Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,636 of 5,150
I'm using mimby, love the setup. Scary that I'm looking at $1000+ DACS and headphones now. Very happy with mimby-LP-6xx would like something balanced but SE @ 2v seems to do the LP some favors without the hassle of any further attenuation.

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,637 of 5,150
EXCELLENT question!!! Here is why:
I was debating between those 2 exact DACs myself. Had the opportunity to blind test both A/B style at a friend's house. Was true blind A/B since my friend did the switch back and forth, so I did not know which is which!
I played several familiar tracks, signaling to him when to switch (mid-song).

At the end of the test, 90% of the time I could not tell a difference at all. maybe even 95% of the time...
The very few tracks that I could tell a MINOR difference - it was more of a little different. Not better / worse type of a difference.
Interestingly, I consistently favored the exact same DAC when difference was observed!
That turned to be the Metrum :wink:
Price and form factor were advantage to Metrum as well...
Gumby has better connectivity, though (including Balanced out, which Metrum lacks)

All in all, I am very happy with my Metrum Amethyst :)
Important to note that I do NOT have golden ears, and was never musically trained (never played an instrument, etc) - so in my mind my brain is less observing than other people's. For that reason, other people might A/B same DACs and tell me they hear night and day difference.
Another note is that my friend has better ears / brain than me, and after I was done he told me that for him - the 2 are "more similar than different".

Bottom line Wes - I do not think you could go wrong with either of them!

Hope that helps :wink:
Do you happen to know if the Gumby was A1 or A2?

Thanks

Feb 18, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #1,639 of 5,150
Most people dont. It is better to ackowledge that, rather than falling for our biases, which a lot of people do.
I know, but was important to note so people won't start blaming me for not noticing "night and day" differences :wink:

Feb 18, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,640 of 5,150
Feb 18, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #1,642 of 5,150
dac with attenuation is nice for this amp i'd imagine. Else you can spend 620$ for attenuation like bob.. one of the many reason's I went with RME ADI-2. Though I still don't own LP, the RME will redefine what you think a dac should do. I'll likely, eventually move to a Yggy, but damn this is a killer product.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,643 of 5,150
Also, important to note if you were going balanced out from the Gumby.
Compared SE vs. SE. Not Balanced. Trying to keep it as fair as possible :wink:
Keep in mind Amethyst has a built-in headphone amp. Never use it personally, but comparing features - this is a pro for the Amethyst...

Feb 19, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #1,644 of 5,150
I'm curious what DACs people here are using with their Liquid Platinum? Planning on getting an LP and looking at the RME ADI-2 to pair with it, but curious what others are using?

A Gumby (balanced in with Rothwell XLR -15db attenuators) and an Auralic Vega (SE but no attenuators needed as it has volume control).

The Rothwell XLR attenuators, according to my old ears, have no adverse sonic impact and really increase the fine tuning I can do on the LP's volume. My old low volume 80's CD's (DMP, GRP, etc) get cranked up past 1 o'clock for adequate volume.

Also rolled in some 1960's Amperex NOS 6922 tubes and they are better then the Genalex. Not a revelation but rather a refinement.

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #1,645 of 5,150
Compared SE vs. SE. Not Balanced. Trying to keep it as fair as possible :wink:
Keep in mind Amethyst has a built-in headphone amp. Never use it personally, but comparing features - this is a pro for the Amethyst...
I actually was interested in the SE comparison, so thanks again Zachik!

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,646 of 5,150
So here are a couple of questions for those who have the expertise to answer : For a hybrid amp, such as the LP, how big a difference in sound quality and performance, should one be normally entitled to expect, by swapping one set of tubes against another? Is one entitled to expect to hear "night and day" differences in sound quality, as one replaces the stock tubes, with some vintage "holy grail" type, NOS tubes, for example?

In my case I have tried the
1. Stock
2. Genalex Gold Lions
3. 6N23P Reflektor Holy Grail 1975 SWGP Silver Shield (E88CC/E188CC, 7308/6922) '75
4. Telefunken E88CC/6922, military style, from ULM, Germany, 1960s
9. Telefunken E188CC 7308 . etc. etc.

So far I shall call the sq differences I have heard, by swapping one of these pairs for another, as certainly "Interesting," but "subtle," rather than huuuuge, in a game-changing way...

In other words, I really do love how the LP sounds with many of these pairs. It actually does not sound "bad" with any of the pairs I have listed. However, while I do love the way the LP sounds when paired with any of these tubes sounds on my "Metrum ambre/Roon" ==>> Metrum Onyx DAC, ==>> LP rig, I am yet to see any pair of tubes that might elevate the sq performance of that rig, to the level of my other rig, and even possibly, beyond that level:

'Metrum Ambre/Roon ==>> Schiit Yggy 2 ==..Violectric v281

I am not assuming that there is any problem in such findings, but if there are any, will they arise because I am expecting too much from a pair of tubes, or because I haven't still found the best tubes for the LP, to experiment with as yet? In other words, how much difference, is one entitled to expect a pair of tubes to make on such a hybrid amp, if there is a simple answer to such a question?.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,647 of 5,150
So here are a couple of questions for those who have the expertise to answer : For a hybrid amp, such as the LP, how big a difference in sound quality and performance, should one be normally entitled to expect, by swapping one set of tubes against another? Is one entitled to expect to hear "night and day" differences in sound quality, as one replaces the stock tubes, with some vintage "holy grail" type, NOS tubes, for example?

1. Stock
2. Genalex Gold Lions
3. 6N23P Reflektor Holy Grail 1975 SWGP Silver Shield (E88CC/E188CC, 7308/6922) '75

So far I shall call the sq differences I have heard, by swapping one of these pairs for another, as certainly "Interesting," but "subtle," rather than huuuuge, in a game-changing way...

In other words, I really do love how the LP sounds with many of these pairs. It actually does not sound "bad" with any of the pairs I have listed. However, while I do love the way the LP sounds when paired with any of these tubes sounds on my "Metrum ambre/Roon" ==>> Metrum Onyx DAC, ==>> LP rig, I am yet to see any pair of tubes that might elevate the sq performance of that rig, to the level of my other rig, and even possibly, beyond that level:

I am not assuming that there is any problem in such findings, but if there are any, will they arise because I am expecting too much from a pair of tubes, or because I haven't still found the best tubes for the LP, to experiment with as yet? In other words, how much difference, is one entitled to expect a pair of tubes to make on such a hybrid amp, if there is a simple answer to such a question?.
I am using a pair of Brimar CV2492, and they sound quite a bit different than the Amperex 7308. I think these differences are quite noticeable. When tube rolling, I try to experiment with tubes, that are known to sound completely different, and then dial in from there. I suggest rolling tubes from different parts of the world, to get different flavors. For instance British vs. American vs. German, all different house sounds. Difference will be more subtle, when comparing a German to a German for example. There are exceptions, but as a guide, this should help.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #1,648 of 5,150

1. Stock
2. Genalex Gold Lions

It's a game of inches when tube rolling on a hybrid amp at this price. The amp itself inherently has its own sound that will not change and the tubes move it one way or the other but that may be the the difference in being able to listen to the HD800 or ripping it off your head. Some tubes can and will make a significant difference. The Siemen's CCa is a bit too much in this amp, for my ears, with my current headphones but the cheaper $40 a pair Russian 6N3P square getter tubes are fast, euphonic, and still has great sub bass/mid bass. To be fair the CCas have not been burned in all the way but the Ruskies haven't been either.

If you want bigger changes with tubes; a good start is with the Bottlehead Crack OTL or more expensive OTL/SET amp solutions.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,650 of 5,150
Anyone looking for a good tube roll, to hear a diff
Why?

If you're considering a Gumby/LP combo, the SE out will hamstring the Gumby. It's meant to be used balanced.
Becau
Why?

If you're considering a Gumby/LP combo, the SE out will hamstring the Gumby. It's meant to be used balanced.
I am worried about loosing volume control, with balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back