Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 6, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #1,801 of 5,150
Just want to chime in about the low volume channel imbalance…

That is pretty much unavoidable when using an analogue pot.
I don't actually have a LP, but my Vali2, Little Bear P1, and Fiio e12a all do it and it's been confirmed with those amps that it is expected behaviour. Some pots are more obvious than others, and it also depends how hard your headphones are to drive (if you need to turn the volume up higher to get a comfortable listening volume you may never notice the imbalance)

Mar 6, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #1,802 of 5,150
Just want to chime in about the low volume channel imbalance…

That is pretty much unavoidable when using an analogue pot.
I don't actually have a LP, but my Vali2, Little Bear P1, and Fiio e12a all do it and it's been confirmed with those amps that it is expected behaviour. Some pots are more obvious than others, and it also depends how hard your headphones are to drive (if you need to turn the volume up higher to get a comfortable listening volume you may never notice the imbalance)
As @Mr Trev states, this is an issue with ALL potentiometers, all amps, more or less at the counterclockwise extreme. Alps too. Solutions are costly, from sorting pots, exceptionally tight mfg specs, or stepped attenuators with precision film resistors. I use a GoldPoint SA2X and set the LP pot for unity gain of the LP, which is around 1 to 2 o'clock. You can see the gain linearity issues in this post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gol...-technical-measurements.899382/#post-14761028

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #1,803 of 5,150
Channel imbalance exists in every single amplifier with standard style (smallish) volume potentiometers. Most don't equal out until right around 9 o'clock. The better ones match closer to 8 o'clock. Edit: Sorry, restated the above because I didn't realize there was an additional page.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,804 of 5,150
Does anyone know, if I can use the Sys in reverse and still use the volume to attenuate my dac signal? I have my mimby, hooked up to the output, and then my LP amp and Lyr 3 amp, connected to each input. I have the volume on the Sys all the way up, and can switch between amps, with the push of a botton, however, with my Liquid Platinum amp, I want more control on the volume to get past the channel imbalance, and was hoping I could just turn the SYS volume down to about 3 o clock, with it hooked up in reverse? Will this work with the Sys in reverse? and can I hurt anything doing this?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,805 of 5,150
Yes, it works in reverse too with volume control.
If you want it to act as a pure switcher in reverse, just max the vol.

Does anyone know, if I can use the Sys in reverse and still use the volume to attenuate my dac signal? I have my mimby, hooked up to the output, and then my LP amp and Lyr 3 amp, connected to each input. I have the volume on the Sys all the way up, and can switch between amps, with the push of a botton, however, with my Liquid Platinum amp, I want more control on the volume to get past the channel imbalance, and was hoping I could just turn the SYS volume down to about 3 o clock, with it hooked up in reverse? Will this work with the Sys in reverse? and can I hurt anything doing this?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #1,806 of 5,150
I am here to report another great pairing.

I feel like i finally heard, what my Alpha Prime are supposed to sound like! I have been using my Ori, since the begining, and have been loving it. However, i have to say, the A.Prime scale as goood or better. I was hearing sounds dancing around my head, with the most 3 d like effect and largest stage I have ever encountered yet. At one point, i stood up and had to sit back down, because i got dizzy. I literally felt like i was on stage. The tone is hauntingly lifelike. The Alpha Prime are still a magical headphone and the LP with Brimar tubes, really makes them sing.

Great to hear! Really looking forward to rolling my Brimar’s, Amperex 7308’s up first though, rolling those tonight

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,807 of 5,150
Great to hear! Really looking forward to rolling my Brimar’s, Amperex 7308’s up first though, rolling those tonight
They will be a huge upgrade to what you have, but once you get those other tubes....:ksc75smile:
Share your impressions of the 7308.
You should try the RCA clear tops ECC82, and 50's. RCA black plates ECC82. They go quite cheap on eBay and are darn good for the money. If you need help picking PM me.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #1,808 of 5,150
Kind of interested in other tubes like 12au7, however my thinking is that Dr. Cavalli designed this amp with 6922, and he is super super smart. I feel like i would be doing an injustice to the design of the amp, by using a tube that was not part of the design, but that is just me.

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,809 of 5,150
Kind of interested in other tubes like 12au7, however my thinking is that Dr. Cavalli designed this amp with 6922, and he is super super smart. I feel like i would be doing an injustice to the design of the amp, by using a tube that was not part of the design, but that is just me.
The WE 396's you have sound really good in the LP. Might be a tad warmer than the MJ2.

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,810 of 5,150
The WE 396's you have sound really good in the LP. Might be a tad warmer than the MJ2.
If i did put anything in there other than 6922, if would be the WE396A. I might try those way down the road, but for now I am happy as heck, with the Brimar.

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #1,811 of 5,150

I will do a direct compare between my Brimar’s and the 12AU7’s will let you know what my impressions are between the 2.

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,812 of 5,150
I will do a direct compare between my Brimar’s and the 12AU7’s will let you know what my impressions are between the 2.
Awesome! I would really appreciate that.

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,813 of 5,150

If i did put anything in there other than 6922, if would be the WE396A. I might try those way down the road, but for now I am happy as heck, with the Brimar.

Originally I intended to keep it just the 6922/equivalents but after reading how much TK16 was enjoying his other tubes. The curiosity bug bit and I wanted to know what the differences between the tubes would be. Plus now I have been “bit” by the “Tube bug”

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #1,814 of 5,150
Originally I intended to keep it just the 6922/equivalents but after reading how much TK16 was enjoying his other tubes. The curiosity bug bit and I wanted to know what the differences between the tubes would be. Plus now I have been “bit” by the “Tube bug”
Trust me, i know all about tube addiction! Been there, done that, hence my 10 pairs of Amperex 7308. That is why i am taking it real slow, with this amp. I am sure the 12au7 sound amazing.

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #1,815 of 5,150
RCA clear top 12AU7 and 50'S RCA black plate 12AU7 I predict your next purchases to be, quite cheap and quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back