Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jul 8, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #2,941 of 5,150
So it's been a few days with the new caps, and 2 things keep coming to mind.

1. The background is pitch black, which let's everything explode out of nowhere, and really gives you a deep view into the music.

2. I don't have to skip or turn down the volume on songs that would get a little hot and cause fatigue due to distortion. Now, almost all of the songs in my music library sound amazing, and I can just sit back and let the music flow.

I just wanted to share that tid bit, and it's back to musical bliss/burn in. :o2smile:
I can hear Jaacqueline du Pre talking to her cello. Priceless.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,942 of 5,150
I can hear Jaacqueline du Pre talking to her cello. Priceless.
Awesome man! That is what good gear is all about. I love hearing all the little nuances and detail, with zero harshness.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,943 of 5,150
Awesome man! That is what good gear is all about. I love hearing all the little nuances and detail, with zero harshness.
Well, there was a hint of harshness from my wife when I said I wanted to spend $150 on my 4th new HP amp. Just a bit.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2,946 of 5,150
A little dust on the PCB. This is the Elna cap upgrade I did.
A BIG thank you to @ksoroto for coming up with this mod and choosing these Elna caps!!!!

IMG_1017.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #2,947 of 5,150
A little dust on the PCB. This is the Elna cap upgrade I did.
A BIG thank you to @ksoroto for coming up with this mod and choosing these Elna caps!!!!

IMG_1017.jpeg
I am glad to say that i can’t take all the credit. If not for @Guidostrunk this upgrade would not currently exists. I did his GLMK2 upgrade and he had the good sense to apply it to the LP.

Only problem now is that i constantly wonder how other amps could benefit from a similar upgrade. (MCTH for example).

Positive note, i now have my own LP coming my way!
I was always hesitant to pick up this amp (wasn’t sure i wanted to go down the tube road) but i am extremely glad to be joining the owners club!!!

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #2,948 of 5,150
I am glad to say that i can’t take all the credit. If not for @Guidostrunk this upgrade would not currently exists. I did his GLMK2 upgrade and he had the good sense to apply it to the LP.

Only problem now is that i constantly wonder how other amps could benefit from a similar upgrade. (MCTH for example).

I was always hesitant to pick up this amp (wasn’t sure i wanted to go down the tube road) but i am extremely glad to be joining the owners club!!!
The mod is sounding better than ever @ksorota. Glad to see that you will be enjoying your own work. You've earned it!

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #2,949 of 5,150

Just so folks know, you are NOT getting wealthy doing this mod. :sunglasses: $150 is a real bargain!

I have desoldered caps with fewer layers or a thinner ground plane on PCB's and they sometimes 'drop' out. These are not that easy. It is, however, a quality PCB so no concern for lifted pads or ripped traces.

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #2,950 of 5,150

That's awesome man! I am glad you are joining the club. It is only fitting, that the guy who made this amp sing, should own one.:wink:

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #2,952 of 5,150

I just happen to have a MCTH sitting...right...here. (And a Jot, and a Maxed Out Headroom...)

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #2,953 of 5,150
I just happen to have a MCTH sitting...right...here. (And a Jot, and a Maxed Out Headroom...)
I got a CTH, too. oh, and an LCX (and of course an LP)... hmmmm..... :thinking:

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #2,954 of 5,150
I always look at it like we're all in it together.
I've met some of the best people on here. Amazing when you can tune out the outside world and tune in to reality.
:beerchug:
Happy listening folks!
Well said, and my thoughts exactly!

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #2,955 of 5,150
I would love to do the mod to my Jot! I imagine if the Monoprice Liquid Gold ever comes out (I will be buying one for sure), that the cap mod could be killer on that as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back