Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jul 24, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #3,046 of 5,150
Thanks to @Guidostrunk and @Slim1970 for providing their amps for the "investigatory" process of upgrading the Caps and then for providing feedback and positive words. I admit I was a bit skeptical that it would make a big difference and I am glad that their experience has echoed mine with the LP. Prior to trying this upgrade, as Guidostrunk stated, I had upgraded a few GLMK2s with very positive results. The LP was a bit different and required a bit more time to complete, but the change from the stock state to the "modified" state was shocking.

My first experience with the LP was with Guidostrunks with upgrade 7730 tubes...and it sounded nice but also distorted like crazy at moderately low volume levels. With the stock tubes provided with Slim1970's LP I was not overly impressed, especially not with the Ether C Flow's.

After replacing the caps the distortion went away at moderate/moderate volumes and the amp really took on a new sonorous and enveloping nature...overall just really engaging. Needless to say I was surprised by the change.

It is interactions/transactions like this (with Tim and Sam) that really make me enjoy coming to this forum.

Now to get myself an LP...making my GSX mini jealous for sure!

before.jpg
Before

after.jpg
After

Nice! I've been contemplating getting one of these amps. What exact capacitor did you use as the replacement?

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #3,047 of 5,150
Nice! I've been contemplating getting one of these amps. What exact capacitor did you use as the replacement?

I replaced all capacitors but one for Elna Silmic II brand capacitors of the following specs:
3- 470uf by 63v
2- 10uf by 25v
1- 100uf by 25v

The last capacitor does not have an Elna analog, so I left it in place. It is a nichigon branded cap, so certainly no slouch in the audio dept.

Have fun with the mod, its really a great upgrade and really makes the LP sing!

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #3,048 of 5,150
I replaced all capacitors but one for Elna Silmic II brand capacitors of the following specs:
3- 470uf by 63v
2- 10uf by 25v
1- 100uf by 25v

The last capacitor does not have an Elna analog, so I left it in place. It is a nichigon branded cap, so certainly no slouch in the audio dept.

Have fun with the mod, its really a great upgrade and really makes the LP sing!
Not that the LP is any bad to start with, I rate it higher to amps costing 3-5 K retail.

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #3,049 of 5,150
Not that the LP is any bad to start with, I rate it higher to amps costing 3-5 K retail.
Sound quality wise, I can agree with this statement.

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #3,051 of 5,150
This caps mod by Keith makes a good Liquid Platinum amp an outstanding amp... one that just draws me into all my FLAC/AIFF files stored on an external SSD connected to a 2018 Apple Mac mini 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 with the Audirvana music app. It's hard to take my Aryas off my head... it is compelling music!!

Just think... I purchased this Cavalli Liquid Platinum Tube Hybrid Headphone Amp new for $700... paid $30 for shipping it to Keith in MA... and then he did the mod for $150 including shipping back... so I now have $880 invested in my headphone amp plus whatever tubes I roll with... and I have music that makes me listen into the midnight hours... it's that good! And, the excellent Topping D90 DAC I purchased new... another $700. So, for just about $1580 I have a combination that will drive just about any headphones made. This combo makes the Hifiman Aryas really sing!! Best headphone system I've ever had or heard! Total enjoyment!!

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #3,057 of 5,150
Awesome bro! Did you currently have one or is this your first LP?
first one!
I had always been on the fence because of the "high gain" issue and I also wanted to move away from amps that need to be used on balanced output to really take advantage of it but here I am. Lol
Debating whether to contact @ksorota and have the amp sent to him directly or Diy to save some coins...:thinking:
anybody has any tips for Diy'ers on swapping the caps?

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #3,058 of 5,150
first one!
I had always been on the fence because of the "high gain" issue and I also wanted to move away from amps that need to be used on balanced output to really take advantage of it but here I am. Lol
Debating whether to contact @ksorota and have the amp sent to him directly or Diy to save some coins...:thinking:
anybody has any tips for Diy'ers on swapping the caps?
Pm me for info!

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #3,059 of 5,150
For what Keith aka @ksorota is charging for the caps mod... $150 including shipped back... anybody would be really missing out! Keith takes a good amp and makes it a really good... or, in my opinion, a great amp! When you get it back, then you need to get a good set of tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back