Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jun 27, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #2,882 of 5,149
Anybody tried a linear psu with the liquid platinum, I keep reading on some places that states its sort of dangerous to use with the LP can someone confirm
Not sure a linear PSU is needEd with this amp. Changing tubes nets you bigger sonic gains. Having the cap mod done totally transforms the LP.

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #2,883 of 5,149
Not sure a linear PSU is needEd with this amp. Changing tubes nets you bigger sonic gains. Having the cap mod done totally transforms the LP.
Cap mod? Any more info on this?

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #2,885 of 5,149
They were talking about it here yesterday; you can find the info on the previous page. Sounds intriguing.
Thanks!

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2,886 of 5,149
Dang! I just read about that cap mod, and it sounds like a killer upgrade. I would love to have this mod done to my LP. @ksorota , I sent you a pm. Thanks!

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,887 of 5,149
Dang! I just read about that cap mod, and it sounds like a killer upgrade. I would love to have this mod done to my LP. @ksorota , I sent you a pm. Thanks!
@Wes S the sound is unbelievable. The LP is a totally different sounding and performing amp now. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a small upgrade can bring about such improved sound without a redesign. But as I'm sitting here listening to the LP with my Susvara's, there is no denying the sonic benefits that upgrading the caps has brought to the table.

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #2,888 of 5,149
It's been asked but not answered: what's the total cost of the cap mod? (Frankly, just curiosity. The chances I would do this to my LP are pretty much zero regardless of cost.)

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2,891 of 5,149
Someone who got the mod done told me it was $150 total, parts labor and return shipping included.
Thanks!

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #2,892 of 5,149
@Wes S the sound is unbelievable. The LP is a totally different sounding and performing amp now. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a small upgrade can bring about such improved sound without a redesign. But as I'm sitting here listening to the LP with my Susvara's, there is no denying the sonic benefits that upgrading the caps has brought to the table.
That's awesome! I am getting it done, and have already got in touch with the man. I can't wait to hear it, after the cap swap.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2,893 of 5,149
Having worked for years for a well know mod company, YES it will void your Monoprice 5 year warranty. Heck at the cost of a new LP if it dies, spend the $150 and get a better amp TODAY. Life is full of risks but the LP has been pretty reliable and why not get a better performing amp?

$150 shipped seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2,894 of 5,149
That's awesome! I am getting it done, and have already got in touch with the man. I can't wait to hear it, after the cap swap.
Cool - will be waiting for your opinions once done! :wink:

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #2,895 of 5,149
Just wanted to confirm a few things regarding the capacitor swap.

First of all, thank you to all who have reached out already...I have never had so many pm's in my inbox and I really appreciate all the interest.

The mod for sure would void the warranty but in my opinion is a pretty low risk modification. I am replacing 6 total capacitors on the board and the board is pretty well spaced out almost appears to have been designed to use larger caps.

I am asking for $150 to do the upgrade. This includes the cost of materials, the swap and return shipping via USPS (insured). The swap can be done in an evening, but with my career work picking up I am going to say that 2 days should be expected. If I have a lot of interest then it may slow down the turn around time, but that can be discussed on a one on one basis.

I make sure to test each of the capacitors prior to the installation to make sure that they meet the specifications and match each other within a few points.

I am using Elna Silmic II caps, but if someone wanted another brand (nichigon, rubycon, etc.) I could change those out as well.

Lastly, solder work is something that I have become proficient at through my career work and the audio upgrades/repairs that I have been doing lately are fun to me and good extension of the hobby. That being said, I apologize for any delay in response to questions or updates to gear, but will do my best!

All the best,
Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back