Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 25, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,397 of 5,150
Jan 25, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #1,398 of 5,150
Yes they fit quite nicely.
Do they come out with the tube, or do they stay in when you pull the tube? I used a bunch of the chinese adapters in the past and they just came right out with the tube.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #1,399 of 5,150
Do they come out with the tube, or do they stay in when you pull the tube? I used a bunch of the chinese adapters in the past and they just came right out with the tube.

They will stay put, if you have pushed them down far enough into the sockets, in the first place, as one should. At any rate, the set up is done in such a way that you can remove the tube with one hand while holding down the socket saver with a finger on the other hand, if necessary. Personally, I have not had to do even that, because the socket savers always hold firm in their slots when tubes are being removed.

I did experience a few odd incidents of looseness of the savers in the first couple of days of use, but I soon realized it was because I had not pushed them far enough down their sockets to make them stay put...

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #1,400 of 5,150
They will stay put, if you have pushed them down far enough into the sockets, in the first place, as one should. At any rate, the set up is done in such a way that you can remove the tube with one hand while holding down the socket saver with a finger on the other hand, if necessary. Personally, I have not had to do even that, because the socket savers always hold firm in their slots when tubes are being removed.

I did experience a few odd incidents of looseness of the savers in the first couple of days of use, but I soon realized it was because I had not pushed them far enough down their sockets to make them stay put...
I hold the tube saver down with an ice cream stick while pulling up the tube. I suspect the sockets on the tube saver will loosen up over time and this problem will go away. No big deal though.

And it's MUCH easier to fit the tube into the socket in the tube saver which is about flush with the amp cover, vs fitting them directly into the amp, down in the hole. Especially if the pins on the tube aren't perfectly straight.

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #1,401 of 5,150
Good advice. I made this mistake witht the Lyr 3 and have a bunch of tubes, i will probably never use again.

I can relate, hopefully a couple of the pairs can be used in my future GOTL.

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #1,402 of 5,150
I can relate, hopefully a couple of the pairs can be used in my future GOTL.
I will hopefully have one of those too, someday, but for now, and i mean as i am tying this, the LP is blowing my mind. The bass is unreal with the Ori.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #1,403 of 5,150
I will hopefully have one of those too, someday, but for now, and i mean as i am tying this, the LP is blowing my mind. The bass is unreal with the Ori.

Ditto as well, absolutely love the R2R DAC, LP and the Autuers, all my other amps and headphones are on the sales block.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,404 of 5,150
I am not keeping the Liquid Platinum. Here is why.

I don't know too many budget amps (under $500), but I imagine the LP is better than most of them. I think it still is a great option for the US retail price, considering the potential of tube rolling.
Importing to Europe (£790) starts to seriously question the price/performance ratio especially if you look at the secondhand market.

I have tested the LP against my CMA600i and against the iFi Pro iCan. The truth in a nutshell is that both the CMA600i and the Pro iCan are in a different league compared to the LP. (DACs used are the 2Qute and the Pro iDSD)

LP has a nice, liquid sound. Very sophisticated, very delicate. Very detailed. Details are on pair with the two other amps. Vocals are as nice as they are on the 600i and better than on the Pro iCAN.

My biggest problem with the LP vs. these two other amps is that it just sounds thin. Too delicate, too polite. Nice, nuanced amp, but there is no meat on the bones. Perhaps the most neutral from the bunch and surprisingly the least tuby sounding. (Except iCAN in SS mode.) Even my CMA600i has a smoother and more rounded, richer sound. My other big problem with the LP apart from the relatively lean sound is the weakness of the bass. It is just not there, neither in quantity, nor in quality compared to the two other amps. The LP is definitely a mid-centric amp and while it does midrange beautifully, seriously lacks in the bass department. Treble is also less pronounced, however it is quite clear that helps with detail retrieval.

I know, it is somewhat unfair to compare the LP to more expensive amps. It is still quite a good option for US retail price, especially if someone is into acoustic, vocal or classical music. However I wouldn't recommend the LP for EDM at all due to the relatively anaemic bass compared to dynamic SS amps.

I was surprised, how much more tuby the CMA600i (current amplification) sounds. More rounded, richer, smoother, fuller, better texture. Keep in mind, the 600i's DAC is quite useless. You need to pair it with a good DAC. (See above.)

I don't want to trash the LP as it is indeed a nice, delicate, very refined amp for the price. But don't fool yourself that it offers a top shelf performance for the fraction of the price.

This is my 2 cents on the LP. It is a good amp for the price if you are into vocals and acoustic music, but won't replace your higher-end amps.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #1,405 of 5,150
I am not keeping the Liquid Platinum. Here is why.

I don't know too many budget amps (under $500), but I imagine the LP is better than most of them. I think it still is a great option for the US retail price, considering the potential of tube rolling.
Importing to Europe (£790) starts to seriously question the price/performance ratio especially if you look at the secondhand market.

I have tested the LP against my CMA600i and against the iFi Pro iCan. The truth in a nutshell is that both the CMA600i and the Pro iCan are in a different league compared to the LP. (DACs used are the 2Qute and the Pro iDSD)

LP has a nice, liquid sound. Very sophisticated, very delicate. Very detailed. Details are on pair with the two other amps. Vocals are as nice as they are on the 600i and better than on the Pro iCAN.

My biggest problem with the LP vs. these two other amps is that it just sounds thin. Too delicate, too polite. Nice, nuanced amp, but there is no meat on the bones. Perhaps the most neutral from the bunch and surprisingly the least tuby sounding. (Except iCAN in SS mode.) Even my CMA600i has a smoother and more rounded, richer sound. My other big problem with the LP apart from the relatively lean sound is the weakness of the bass. It is just not there, neither in quantity, nor in quality compared to the two other amps. The LP is definitely a mid-centric amp and while it does midrange beautifully, seriously lacks in the bass department. Treble is also less pronounced, however it is quite clear that helps with detail retrieval.

I know, it is somewhat unfair to compare the LP to more expensive amps. It is still quite a good option for US retail price, especially if someone is into acoustic, vocal or classical music. However I wouldn't recommend the LP for EDM at all due to the relatively anaemic bass compared to dynamic SS amps.

I was surprised, how much more tuby the CMA600i (current amplification) sounds. More rounded, richer, smoother, fuller, better texture. Keep in mind, the 600i's DAC is quite useless. You need to pair it with a good DAC. (See above.)

I don't want to trash the LP as it is indeed a nice, delicate, very refined amp for the price. But don't fool yourself that it offers a top shelf performance for the fraction of the price.

This is my 2 cents on the LP. It is a good amp for the price if you are into vocals and acoustic music, but won't replace your higher-end amps.
What tubes and headphones were you using, if you dont mind me asking? I am a big electronic music fan, not dance music, and with the LP, the bass hits so hard with the Ori, i am worried i am going to blow out my ears. I am not defending the LP, and dont care if you like it or not, but i would hope the Questyle CMA 600i, is in a different league, as it cost almost twice as much. . .

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,406 of 5,150
What tubes and headphones were you using, if you dont mind me asking? I am a big electronic music fan, not dance music, and with the LP, the bass hits so hard with the Ori, i am worried i am going to blow out my ears.
LCD2C and stock tubes. Bass on the 600i and on the Pro iCan is on another level. Speed, clarity, punch, body, slam, quantity all significantly better. LP being a nice and polite amp is not in the race with these two other amps.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #1,407 of 5,150
LCD2C and stock tubes. Bass on the 600i and on the Pro iCan is on another level. Speed, clarity, punch, body, slam, quantity all significantly better. LP being a nice and polite amp is not in the race with these two other amps.
Cool thanks for the info! I would love to hear those amps some day. However, for now the benefits of tune rolling with the LP, are real.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #1,408 of 5,150
Don't have your LP, but am using the LCD2C currently. I prefer them with warmer tubes. If you want some recommendations let me know.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #1,409 of 5,150
Cool thanks for the info! I would love to hear those amps some day. However, for now the benefits of tune rolling with the LP, are real.
Enjoy the ride, that's all this is about. We will reach each stop in time. So why don't we enjoy the journey instead of waiting for the next stop in mind. :wink:
A thought often forgotten on Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back