Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 12, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #2,386 of 5,149
Before anyone jumps on this, you should know that the warranty is only for 90 days.
Thanks for pointing this out. Though it is open box, warranty should be the same as the regular one.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,388 of 5,149
To All and @runeight

This past weekend while jamming with my LP, I experienced a power surge, and I have a concern. Does this amp have some kind of protection, from surges and power outages? I have read that you are never supposed to turn off the external power supply, while the power button is engaged in the on position, and I have been following this procedure. However, the power went out while the unit was on, and then the power came back on, before I could turn off the amp, and now I am hoping that it did not do any damage? Everything seems to be working normal, but I just am curious about this scenario? I am using a Furman power conditioner, for surge protection, but not sure that is enough? Thanks for your time!

Wes

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #2,389 of 5,149
@Run
To All and @runeight

This past weekend while jamming with my LP, I experienced a power surge, and I have a concern. Does this amp have some kind of protection, from surges and power outages? I have read that you are never supposed to turn off the external power supply, while the power button is engaged in the on position, and I have been following this procedure. However, the power went out while the unit was on, and then the power came back on, before I could turn off the amp, and now I am hoping that it did not do any damage? Everything seems to be working normal, but I just am curious about this scenario? I am using a Furman power conditioner, for surge protection, but not sure that is enough? Thanks for your time!

Wes
Hmm. . .seems no one has any thoughts on this? Well, I went straight to one of the best, when it comes to these issues, and atomicbob suggested I put one of these in the chain - Cyberpower cp1000pfclcd. I really love my LP, and don't want to have to worry about it dying from a power outage or surge while using it, and the Cyberpower UPS, sounds like just the ticket, and did not cost an arm and a leg. I am getting it today, and will report back, after some listening time.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #2,390 of 5,149
@Run

Hmm. . .seems no one has any thoughts on this? Well, I went straight to one of the best, when it comes to these issues, and atomicbob suggested I put one of these in the chain - Cyberpower cp1000pfclcd. I really love my LP, and don't want to have to worry about it dying from a power outage or surge while using it, and the Cyberpower UPS, sounds like just the ticket, and did not cost an arm and a leg. I am getting it today, and will report back, after some listening time.
I am back and happy to report that the Cyberpower is doing the trick. I can't hear any difference, from being plugged into my Furman, and I have the added protection of the UPS, so this is a win. Now, I can listen with my LP, and not worry about it dying from a power interruption. :o2smile: I also, hooked up my Gungnir Multibit to the UPS, and it is nice knowing it is being fed a steady stream of 120v, and is protected as well. Since I leave the DAC on 24/7, it is nice not worry about that as well. The Cyberpower, is quite popular in other threads, and is a great addition, if you plan to keep your LP running perfect for a long time. I absolutely love my LP, and the mids are to die for, and I am so happy it is protected, and now I can get back to the music.

Happy listening fellow LP fans!

Wes

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #2,392 of 5,149
Do I need to run XLR in/ cables to be able to listen to balanced headphones?
Dac is not balanced.

No, you can use a single-ended DAC. The amp will convert from single-ended input to balanced output. I use a single-ended Bifrost Multibit DAC to drive my LCD-2 via a balanced cable.

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #2,393 of 5,149
Unfortunately, after ten months I experienced a problem with my LP. On power up the red light stayed on, never changing to white. No sound out of any output.
The good part is that Monoprice provided excellent support and I RMA'd it for a new unit in less than a week!
During the 'Oh crap' period I bought a Schiit Mjolnir just in case! :ksc75smile:

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,394 of 5,149
I have now had a chance to directly compare the Liquid Platinum with the Mjolnir and let me just say that both amps are really good.
Each amp has it's particular qualities with the LP being somewhat more musical and laid-back, while the MJ is very resolved and detailed.
I used the same set of Brimar E88CC tubes to compare the amps.
For SE testing I used DT 1770 cans and for balanced output I used the Fostex TH900mk2 headphones.
I did not notice much difference between the SE and Balanced outputs in regards to the overall sound characteristics of either unit.

The LP is a little darker with great overall tonality. It has slightly more recessed mids. Full bass. Good impact. Very musical!

The MJ is perhaps a smidge brighter with slightly sharper details. It's a little more analytical than the LP, but it also has a very refined sound. It's a detail monster. Piano is absolutely sublime.

Now that I have experienced both, I prefer the sound of the Mjolnir over the LP, but only by a small margin. I think the Mjolnir and the Yggdrasil make a great pairing.

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,395 of 5,149
I have now had a chance to directly compare the Liquid Platinum with the Mjolnir and let me just say that both amps are really good.
Each amp has it's particular qualities with the LP being somewhat more musical and laid-back, while the MJ is very resolved and detailed.
I used the same set of Brimar E88CC tubes to compare the amps.
For SE testing I used DT 1770 cans and for balanced output I used the Fostex TH900mk2 headphones.
I did not notice much difference between the SE and Balanced outputs in regards to the overall sound characteristics of either unit.

The LP is a little darker with great overall tonality. It has slightly more recessed mids. Full bass. Good impact. Very musical!

The MJ is perhaps a smidge brighter with slightly sharper details. It's a little more analytical than the LP, but it also has a very refined sound. It's a detail monster. Piano is absolutely sublime.

Now that I have experienced both, I prefer the sound of the Mjolnir over the LP, but only by a small margin. I think the Mjolnir and the Yggdrasil make a great pairing.

I have both the LP and the Mj2 and have been using both with my Verite for the past month. I find they are both very comparable in terms of performance, yet with slightly different styles.
Both offer great stage depth and imaging, resolution, and musicality.
The Mj2 has the most impressive dynamics of the two.
The Mj2 has more versatility with XLR pre-out, LISST option, and selectable gain.
Both fall slightly behind THX 887 in detail/sharpness.

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #2,396 of 5,149
I have both the LP and the Mj2 and have been using both with my Verite for the past month. I find they are both very comparable in terms of performance, yet with slightly different styles.
Both offer great stage depth and imaging, resolution, and musicality.
The Mj2 has the most impressive dynamics of the two.
The Mj2 has more versatility with XLR pre-out, LISST option, and selectable gain.
Both fall slightly behind THX 887 in detail/sharpness.

Nice, I agree that both units are comparable with the Mj2 being somewhat more resolving. I love the musicality of both units. Does the THX887 have the same musicality, depth and texture or does it have more of a solid state sound?

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #2,397 of 5,149
Nice, I agree that both units are comparable with the Mj2 being somewhat more resolving. I love the musicality of both units. Does the THX887 have the same musicality, depth and texture or does it have more of a solid state sound?
THX887 = Slightly more width and overall bigger stage, but it does this in an artificially sounding way. Less musicality as it can be a bit dry sometimes, especially in the mids. Texture it delivers differently than the mj2 and LP, more audible detail, yet less organic quality.
Definitely sounds like solid state. Would describe as lean, clean, and linear.

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #2,398 of 5,149
THX887 = Slightly more width and overall bigger stage, but it does this in an artificially sounding way. Less musicality as it can be a bit dry sometimes, especially in the mids. Texture it delivers differently than the mj2 and LP, more audible detail, yet less organic quality.
Definitely sounds like solid state. Would describe as lean, clean, and linear.
I had felt the same about the THX 789 vs the LP. I thought it was no better and returned it. Now though you are saying the THX is also better than the MJ2? Well in that case I better concentrate on the next level up........V281, GSX Mini, WA22 or Pendant.

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #2,399 of 5,149
I had felt the same about the THX 789 vs the LP. I thought it was no better and returned it. Now though you are saying the THX is also better than the MJ2? Well in that case I better concentrate on the next level up........V281, GSX Mini, WA22 or Pendant.

Or you could concentrate on finding DACs with better synergy with the amps you are trying. You can keep chasing for the next level up in amps and never find it because you're ignoring DAC synergy. Meanwhile you've churned through amps that would be exceptional if you'd only explored finding DACs that have better synergy.

The RME ADI-2 and iFi DACs are not DACs I consider to have good synergy with the better Cavalli amps. Explore. For me the Cavalli Liquid Platinum + Schiit multibit + Audeze LCD-2 or better is excellent system synergy. Change the DAC and it is very easy to lose that synergy. There are, of course, other DACs that will have great synergy with the Cavalli amps. The challenge is in finding them.

Dec 1, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #2,400 of 5,149
Or you could concentrate on finding DACs with better synergy with the amps you are trying. You can keep chasing for the next level up in amps and never find it because you're ignoring DAC synergy. Meanwhile you've churned through amps that would be exceptional if you'd only explored finding DACs that have better synergy.

The RME ADI-2 and iFi DACs are not DACs I consider to have good synergy with the better Cavalli amps. Explore. For me the Cavalli Liquid Platinum + Schiit multibit + Audeze LCD-2 or better is excellent system synergy. Change the DAC and it is very easy to lose that synergy. There are, of course, other DACs that will have great synergy with the Cavalli amps. The challenge is in finding them.
Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back