Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Aug 29, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #2,311 of 5,150
Thanks for the tip! Do you like those with your Aeolus? I have an Aeolus on the way that I am auditioning against my Auteur and HD 800s, would love to treat it to some tubes that pair nicely.
I have not tried them with my Aeolus yet, as my Aeolus have been rocking with my Bottlehead Crack Speedball, but they are a killer match with my Ori and Blackwood. I will try my Aeolus with those tubes and LP this weekend, and let you know how it sounds. I am thinking they are going to be a great pairing.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #2,312 of 5,150
Just to add, a little something about tube rolling - this amp is very transparent and really lets you hear different tubes, and is very responsive to tube rolling, as stated by members already.

When I tried the LP with Gold Lion tubes, I can't say I noticed that much of a change over the stock tubes, and therefore didn't think tube rolling changed the sound much. You are saying tube rolling can change the sound significantly?

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #2,314 of 5,150
When I tried the LP with Gold Lion tubes, I can't say I noticed that much of a change over the stock tubes, and therefore didn't think tube rolling changed the sound much. You are saying tube rolling can change the sound significantly?
I would say significant, with the right tubes, as in going from unlistenable to listenable with zero fatigue. That seems to be, significant to me.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #2,315 of 5,150
Define significantly. That means something different to everyone.

Tube rolling won't change the amp. But, it can help with synergy depending on the rest of your chain.
Well I tried to add more high end, detail and give the soundstage a more 3D effect. Not trying to make it much more lush. Not sure if that can be accomplished by tube rolling.

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #2,316 of 5,150
Well I tried to add more high end, detail and give the soundstage a more 3D effect. Not trying to make it much more lush. Not sure if that can be accomplished by tube rolling.
For me, Brimar CV-2492s nudged the amp in the direction you’re trying for. NOS Siemens really helped the stage, but also nudged tonality a bit warmer/lusher, which you don’t want. Same w/ Amperex PQs, with eve more warmth and less stage expansion.

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #2,317 of 5,150
For me, Brimar CV-2492s nudged the amp in the direction you’re trying for. NOS Siemens really helped the stage, but also nudged tonality a bit warmer/lusher, which you don’t want. Same w/ Amperex PQs, with eve more warmth and less stage expansion.
What would you say tube rolling changes are on the LP....minor or pretty significant?

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #2,318 of 5,150
Find a bright tube.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #2,319 of 5,150
What would you say tube rolling changes are on the LP....minor or pretty significant?
Depends on the cans.

Utopia improves from stock tubes to Gold Lions, more from Amperex, and even a bit more from NOS Siemens. Ether 2 didn’t really change that much until I tried them with the Siemens, which really expanded their headstage. HEKv2 are just a bit fuller w/ Siemens. Auteur are different w/ various tubes, but pretty good w/ all — best of any cans w stock tubes. For me, Empyrean needed the Brimar CV-2492 and the difference is pretty significant. Tube rolling seems to make very little difference to RAD-0 so far, but I haven’t really tested them exhaustively.

HD-6XX really sing from the Siemens CCa tubes. Biggest improvement for any cans w/ any LP/tube pairings.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #2,320 of 5,150
Depends on the cans.

Utopia improves from stock tubes to Gold Lions, more from Amperex, and even a bit more from NOS Siemens. Ether 2 didn’t really change that much until I tried them with the Siemens, which really expanded their headstage. HEKv2 are just a bit fuller w/ Siemens. Auteur are different w/ various tubes, but pretty good w/ all — best of any cans w stock tubes. For me, Empyrean needed the Brimar CV-2492 and the difference is pretty significant. Tube rolling seems to make very little difference to RAD-0 so far, but I haven’t really tested them exhaustively.

HD-6XX really sing from the Siemens CCa tubes. Biggest improvement for any cans w/ any LP/tube pairings.
Thanks for your input. I may just revisit this since I guess I need to do more tube rolling to customize the sound.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #2,321 of 5,150
Thanks for your input. I may just revisit this since I guess I need to do more tube rolling to customize the sound.
Given the price of the LP now I personally would recommend a similar priced MJ2 by Schiit. $50 more gets you a low/high gain switch, can be used as a pre amp, compatible with more variants that use an adapter. More room to take out tubes/socket savers/adapters and tubes play more of a role in the sound signature vs the LP. I have both currently.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #2,322 of 5,150
Given the price of the LP now I personally would recommend a similar priced MJ2 by Schiit. $50 more gets you a low/high gain switch, can be used as a pre amp, compatible with more variants that use an adapter. More room to take out tubes/socket savers/adapters and tubes play more of a role in the sound signature vs the LP. I have both currently.
Ah, right on time, I was also thinking of the MJ2, but there are so few comparisons and reviews on the MJ2 that I cannot get a good sense of how it sounds next to the LP.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #2,323 of 5,150
Good advice if you have easy to drive cans or a wide variety! The LP is magic with hard to drive cans, but the gain is too much for most.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #2,324 of 5,150
Good advice if you have easy to drive cans or a wide variety! The LP is magic with hard to drive cans, but the gain is too much for most.
No problem with gain as that's what my RME is for.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #2,325 of 5,150
Ah, right on time, I was also thinking of the MJ2, but there are so few comparisons and reviews on the MJ2 that I cannot get a good sense of how it sounds next to the LP.
I'd say the LP is a tad warmer than the LP with the same tubes but the MJ2 is faster but the LP is no slouch in that department. I'd chose the MJ2 if I had to have just 1 amp, for the reasons I stated earlier. The MJ2 also has more power than the LP but the LP is no slouch in that department either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back