Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
May 21, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #2,776 of 5,150
I have a question i see RCA output from LP , so can LP act as preamp.... i want something that can be used as headphone amp and Preamp connected to power amp for my desktop speakers...

after reading seems not possible...this is not preamp.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #2,777 of 5,150
I have a question i see RCA output from LP , so can LP act as preamp.... i want something that can be used as headphone amp and Preamp connected to power amp for my desktop speakers...

after reading seems not possible...this is not preamp.
I am confused. what is the use for RCA output for? I read on product page someone answered that it is for passthrough. Does it mean the signal inputed is not processed by the tubes? is it a straight out signal from the RCA input to RCA ouput?

May 21, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #2,778 of 5,150
Rca out is a straight passthrough. Don't have to power up the LP to use it. It is quite transparent. I've compared it to a pre amp or 2 and it does an excellent job of passing the signal right to another headphone amp without affecting sound.

May 21, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #2,779 of 5,150
The Liquid Platinum is not a preamp, and does not have that function available. You can use the se output as a passthrough, but you have no volume control or tube flavor.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #2,781 of 5,150
I have the following tubes that work on the Schiit Lyr will all of them work on the Liquid Platinum?

'75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields
Siemens E188CC
Mullard CV4109
Telefunken ECC88

Also are there any recommended DACs in the $300 - $600 price range that are the meta/go to suggestions to pair with this amp? Bifrost 2, Topping D90, SMSL M400 would all be at the high end... Wasn't sure if there was anything a bit cheaper that was fully balance and a great pairing.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #2,782 of 5,150
I have the following tubes that work on the Schiit Lyr will all of them work on the Liquid Platinum?

'75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields
Siemens E188CC
Mullard CV4109
Telefunken ECC88

Also are there any recommended DACs in the $300 - $600 price range that are the meta/go to suggestions to pair with this amp? Bifrost 2, Topping D90, SMSL M400 would all be at the high end... Wasn't sure if there was anything a bit cheaper that was fully balance and a great pairing.
I believe those are all equivalents (actually had to look up the CV4109). I've used the Siemens E188CC in my LP to good effect :)

May 22, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #2,783 of 5,150
Just ordered one on sale $549.99 at Monoprice https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=304&cp_id=30405&cs_id=3040505&p_id=33305&seq=1&format=2 cant wait to try it with my Beyerdynamic T1 V2 :)
I've been planning to get this amp eventually as my probable end game amp (since I'm retired on a fixed income, it would be very hard for me to afford an amp truly an upgrade from this) and that sale price has been enticing me for a week. But I'm a little short of money after ordering a ZMF Aeolus earlier this month so was trying to resist until next month. I was contemplating it again earlier this evening and put it in the cart to check shipping and sales tax. When I went to checkout, I saw a promo code for it, though no details. I figured it wouldn't work with the current sale, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Much to my surprise, applying the code brought the price down to $499.99 (plus $33 NJ sales tax and free shipping). I checked out before they could change their mind. Frankly, buying this amp for 500 bucks feels almost like stealing. If anyone else has been contemplating this, it appears that now's the time.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #2,784 of 5,150
I've been planning to get this amp eventually as my probable end game amp (since I'm retired on a fixed income, it would be very hard for me to afford an amp truly an upgrade from this) and that sale price has been enticing me for a week. But I'm a little short of money after ordering a ZMF Aeolus earlier this month so was trying to resist until next month. I was contemplating it again earlier this evening and put it in the cart to check shipping and sales tax. When I went to checkout, I saw a promo code for it, though no details. I figured it wouldn't work with the current sale, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Much to my surprise, applying the code brought the price down to $499.99 (plus $33 NJ sales tax and free shipping). I checked out out before they could change their mind. Frankly, buying this amp for 500 bucks feels almost like stealing. If anyone else has been contemplating this, it appears that now's the time.
For $500 you are stealing it! :wink: Congrats, on your purchase. This is my end game hybrid, and the Aelous sounds incredible on it. I am left wanting nothing more, and completely blown away everytime I listen with that combo. The DAC makes a difference as well. What DAC do you plan to use?

May 22, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #2,785 of 5,150
For $500 you are stealing it! :wink: Congrats, on your purchase. This is my end game hybrid, and the Aelous sounds incredible on it. I am left wanting nothing more, and completely blown away everytime I listen with that combo. The DAC makes a difference as well. What DAC do you plan to use?
Strangely enough, I'm not sure about the DAC--and that story is one of the reasons I was ready to buy the LP yesterday. I am currently using a SMSL SU-8 connected via XLR to a THX 789 in my music setup (I also have a Schiit Modi Multibit in my Blu-ray/TV setup). About five weeks ago, I bought a Topping D70 on Drop for only $350 (I had a $50 Drop credit I had to use or lose); it was supposed to ship by yesterday. Instead of a shipping notice, I received an extremely vague email from Drop yesterday stating that shipping may be delayed for reasons not specified and they would let me know if the delay would exceed 30 days. Frankly, I'm not a patient person and am already on what could be a very long wait for the Aeolus. Since I am a more than little tired of spending what is, for me, large amounts of money and getting nothing in return, I immediately took advantage of Drop's offer to contact Customer Support and cancel. The automated response stated they won't be able to get back to me for 5-7 business days, so the refund is likely a few weeks away.This is what put me in a buying mood for the LP yesterday.

With the refund, I should have a budget for a new decent DAC in mid-June. My current candidates are the Denafrips Ares II (with a stated 10 day delay before shipping from Singapore), the Schiit Bifrost 2 (also backordered ATM), and the Topping D90 MQA. Although my heart is pulled to the multibit goodness of the Ares and Bifrost, I am currently leaning to the D90 MQA since my music listening is almost exclusively via Tidal. If you have any views about these or other candidates (these are all within a few bucks of $800 including tax and shipping, the very most I can spend), I'd be happy to hear it. Apologies for the ridiculously long reply.

Update: I got an email from Drop this afternoon stating that my order has been cancelled and a refund issued, though as usual it won't hit my account for 2-3 business days. Cannot argue with that response time or result. Thanks, Drop.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #2,786 of 5,150
Strangely enough, I'm not sure about the DAC--and that story is one of the reasons I was ready to buy the LP yesterday. I am currently using a SMSL SU-8 connected via XLR to a THX 789 in my music setup (I also have a Schiit Modi Multibit in my Blu-ray/TV setup). About five weeks ago, I bought a Topping D70 on Drop for only $350 (I had a $50 Drop credit I had to use or lose); it was supposed to ship by yesterday. Instead of a shipping notice, I received an extremely vague email from Drop yesterday stating that shipping may be delayed for reasons not specified and they would let me know if the delay would exceed 30 days. Frankly, I'm not a patient person and am already on what could be a very long wait for the Aeolus. Since I am a more than little tired of spending what is, for me, large amounts of money and getting nothing in return, I immediately took advantage of Drop's offer to contact Customer Support and cancel. The automated response stated they won't be able to get back to me for 5-7 business days, so the refund is likely a few weeks away.This is what put me in a buying mood for the LP yesterday.

With the refund, I should have a budget for a new decent DAC in mid-June. My current candidates are the Denafrips Ares II (with a stated 10 day delay before shipping from Singapore), the Schiit Bifrost 2 (also backordered ATM), and the Topping D90 MQA. Although my heart is pulled to the multibit goodness of the Ares and Bifrost, I am currently leaning to the D90 MQA since my music listening is almost exclusively via Tidal. If you have any views about these or other candidates (these are all within a few bucks of $800 including tax and shipping, the very most I can spend), I'd be happy to hear it. Apologies for the ridiculously long reply.
Watching for responses to your post as I'm thinking the Bifrost 2, D90, and M400 will be the current go to moves for current DAC options.

May 22, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #2,788 of 5,150
Watching for responses to your post as I'm thinking the Bifrost 2, D90, and M400 will be the current go to moves for current DAC options.
Yeah, I guess the brand new SMSL M400 should be on my list too. It's $10 more than the D90 MQA and uses pretty much the same tech: e..g., decodes MQA, AKM 4499 chip, new XMOS XU 216 chip, etc. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but it probably boils down to aesthetics--they actually look quite different. (Though it hasn't been "reviewed" in ASR yet, I noted that the cultists are excited that manufacturer specs show it performs a wee bit better than the D90. Translation: although distortion in both DACS is beyond the capability of human ears to detect, test tones run through the DACs produce slightly better distortion numbers on the M400. Numfar! Do the dance of joy.)

May 22, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #2,789 of 5,150
Just realized that this amp is selling new at USD500. That should move the used prices.

No kidding! It is giving me some ideas as to when to purchase the Liquid Gold X, when it comes out. All this new sale is doing is making me feel as if I pulled the trigger on the LP way too early by, a margin of more than 18 months... Of course, I do not regret getting the LP when I did (Nov. 2018), given all the enjoyment it has given me since then, and is still continuing to keep on giving... However precisely because it keeps on giving, I might not be too quick to jump in on the Gold X when it arrives (i.e. assuming I can have the discipline to control my trigger finger for a long time at all, which remains to be seen!)... But, with all said and done, the LP at $499 is an epic and insane deal, under any sun! Bravo Monoprice :

Monoprice_Page_1.png

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2,790 of 5,150
Gotta admit, I wasn’t thrilled when I owned this originally but at this price it has me thinking of giving another try.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back