Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jun 16, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #2,866 of 5,150
Should I be concerned if one of my tubes glows about 50% dimmer than the other? I swapped the tubes and the same tube stayed dim. Not noticing any difference in sound between the two channels, so I assume it's fine other than my OCD driving me crazy.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #2,867 of 5,150
Should I be concerned if one of my tubes glows about 50% dimmer than the other? I swapped the tubes and the same tube stayed dim. Not noticing any difference in sound between the two channels, so I assume it's fine other than my OCD driving me crazy.
That is normal, as long as the tubes are matched within 10%, I would not worry about it. Sometimes the metal at the top of the triodes is blocking some of the glow, depending on the angle you are viewing the tube.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #2,868 of 5,150
I have/had several pairs that exhibit this behavior. the biggest difference in glow I currently see is a pair of Western Electric 396A pair I have, the 1946/1947 pair shows the biggest difference in glow, both tested well above NOS and very balanced Gm wise. 0 audible difference between the tubes. If your tubes are not exhibiting any audible difference gain wise (1 tube sounding louder than the other) plus no noise and microphonics, I would not worry about the pair at all.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #2,869 of 5,150
A lot of people have mentioned the HD650 as a good match with this amp, but I just plugged in the HD58X Jubilee from drop and they sound even better. They sound brighter and more alive than the HD650, in a very good way. Bass seems tighter as well.

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #2,871 of 5,150
I agree with the HD58X and LP pairing. It is a good marriage. Not including the bottom end, I felt that it did better on the LP than the Ether 2. I also liked the X better than the HD580 Precision: The X is an improvement on the original and more “neutral” than the 650. (In my opinion)

A lot of people have mentioned the HD650 as a good match with this amp, but I just plugged in the HD58X Jubilee from drop and they sound even better. They sound brighter and more alive than the HD650, in a very good way. Bass seems tighter as well.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #2,873 of 5,150
I've been a Liquid Platinum owner for a few months now and they drive my Focal Elegia's and ZMF Verite Opens. I also swapped out the stock tubes for some E88CC's. I'm running the music signals through an RME ADI-2 DAC fs. I've really been enjoying the sound that this grouping puts forward. My only gripe would be the need for a gain switch (which I've seen from others as well) since this thing is so powerful I barely move the volume knob to get to a loud volume. I can modify that somewhat with lowering the signal strength from the DAC. Other than that I absolutely love it and it looks great on the table too.

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #2,874 of 5,150
I've been a Liquid Platinum owner for a few months now and they drive my Focal Elegia's and ZMF Verite Opens. I also swapped out the stock tubes for some E88CC's. I'm running the music signals through an RME ADI-2 DAC fs. I've really been enjoying the sound that this grouping puts forward. My only gripe would be the need for a gain switch (which I've seen from others as well) since this thing is so powerful I barely move the volume knob to get to a loud volume. I can modify that somewhat with lowering the signal strength from the DAC. Other than that I absolutely love it and it looks great on the table too.
Nice! It truly is a killer amp, and all my ZMF's sound amazing on it. Just curious which E88CC's are running?

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #2,875 of 5,150
Hola Folks,

Well, I've had my LP for about 2 months now and absolutely LOVE this amp!
2 weeks ago I didn't love this amp. I thought it was pretty good, but it lacked detail, distorted once you got close or past the 10:30 mark. Imaging was decent but smeared and collapsed with busy music. Soundstage was decent and kinda hinted at a 3D presence. Bass was somewhat muddy with minimal impact. This is all with totl tubes in it.

To rewind a little. I purchased a Gilmore Lite mk2 off the used market about a month ago, and sent it to a fellow headfier on here to have it modded with Elna Silmic ii capacitors. Everyone on that thread was raving about the mod.
Wanted to see if possibly going to solid state would deliver what I was looking for SQ wise. Well it did..... almost. I've always been a tube guy once I got into cans. Tubes just do something that SS can't do. SS fanatics will say " yeah it adds distortion to your music". For me I love that "distortion". The space , the imaging, the added harmonics, the whole sha-bang. Tubes just do it for me Lol.

During the modding process of my GLmk2. A light bulb went on in my head " What if the LP can be modded with the same totl caps?" So.. I asked the headfier that did the GLmk2 if he'd be interested in modding my LP, or if it can even be done. He agreed and off it went to get the cap UPGRADE!

So 6 of the 7 caps in the LP were swapped out for some jumbo Elna Silmic ii caps. The 7th cap didn't need replaced. Got the LP back 12 days ago and wanted to get over the 100 hour mark on the caps before I wrote this review.

First and foremost this is my personal subjective experience with the mod.
Secondly, I can't thank @ksorota enough for modding the LP for me along with my GLmk2.

WOW! Where do I start?.....
From the first song I played to wrapping up my 4 hour session last night. It has been one hell of a jaw dropping rollercoaster ride! To me this amp is at a completely different level of what it once was.

The level of detail and articulation that's produced now is mind boggling. The impact and slam cut right through you.
There's so much more dimensional space and transparency. One of the most airy holographic 3D experiences I've ever heard. Nuances and reverb trails are so easy to hear and distinguish in the imaging now. The imaging has more texture and speed with a bigger 3D presence in the placement around the stage with phenomenal macro and micro dynamics. Much more feel and lifelike glow that breathes, and never gets congested now. Bass weight, extension and slam have increased tremendously with no bloat or mud. Very articulate and accurate presence that I can feel pulsating through my body.
Treble and the midrange have a stunning sense of realism now and blend with precision. You can hear and feel the breath in the vocal now. Before the mod the treble lacked extension and attack which pushed the midrange forward causing a stage collapse. Things just got muddled up especially when I pumped up the volume.
Now the treble attacks with way better extension and clarity never crossing the line of being sibilant or a dry distortion.
The midrange has a more liquid flow with a better transient response. So much more lifelike and haunting sense realism in the music.

Folks, this is not the same amp anymore. Not even close. For me the change is drastic! I was considering parting ways with it prior to the mod. I was bored with it. It had no life to the sound. Lacked PRAT. I just had a hard time grooving with it.

It will be a permanent fixture now! I believe that the LP in this form can easily compete with far more expensive amps.
I took a chance and it paid off immensely! Hopefully others will give it a shot before they decide to sell. You will most likely reconsider lol.

There's one other person that had this mod done. I'm sure he'll chime in at some point with his thoughts on it, and possibly the modder himself.

With all that said. This is a very subjective hobby. These are my impressions and opinions.

Gear used with the LP.

Cans: Focal Clear Pro
Dac: Denafrips Ares

Cheers!
:beerchug:

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,876 of 5,150
Hola Folks,

Well, I've had my LP for about 2 months now and absolutely LOVE this amp!
2 weeks ago I didn't love this amp. I thought it was pretty good, but it lacked detail, distorted once you got close or past the 10:30 mark. Imaging was decent but smeared and collapsed with busy music. Soundstage was decent and kinda hinted at a 3D presence. Bass was somewhat muddy with minimal impact. This is all with totl tubes in it.

To rewind a little. I purchased a Gilmore Lite mk2 off the used market about a month ago, and sent it to a fellow headfier on here to have it modded with Elna Silmic ii capacitors. Everyone on that thread was raving about the mod.
Wanted to see if possibly going to solid state would deliver what I was looking for SQ wise. Well it did..... almost. I've always been a tube guy once I got into cans. Tubes just do something that SS can't do. SS fanatics will say " yeah it adds distortion to your music". For me I love that "distortion". The space , the imaging, the added harmonics, the whole sha-bang. Tubes just do it for me Lol.

During the modding process of my GLmk2. A light bulb went on in my head " What if the LP can be modded with the same totl caps?" So.. I asked the headfier that did the GLmk2 if he'd be interested in modding my LP, or if it can even be done. He agreed and off it went to get the cap UPGRADE!

So 6 of the 7 caps in the LP were swapped out for some jumbo Elna Silmic ii caps. The 7th cap didn't need replaced. Got the LP back 12 days ago and wanted to get over the 100 hour mark on the caps before I wrote this review.

First and foremost this is my personal subjective experience with the mod.
Secondly, I can't thank @ksorota enough for modding the LP for me along with my GLmk2.

WOW! Where do I start?.....
From the first song I played to wrapping up my 4 hour session last night. It has been one hell of a jaw dropping rollercoaster ride! To me this amp is at a completely different level of what it once was.

The level of detail and articulation that's produced now is mind boggling. The impact and slam cut right through you.
There's so much more dimensional space and transparency. One of the most airy holographic 3D experiences I've ever heard. Nuances and reverb trails are so easy to hear and distinguish in the imaging now. The imaging has more texture and speed with a bigger 3D presence in the placement around the stage with phenomenal macro and micro dynamics. Much more feel and lifelike glow that breathes, and never gets congested now. Bass weight, extension and slam have increased tremendously with no bloat or mud. Very articulate and accurate presence that I can feel pulsating through my body.
Treble and the midrange have a stunning sense of realism now and blend with precision. You can hear and feel the breath in the vocal now. Before the mod the treble lacked extension and attack which pushed the midrange forward causing a stage collapse. Things just got muddled up especially when I pumped up the volume.
Now the treble attacks with way better extension and clarity never crossing the line of being sibilant or a dry distortion.
The midrange has a more liquid flow with a better transient response. So much more lifelike and haunting sense realism in the music.

Folks, this is not the same amp anymore. Not even close. For me the change is drastic! I was considering parting ways with it prior to the mod. I was bored with it. It had no life to the sound. Lacked PRAT. I just had a hard time grooving with it.

It will be a permanent fixture now! I believe that the LP in this form can easily compete with far more expensive amps.
I took a chance and it paid off immensely! Hopefully others will give it a shot before they decide to sell. You will most likely reconsider lol.

There's one other person that had this mod done. I'm sure he'll chime in at some point with his thoughts on it, and possibly the modder himself.

With all that said. This is a very subjective hobby. These are my impressions and opinions.

Gear used with the LP.

Cans: Focal Clear Pro
Dac: Denafrips Ares

Cheers!
I guess I can piggy back on this post because I had the same mod done by @ksorota and I'm amazed by the sound transformation of the LP. I ready to sell the LP as soon as I heard it. It sounded congested and boomy. There was nothing musical about it. After the mod, the LP now has a cleaner, clearer presentation and the dynamic swings are infinitely better. The soundstage is more 3D and expansive and the tubes have more effect on the sound signature. The LP now sounds a true hybrid and not just a solid state device.

Like I said previously, the choice of tubes has more influence of the sound of the LP now. With the 5814wa tubes I'm using now, the bass is deeper, more taunt with amazing slam. The midrange is full sounding, lush, with more body. Vocals are sweeter. The treble has more clarity and air. The whole presentation after the upgrade seems to allow the LP to breathe and unleash more of its musical prowess.

I've compared the LP with upgraded tubes to some of the most respected gear in the industry. My Chord TT2, Burson Conductor 3XR, and RME ADI-2 DAC FS, all seem to be missing something now. They are still good, but for music listening I cannot get enough to my modded LP. It's so darn musical, while my other gear sounds more solid state than ever. The LP is as competitive as ever after the mod and I'd put it up against any amp. It's that good....

I have my LP paired with my Hugo 2 and the pairing is fantastic. The two together seems to made for each other as they play off each other strengths. The LP is a must listen in this form as the mod comes highly recommended!!

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #2,879 of 5,150
Thanks to @Guidostrunk and @Slim1970 for providing their amps for the "investigatory" process of upgrading the Caps and then for providing feedback and positive words. I admit I was a bit skeptical that it would make a big difference and I am glad that their experience has echoed mine with the LP. Prior to trying this upgrade, as Guidostrunk stated, I had upgraded a few GLMK2s with very positive results. The LP was a bit different and required a bit more time to complete, but the change from the stock state to the "modified" state was shocking.

My first experience with the LP was with Guidostrunks with upgrade 7730 tubes...and it sounded nice but also distorted like crazy at moderately low volume levels. With the stock tubes provided with Slim1970's LP I was not overly impressed, especially not with the Ether C Flow's.

After replacing the caps the distortion went away at moderate/moderate volumes and the amp really took on a new sonorous and enveloping nature...overall just really engaging. Needless to say I was surprised by the change.

It is interactions/transactions like this (with Tim and Sam) that really make me enjoy coming to this forum.

Now to get myself an LP...making my GSX mini jealous for sure!

Can someone give the picture of the mod LP inside ?
before.jpg

Before

after.jpg

After

How much is the mod? I'm asking for a friend :smile:

PM incoming

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #2,880 of 5,150
This is what I love about this place. I've met some of the best people here. Think about everyday life. Would you walk up to a stranger and hand them your wallet and ask them to give it back untouched in 24 hours? Probably not.
I had no reservations sending my equipment to @ksorota whatsoever.

I've been on this forum almost 11 years and have never had a bad experience dealing with folks in this community. This is the most wholesome getaway from all the schiit on TV today and I pray that it never gets tainted. I will not stick around if so.

We're such a remote enthusiastic family and it should always stay that way!

Enough of my cocktail rant and back to this phenomenal amp that has been given life! Lol.

Honestly and truly Keith. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back