Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 19, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #1,651 of 5,150
So far I shall call the sq differences I have heard, by swapping one of these pairs for another, as certainly "Interesting," but "subtle," rather than huuuuge, in a game-changing way...
Tube rolling doesn't make an amp better or worse, assuming all the tubes you use are high quality...there is some junk out there. They simply provide coloration.

Whether or not those differences are big or small depends on your preferences and chain synergy.

For instance, you might find the mids to be slightly peaky with the stock tubes, and a new set of tubes tames that a bit. It's a small/subtle change in the grand scheme of things, but it may take a system from un-listenable to listenable for a particular person given their chain and their preferences.

So they'll come back and describe the difference as night and day, dramatic, etc.

You have to take all those things with a grain of salt. Good data points, but not gospel.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,652 of 5,150
Please pardon my lack of knowledge but have a question regarding preamp gain in software.
Well I was playing with DSP engine of Roon yesterday. I came across EQ setting by Oratory1990 for HD800s. As per his EQ setting we have to apply around -10.2 DB of gain as there is bass boost of around 10.2 Db at lower frequency range. I applied -10.2 in the Headspace setting of Roon.
Does applying Preamp gain in software has effect on SNR or Resolution loss similar to applying volume control in Software, as per my understanding it shouldn't have.
Please let me know.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,653 of 5,150
Because I am worried about loosing volume control, with balanced.
The volume difference between SE and balanced is marginal at best with the HD650 and HE-500. YMMV based on headphone sensitivity, however.

If you're determined to stick with SE, then I'd go ahead and cross the Gumby off your list. Find a DAC that's designed to sound its best via SE, rather than a balanced DAC that includes SE as a matter of convenience.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,654 of 5,150
The volume difference between SE and balanced is marginal at best with the HD650 and HE-500. YMMV based on headphone sensitivity, however.

If you're determined to stick with SE, then I'd go ahead and cross the Gumby off your list. Find a DAC that's designed to sound its best via SE, rather than a balanced DAC that includes SE as a matter of convenience.
I am not determined to use SE, just researching options. Thanks for the info!

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #1,655 of 5,150
It's a game of inches when tube rolling on a hybrid amp at this price. The amp itself inherently has its own sound that will not change and the tubes move it one way or the other but that may be the the difference in being able to listen to the HD800 or ripping it off your head. Some tubes can and will make a significant difference. The Siemen's CCa is a bit too much in this amp, for my ears, with my current headphones but the cheaper $40 a pair Russian 6N3P square getter tubes are fast, euphonic, and still has great sub bass/mid bass. To be fair the CCas have not been burned in all the way but the Ruskies haven't been either.

If you want bigger changes with tubes; a good start is with the Bottlehead Crack OTL or more expensive OTL/SET amp solutions.
You were right the MJ2 changes sound sig more than the LP. Though the 57 Blackburn ECC82 is quite an excellent tube and noticeably better than all the tubes I have tried in the LP. Changes are still there in the LP but a bit less noticeable than MJ2. This tube LP combo is much better with LCD2C cans. Synergy is not there in the MJ2.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,656 of 5,150
I am using a pair of Brimar CV2492, and they sound quite a bit different than the Amperex 7308. I think these differences are quite noticeable. When tube rolling, I try to experiment with tubes, that are known to sound completely different, and then dial in from there. I suggest rolling tubes from different parts of the world, to get different flavors. For instance British vs. American vs. German, all different house sounds. Difference will be more subtle, when comparing a German to a German for example. There are exceptions, but as a guide, this should help.

Thanks for the input : I have not personally tested this theory regarding a possible unique house sound for each different country, but I shall experiment with that when I get the chance, and report back at some point.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #1,657 of 5,150
Thanks for the input : I have not personally tested this theory regarding a possible unique house sound for each different country, but I shall experiment with that when I get the chance, and report back at some point.
If you can find a Brimar CV2492, I say jump on it. I have just burned in a pair, and all I have to say, is wow. I will elaborate on my findings, in the tube rolling thread. And the differences between the Amperex 7308 and Brimar CV2492, are very obvious.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,658 of 5,150
If you can find a Brimar CV2492, I say jump on it. I have just burned in a pair, and all I have to say, is wow. I will elaborate on my findings, in the tube rolling thread. And the differences between the Amperex 7308 and Brimar CV2492, are very obvious.
where did you get these from?

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,659 of 5,150
where did you get these from?
Ebay. I snatched up 3 pair, because they are that good. Just make sure they are Brimar, not Mullard. Good info, about them in the Lyr tube rolling thread.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,660 of 5,150
Ebay. I snatched up 3 pair, because they are that good. Just make sure they are Brimar, not Mullard. Good info, about them in the Lyr tube rolling thread.
Looks like you bought out all the remaining stock, lol. Speaking of Mullard, I just switched out a Blackburn ECC82 pair with a Mitcham ECC82 pair about a year apart between the Mullards. The Blackburn tubes featured rich creamy tone similar to the Heerlen PW 6922. The Mitchams had a more refined sound, not as rich sounding but still warm. Bass tighter on the Mitcham and more detail and separation.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #1,661 of 5,150
Just snagged a used LP in the FS forum... im excited to try this one out, hope it's not a mistake with the QC these have had. Might get it by the weekend, we'll see. We'll be pairing it with the RME ADI-2, and HD650. Should be a pretty competent system

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #1,662 of 5,150
Just snagged a used LP in the FS forum... im excited to try this one out, hope it's not a mistake with the QC these have had. Might get it by the weekend, we'll see. We'll be pairing it with the RME ADI-2, and HD650. Should be a pretty competent system
Mines been solid, been running it 400 plus hours burning in sets of tubes I bought for it.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #1,663 of 5,150
It's a game of inches when tube rolling on a hybrid amp at this price. The amp itself inherently has its own sound that will not change and the tubes move it one way or the other but that may be the the difference in being able to listen to the HD800 or ripping it off your head. Some tubes can and will make a significant difference. The Siemen's CCa is a bit too much in this amp, for my ears, with my current headphones but the cheaper $40 a pair Russian 6N3P square getter tubes are fast, euphonic, and still has great sub bass/mid bass. To be fair the CCas have not been burned in all the way but the Ruskies haven't been either.

If you want bigger changes with tubes; a good start is with the Bottlehead Crack OTL or more expensive OTL/SET amp solutions.

Thanks for your input. All points are well taken. However, I am not interested in experimenting with any OTL or OTL/SET. I am actually more than happy with the way the LP is sounding with the tubes and the cans I have. It is just that I am new to tubes altogether, and I am trying to get a sense of what sonic contributions i can expect from tubes, which is why I asked my question.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #1,664 of 5,150
You were right the MJ2 changes sound sig more than the LP. Though the 57 Blackburn ECC82 is quite an excellent tube and noticeably better than all the tubes I have tried in the LP. Changes are still there in the LP but a bit less noticeable than MJ2. This tube LP combo is much better with LCD2C cans. Synergy is not there in the MJ2.

Can you list all the other tubes you tried? Is tough getting a bearing on what people like when you don't know what they prefer their current choice over. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back