference in power output and other spec's with the XLR output though, the single ended is only a convenience add and should not be used. Hilariously this is the way they tested the amp at ASR, what a joke.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #3,426 of 5,150
The unbalanced source won't make a huge difference with this amp, but you definately need to use the balanced output for the best experience. It's not close, so yes, you need balanced headphone cables, furthermore, yes it won't be "True Balanced" without balanced input, but it makes little difference with this amp design.
So, I guess using a 1/4 inch to XLR adapter would not give you the true balanced sound. You definitely need the balanced headphone cables.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #3,428 of 5,150
So, I guess using a 1/4 inch to XLR adapter would not give you the true balanced sound. You definitely need the balanced headphone cables.

you need to use the XLR headphone output on the amp, full stop. input does not matter as much. To get "True" balanced you would need to be balanced end to end, as in Source, Amp, and Headphones. I would not sweat it too much if you skip on the balanced source, but the other two are important. This can vary, depending on your equipment. Some gear's XLR output may not function if it does not recieve a balanced signal, fortunately that is not the case here.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #3,429 of 5,150
You must be the guy whose question I just answered on the Liquid Platinum page at the Monoprice site. :relaxed: :relaxed::relaxed:

Yes the balanced output would deliver better performance.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #3,430 of 5,150
The unbalanced source won't make a huge difference with this amp, but you definately need to use the balanced output for the best experience. It's not close, so yes, you need balanced headphone cables, furthermore, yes it won't be "True Balanced" without balanced input, but it makes little difference with this amp design. There's a big difference in power output and other spec's with the XLR output though, the single ended is only a convenience add and should not be used. Hilariously this is the way they tested the amp at ASR, what a joke.
Thanks, but unfortunately I don’t have headphones that would use balanced cables at the moment. I see that it’s only $399 right now at Monoprice.com Guess I could use it single ended until I get new headphones.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #3,431 of 5,150
Thanks, but unfortunately I don’t have headphones that would use balanced cables at the moment. I see that it’s only $399 right now at Monoprice.com Guess I could use it single ended until I get new headphones.

What headphones do you have? if they have removable cables you can usually buy balanced cables on ebay for cheap. You could use the single ended as a crutch, but the risk is you don't ever get a balanced phone, and that would be a waste.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #3,432 of 5,150
What headphones do you have? if they have removable cables you can usually buy balanced cables on ebay for cheap. You could use the single ended as a crutch, but the risk is you don't ever get a balanced phone, and that would be a waste.
Yeah, I believe I can get a balanced cable for the V-Moda Crossfade M100 Master. I’ll check it out.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #3,433 of 5,150
My V-Moda headphones have two detachable outputs. I don’t see any balanced cables for sale at their website. Could anyone make a recommendation for cables? Not sure if it’s even possible with these headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #3,434 of 5,150
100 hours on the cap mod burn in, and im quite impressed. Things keep getting better and better. Caps really opened up around 80 hours, I love the new detail im hearing in strings, the high's and low's at the extreme's have really come into their own in the last 20 hours. I forget how aweful new caps sound lol.

lets see if I can sum up the differences:

More forward, vocal's are pulled closer to you, but I would not describe it as 2D, it's got way more depth then a Jotunheim for example.

Much clearer and cleaner high's, more detail retrieval

Punchy, tight bass, some mid-bass bloat removed

far more speed and attack

more solid state sounding, but still a tube for sure..

when investigating old post on various forums, these changes are bang on with what one would expect when replacing pansonic and lower tier nichicon with Silmic II and Muse, the improvements heard are uncanny and there are many post and impressions from the past 20 years that describe what im hearing. Curious what these 470 UF caps would sound like bypassed with a 4.7 UF Wima, but I will stop here.

Some people may prefer one over the other, but for me, I 100% like the newer caps. Im not going to wax poetic and romanticisize inferior caps with higher distortion(stock) But one could subjectively prefer one over the other, DAC's, and tubes play a part. Those pansonic 470's are known for "mid bass boost and top end sizzle" and that is exactly what is removed, and replaced with something cleaner and more accurate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back