Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jun 29, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #2,911 of 5,150
Noobzilla, this is an inexpensive mod and the Elna are very good caps. Keith is right, look at what some exotic caps cost and you could spend a few hundred dollars just for those 6 alone.
I can't imagine getting a better tone out of the LP than what Elna Silmic II caps add to the mix.

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #2,912 of 5,150
My first experience with the LP was with Guidostrunks with upgrade 7730 tubes...and it sounded nice but also distorted like crazy at moderately low volume levels. With the stock tubes provided with Slim1970's LP I was not overly impressed, especially not with the Ether C Flow's.

After replacing the caps the distortion went away at moderate/moderate volumes and the amp really took on a new sonorous and enveloping nature...overall just really engaging. Needless to say I was surprised by the change.

Can you elaborate on the distortion? The lower the volume, the more distortion? Now I'm worried because I have easy-to-drive phones and I'm generally a low-ish volume listener.

Jun 29, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #2,913 of 5,150
I have very sensitive phones as well. The distortion would happen with my cans when I started to go past the 10 o'clock mark and by 11 the sound was a mess. I usually listen around the 65 to 75 db area.
Now I can get to 11 no problem and the sound just expands and remains absolutely clean and clear.

If I were to guess what caused the distortion. It would be the caps lol. Meaning that I don't think they could keep up with the demands of the design.
Don't hold me to that though. Just speculation.
Can you elaborate on the distortion? The lower the volume, the more distortion? Now I'm worried because I have easy-to-drive phones and I'm generally a low-ish volume listener.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #2,914 of 5,150
This sounds like something my mother would say when I was young "If Wes S jumped off a bridge would you?" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Since (I think) I have similar taste to @Wes S - yeah, if Wes S jumped off a bridge I may jump too! :wink:

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,915 of 5,150
Jun 30, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,916 of 5,150
Hi Noobzilla,

I’m going to stick my nose into the distortion issue and then relate why I am going with a capacitor swap.

The Liquid Platinum (LP) was evaluated to operate with an impedance between 33 and 300 ohms by the people responsible for the documentation. The manufacturer did not sell the LP to be used outside of that specification. My Ether 2 headphones have an impedance of 16 ohms, and one needs more transducer friendly energy available when their headphones have very low impedance. (Or you risk “Bad Things.”©️) That said, there are a sizable number of people out there running 16-ohm cans off THEIR LP amps and love the result. I was not one of them.

Now, I walked away from engineering when I found out it was spelled with ”ee”s but from what I understand:
- Results become unpredictable when you are playing outside design tolerances. Your individual unit might work, someone else may experience issues.
- Big transformers help drive low impedance transducers. However, everyone who has an LP likely has a transformer with similar specs, and dropping a thicc toroidal transformer onto the LP chassis might be (is) more work and expense than the LP is worth.

So, why change capacitors?

Capacitors are a critical part of the power stage and audio often benefits from better capacitor sourcing. One can find that capacitors from different manufacturers (or different capacitors from a maker with poor quality control) will handle performance at/outside the margins differently. So, Bob is listening outside of the design spec (at 16 ohms in this case) on his LP with brand X capacitors with good results. Betty‘s LP has brand Y capacitors (because $500) and they are less tolerant at the edges. Betty’s distorts when power demand rises, and most of the time that is all that happens if she is lucky. The difference between Bob and Betty's experience might be the capacitors. Or not.

Betty might have checked her impedance on her favorite headphones but also read that it worked for Bob and gambled it should work for her. It could have paid off. In my case, and Betty’s, it didn’t so we can either return/resell the LP, use higher impedance headphones with the LP, or mod the LP to try making it work with a 16-ohm load. I like how the LP sounds on my other cans ... a lot ... so I went with plan c to see if the Ether 2 would also benefit. Again, or not.

[edit: Important note - modding the amp is still living outside the LP design criteria. Get an amp that was designed to drive your headphone impedance if you want a sure thing. “There is no replacement for displacement” when it comes to transformers and low impedance transducers.]

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #2,917 of 5,150
Does this mod void your 5 year warranty? Mod does sound incredible though the people that got the mod done.
Almost certainly, this will void your warranty.

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #2,918 of 5,150
Caps are in and my baby is already on her way back to me, and I should have her by Monday. :o2smile: I am so freaking pumped, I can barely contain myself! I have to say, @ksorota is a great person to work with. I will most definitely be reporting back on how she sounds, once I have had some quality listening time.

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #2,919 of 5,150
Caps are in and my baby is already on her way back to me, and I should have her by Monday. :o2smile: I am so freaking pumped, I can barely contain myself! I have to say, @ksorota is a great person to work with. I will most definitely be reporting back on how she sounds, once I have had some quality listening time.
Looking forward to reading of your impressions.

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #2,920 of 5,150

I should have two more completed tonight and back on their way home tomorrow :xf_cool:

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #2,921 of 5,150
I should have two more completed tonight and back on their way home tomorrow :xf_cool:
Nice! This is gonna be fun getting to experience the upgrade with more members! I feel like I am going to hear the LP for the first time again, and man what an experience that was. :o2smile:

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #2,922 of 5,150
I upgraded my LP caps to the Elna's last night but had very ittle time to listen. Initial impressions are good but IMO not night and day.........again very little time at this point so perhaps it WILL be jaw dropping upon further review! :upside_down:

EDIT:
It is INDEED a very nice step up, particularly in clarity and detail!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #2,923 of 5,150
I upgraded my LP caps to the Elna's last night but had very ittle time to listen. Initial impressions are good but IMO not night and day.........again very little time at this point so perhaps it WILL be jaw dropping upon further review! :upside_down:

EDIT:
It is INDEED a very nice step up, particularly in clarity and detail!
Those are both areas one would want to improve in amps at the LP price point. Thanks!

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #2,924 of 5,150
My LP is back in the house! I just fired it up, and the music is flowing. :o2smile: I am gonna let the caps burn in a bit (100 hours) before I get to the critical listening, but immediately I can tell a veil has been lifted, and everything sounds even more lifelike than before. I will report back, after I hit the 100 hour mark.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #2,925 of 5,150
^^
Probably gonna send mine in after hearing your impressions. Really excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back