Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 8, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #2,611 of 5,150
No problem, I'd recommend noting the channel imbalance and see if the imbalance switches channels when you switch your current set.
Will do. Thanks again.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #2,612 of 5,150
I have babied my LP, and only used the suggested tubes, so go figure I am the one with issues. :wink: Guess what, my new replacement has issues with the balance of the volume pot! At first I thought this one was better, but this one is even worse. The channel imbalance happens at about 9:30 on the dial, and I can just barely move the dial from 9:30 to 9:35, and the sound jumps from being balanced to getting stronger in the right channel. I listened with some mono recordings, and the imbalance is very obvious. I have always heard of pots having channel imbalance at the lowest volumes, but this quite different, and not acceptable. So, back to Monoprice goes this replacement LP as well. I am starting to think that this amp is very cheaply made, and I am already thinking of buying the Schiit Mjolnir 2 instead. Why couldn't they just have put an Alps Blue Velvet pot in there, and done it right!! I am happy with Monoprice's customer service, but the Liquid Platinum is another story. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the LP, but the crappy parts are really starting to bother me. As it stands now, I can not recommend this amp to anyone, as I am not confident in the build quality at all.

This situation just sucks. This amp is on my wish list too. I have a Liquid Spark and an LCX and really do like the Cavalli sound. I was looking at buying this but just HAD to scratch the tube itch. Now I am thinking this would finish off my collection. Hhhmmmmm.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #2,613 of 5,150
This situation just sucks. This amp is on my wish list too. I have a Liquid Spark and an LCX and really do like the Cavalli sound. I was looking at buying this but just HAD to scratch the tube itch. Now I am thinking this would finish off my collection. Hhhmmmmm.
Same here @Shane D. I was thinking that the Liquid Platinum could give me that tube sound with solid state drive at a reasonable price. But now these last few posts have me rethinking my plan.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #2,614 of 5,150
Same here @Shane D. I was thinking that the Liquid Platinum could give me that tube sound with solid state drive at a reasonable price. But now these last few posts have me rethinking my plan.

It is probably just a one in a thousand thing, but we have to obsess over it. :relaxed:

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #2,615 of 5,150
Just to pitch in here, since I'm one of the folks who reported a failure -- there's a significant chance that my failure was not the amp's fault. We had some power hits before my failure, and the power supply came up with a blinking green LED when I turned it on. I never heard from anyone what that meant, and Monoprice replaced the whole kit. If it was just that the power supply got killed, I would have been willing to pay for a new one -- I mean that's hardly their fault. But as I said, I never heard anything from them except 'return it'.

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2,617 of 5,150
I got one used a couple weeks ago and I can say this thing sounds sensational. What are you afraid of? if it breaks there's a warranty no?
I rest my case...
Good point!

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #2,618 of 5,150
I have had my LP for well over a year and I have no audible channel imbalance. I have these tubes, but use no 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 in the LP. I have many 12AU7 as well as 3 pairs of dead quiet WE 396A / 2C51 and some special Mini Mullards CV3986 from Tube Monger. The 12AU7 and WE require adapres and the Mini Mullards are close to 6922 and do not. Some folks find this amp to warm for Empy's or ZMF VO, pared with a Chord Qutest and these tube, I do not.

The MJ2 may indeed be a good tube amp but it has way too big a footprint for me.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #2,619 of 5,150
I would also like to chime in regarding the channel imbalance issue mentioned above. Ive been running my LP extensively for the last 3 months and so far its been rock solid. With that being said, I have indeed noticed a very minor (extremely minor) channel imbalance. Almost 51-49 favoring my right ear. Whats surprising to me is that, I only notice it when i m playing my planars like LCD-X, AEON 2 Closed and Sendy Aiva. All of dynamics like Focal Clear, hd 660s, hd 598 sound accurate and dead center. I honestly dont know what can cause this. I am currently rolling a pair of JJ E88cc and previously rolled some 7308 Amperex PQ and Orange globes. Results are same for all the tubes.

Apr 9, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #2,620 of 5,150
I would also like to chime in regarding the channel imbalance issue mentioned above. Ive been running my LP extensively for the last 3 months and so far its been rock solid. With that being said, I have indeed noticed a very minor (extremely minor) channel imbalance. Almost 51-49 favoring my right ear. Whats surprising to me is that, I only notice it when i m playing my planars like LCD-X, AEON 2 Closed and Sendy Aiva. All of dynamics like Focal Clear, hd 660s, hd 598 sound accurate and dead center. I honestly dont know what can cause this. I am currently rolling a pair of JJ E88cc and previously rolled some 7308 Amperex PQ and Orange globes. Results are same for all the tubes.
Which tubes did you enjoy, were they any different?

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #2,621 of 5,150
Just to elaborate on my LP issues, my second one does indeed have really bad channel imbalance and it is not at the lowest volumes, and I could see lots of people not even notice it, but with harder to drive headphones (ZMF Ori) where I have to raise the volume more than most, that is where the jump from left to right happens. Like I also said, I love this amp and was actually thinking of buying 2 of them, one for a backup. At the current price of $600 and the 5 year warranty this amp still can’t be beat. I may be 1 in a thousand, but I have had 2 LP’s now with issues, so I guess that might actually be 2 in a thousand and there is that.

Fingers crossed that the 3rd one is the charm. . .

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #2,622 of 5,150
Which tubes did you enjoy, were they any different?
I enjoyed and still enjoying my amperex orange globe. I didnt like the PQ at all because the treble was wayyyyyyyyyy too bright for my taste and the midrange sounded veiled. My orange globes are just about perfect, although i could really use some warmth on the high end. At the moment my JJ tubes are treating me real nice and I hope the treble tames down a little bit after burn in. I have a pair of Sylvania coming up in a few days and after that i ll have 3 sets of tubes and hopefully various sound signatures to choose from. Let me know if you need any more suggestions.

Apr 9, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,623 of 5,150
Chiming in on my experience. I've had mine since Nov 2018. 0 Channel imbalance, 0 issues. Using Tubemonger socket savers and matched pair Amperex D-Getter Heerlen Holland 1959 on recommendation by @Wes S (thank you btw they are amazing, sorry to hear you're having issues)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #2,624 of 5,150

You have a very nice headphone collection. :thumbsup:

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #2,625 of 5,150
You have a very nice headphone collection. :thumbsup:
Thanks boss. Thats high praise. I have an Auteur on the way.....However, Im always on the hunt for some new cans. Plz feel free to suggest a pair or two that might pair well with my LP and my new Hagerman Audio TUBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back