Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Sep 13, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #2,344 of 5,150
If interested, a new thread has been created for Cavalli's latest headphone amp with internal dac design which is solid state and has two gain settings and is called the Liquid Gold X with a price of $999.99.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-monolith-liquid-gold-x.914828/

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=304&cp_id=30405&cs_id=3040505&p_id=38967&seq=1&format=2&res=1

"The Liquid Gold X is a smaller version of Cavalli Audio’s most popular amp, the Liquid Gold. It is a fully balanced, differential front-end, solid state amplifier. In addition to the great analog sound of the original Liquid Gold, this amplifier includes a built-in fully balanced DAC section based on the AKM 4493 DAC. It has two gain settings and features USB, Coaxial, and optical digital inputs, as well as balanced and unbalanced analog inputs. The Liquid Gold also introduces our new MCU based products with computerized control of all the amp features including turn on sequencing and DC offset detection, giving you nearly everything you need in a single, compact package. "

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #2,345 of 5,150
If interested, a new thread has been created for Cavalli's latest headphone amp with internal dac design which is solid state and has two gain settings and is called the Liquid Gold X with a price of $999.99.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-monolith-liquid-gold-x.914828/

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=304&cp_id=30405&cs_id=3040505&p_id=38967&seq=1&format=2&res=1

"The Liquid Gold X is a smaller version of Cavalli Audio’s most popular amp, the Liquid Gold. It is a fully balanced, differential front-end, solid state amplifier. In addition to the great analog sound of the original Liquid Gold, this amplifier includes a built-in fully balanced DAC section based on the AKM 4493 DAC. It has two gain settings and features USB, Coaxial, and optical digital inputs, as well as balanced and unbalanced analog inputs. The Liquid Gold also introduces our new MCU based products with computerized control of all the amp features including turn on
sequencing and DC offset detection, giving you nearly everything you need in a single, compact package. "

Having heard and loved the sound of the original Liquid Gold, I'm definitely going to try one of these, even though I probably will not use the dac.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #2,346 of 5,150
Hello everyone. I made this informational post elsewhere, but now that we a thread here.....

This may answer questions that have been asked or may be asked.

1. The LAuX is exactly the original LAu, but obviously reduced to SMD sized components and lower power.
2. The power output is identical to the Platinum.
3. It uses the same DC power control as the LP. Don't use linear supplies as they may be destructive.
4. The analog inputs are the same as the LP - RCA and Bal. Obviously the additional input selection is the DAC.
5. The DAC doesn't have outputs to the external world.
6. The DAC selector button on the front cycles among the usual suspects, USB, COAX, OPTICAL.
7. You can completely ignore the DAC if you wish, but you might choose not to.
8. The DAC is not two Spark DACS put together, but a fully balanced design specifically for the LAuX.
9. As the announcement noted, this amp has an MCU on board. While this doesn't show much externally,
internally it does a better job of controlling the amp functions while monitoring its internal operational state.
10. For anyone who might be in EU, the MCU also incorporates the required feature of powering down
after 4 hours of no in put signal.
11. The board design is mine.
12. All amp electronic component specs are mine and cannot be changed without my permission.
13. Interface components are mutually agreed upon.
I'll be happy to answer other questions, if I can. Some I may have to defer.

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,347 of 5,150
Hello everyone. I made this informational post elsewhere, but now that we a thread here.....

1. The LAuX is exactly the original LAu, but obviously reduced to SMD sized components and lower power.
3. It uses the same DC power control as the LP. Don't use linear supplies as they may be destructive.
4. The analog inputs are the same as the LP - RCA and Bal. Obviously the additional input selection is the DAC.
6. The DAC selector button on the front cycles among the usual suspects, USB, COAX, OPTICAL.
8. The DAC is not two Spark DACS put together, but a fully balanced design specifically for the LAuX.
9. As the announcement noted, this amp has an MCU on board. While this doesn't show much externally,
internally it does a better job of controlling the amp functions while monitoring its internal operational state.
10. For anyone who might be in EU, the MCU also incorporates the required feature of powering down
12. All amp electronic component specs are mine and cannot be changed without my permission.

Where would this sit in regards to the liquid platinum? I am assuming that the liquid platinum is still the totl amp in the Cavalli monoprice family.

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #2,348 of 5,150

* starts a LAu piggy bank *

Thanks @runeight

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #2,349 of 5,150

Excellent! I've lusted after the Liquid Gold since I first heard it, and it looks like I will now have the chance to own one!

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2,350 of 5,150
Sigh... I do NOT need yet another amp, but hard to pass on a @runeight creation...

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #2,351 of 5,150

Alex - I own (and WILL keep) the LP.
Also, I saw the new Monoprice balanced DAC coming (in same form factor)...
My question: Is there ANY advantage feeding the LP from a balanced DAC? Unfortunately, the new LAuX does not have Balanced out from the DAC (what a shame!), and I have a decent DAC, so not eager to buy the new Cavalli DAC...

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #2,352 of 5,150
This is confusing since some of us are talking about the DAC only box designed to match the LP and others are talking about the new Liquid Gold amp with a DAC built in.

@runeight I appreciate the info on the Gold, but is there any info you can share on the DAC-only box I linked to above?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,353 of 5,150

Thanks for the information.

No remote I assume, since it isn't mentioned anywhere.

Please, can you tell us the values for the switchable gain?

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #2,354 of 5,150
Sorry about any confusion. This just seemed like a good place to put the info. There is, indeed, a Platinum DAC coming.

Gain is 2X/6X. No remote.

AND, not trying to get anyone to jump from their LP to LAuX. :)

It's simply that when a new amp like this comes out there are questions and I thought to answer them ahead of time if I could.

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #2,355 of 5,150
Sorry about any confusion. This just seemed like a good place to put the info. There is, indeed, a Platinum DAC coming.

Gain is 2X/6X. No remote.

AND, not trying to get anyone to jump from their LP to LAuX. :)

It's simply that when a new amp like this comes out there are questions and I thought to answer them ahead of time if I could.

Is the liquid gold an improvement over the liquid platinum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back