Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #1,321 of 5,150
Oh yea, I have a pair of those. I haven't tried them on the LP yet. I've also got an GLM1, which supposedly sounds very similar to the MK2. I'll let you know.

That would help me tremendously. The GLM2 adds speed to an already super fast headphone,staging is very nice,but bass is a bit lacking. Let me know :)

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #1,322 of 5,150
The "problem" with designs like O2, Nerochrome, Gilmore, and any that only care about measurements and raw engineering, insane THD levels, etc. They all pretty much sound the same, clean clean clean, dynamic and sterile as ****. Audio's too subjective.

I can relate to what you're saying. I don't really care about measurements as long as things sound good to me. What I really enjoy about the Cavalli amps is their liquid, almost magical midrange and smooth treble. I've been meaning to post my impressions of the Liquid Platinum but I just keep listening instead of writing. Right now I'm using the amp with the HD 650 - and what a great combo that is!

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #1,323 of 5,150
It seems I have to send back mine for replacement as I feel imbalance even at higher volume. I get more sound out of left cup compared to right. I will test back more in the morning.

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #1,325 of 5,150
I'm writing to see if anyone else has had this issue. I have had the amp since early December, first with the stock tubes and had been running with the Gold Lions last 2-3 weeks. It sounds great and I have not had any problem prior to this.

Tonight I was listening with the amp for 45min to an hour and it suddenly died. No light, no power. I switched it off. And I waited for it to cool down a bit before trying to switch it back on. No red light and just no sign of any power. The power break's green light is still on so it doesn't look like it's the adapter.

Any idea?

Update: Just noticed the power switch's green light flashes when I switched the amp on. Also tried switching back to stock tubes.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #1,327 of 5,150
Im considering selling my schiit and buying a Sokris 1541, i'd use it's built in amplifier for awhile, as it's a huge step up in price and really stretches my budget. May eventually get a better amp for it. Interestingly enough it also uses switchers, as does Nerochrome HPA1 and LP. Interesting we are seeing these in high end designs. It may be a new trend, even Schiit used a switcher in Magni 3, although that is a value product.

The "problem" with designs like O2, Nerochrome, Gilmore, and any that only care about measurements and raw engineering, insane THD levels, etc. They all pretty much sound the same, clean clean clean, dynamic and sterile as ****. Audio's too subjective.
I love my dac1541 and can highly recommend it;especially paired with the LP. It is an excellent DAC and a good amp. I used it as my only DAC/amp (at home) for almost a year. It also pairs really nicely with the LP; and most amps for that matter. Once I got the LP, I realized that the amp in the Soekris wasn't as good as I thought it was.
The 1541 is a nice all in one unit that should easily get you by until you decide to get a standalone amp in which case the LP is a great choice.

One thing to note... You can't stack the LP on top of the 1541. Besides the size mismatch, the LP runs pretty warm. I notice a bit of noise from the XLR outputs of the Soekris when I put a warm amp on (or under) it and heat it up too much.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #1,328 of 5,150
Well, I’ve pretty much written the current mono price iteration of LP off. Too high failure rate for my own comfort level. I’ve been considering RME adi 2 And Soekris 1541.

RME has great feature set, and soekris looks like damn near end game Dac with a serviceable amp, the amp in particular looks quite a bit better then what’s in the RME. If the specs are to be believed it’s quite powerful. I’d not expect it to stand up to mid-fi stand alone amps, would probably pair it a tube amp down the line. I’m still quite undecided, but looking at 1000-1500$ options to replace my current jot/bifrost stack. If that means getting a great Dac with a mediocre built in amp and upgrading down the line to a better amp im ok with that

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,329 of 5,150
Well, I’ve pretty much written the current mono price iteration of LP off. Too high failure rate for my own comfort level. I’ve been considering RME adi 2 And Soekris 1541.

RME has great feature set, and soekris looks like damn near end game Dac with a serviceable amp, the amp in particular looks quite a bit better then what’s in the RME. If the specs are to be believed it’s quite powerful. I’d not expect it to stand up to mid-fi stand alone amps, would probably pair it a tube amp down the line. I’m still quite undecided, but looking at 1000-1500$ options to replace my current jot/bifrost stack. If that means getting a great Dac with a mediocre built in amp and upgrading down the line to a better amp im ok with that

There will be failures. I've had failures with Schiit amps, Sennheiser headphones, IEMS, etc. The question is will the company that you purchased from have the customer service that you need to easily return the item and receive your replacement. I'm sure RME and Soekris have had their fair share of failures as well.

I've had two problems with Schiit's Gungnir MB. I paid to have it repaired since it was out of warranty. The second time it came back it also took a nose dive and they paid for the shipping both ways with nothing out of pocket. It's been running rock solid for about a year now without any issues. Monoprice has a 5 year warranty and are willing to replace it when their customer experience issues. One negative would be that they do not have a repair center for this amp like Schiit does. So if the amp fails after the warranty expires, well....

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,330 of 5,150
Damn, when it rain's it pours. 3 failure post back to back.
Remember failures are more likely to receive public attention.

For another data point I now have two Liquid Platinums. The first one received damage to the power control mosfet during my Linear Power Supply measurements when I failed to verify the Liquid Platinum power switch in off position before applying power from the LPS. That unit has since received hundreds of very enjoyable listening hours with no further issues provided proper power up and power down sequencing is followed. The second unit is performing as expected when used with the supplied SMPS with no issues.

For what it's worth, I rather enjoy either (RME ADI-2 Pro or Gungnir MB A2) + Liquid Platinum with HD6x0 / HD800. They provide complimentary functions. ADI-2 Pro is better suits me for dialog editing and 2-bus listening to mixes. Gungnir MB A2 is my pick for recreational listening.

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #1,331 of 5,150
Thanks for the feedback bob. I wish Gumby was not Xbox huge, and schiit had a competitive matching amp, Mjolnir 2’s not aging so well, outclassed by LYR3 and LP. Part of 1541’s appeal is its form factor. From what I gather it’s a Gumby rev1 competitor, don’t know how it stacks up to a2, either way it’s tiny.

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #1,332 of 5,150
I'm writing to see if anyone else has had this issue. I have had the amp since early December, first with the stock tubes and had been running with the Gold Lions last 2-3 weeks. It sounds great and I have not had any problem prior to this.

Tonight I was listening with the amp for 45min to an hour and it suddenly died. No light, no power. I switched it off. And I waited for it to cool down a bit before trying to switch it back on. No red light and just no sign of any power. The power break's green light is still on so it doesn't look like it's the adapter.

Any idea?

Update: Just noticed the power switch's green light flashes when I switched the amp on. Also tried switching back to stock tubes.

I just want to provide an update, I called Monoprice support on phone regarding the problem and was told that I should be able to get a replacement. Because I purchased through ebay, I was asked to go through the seller channel on ebay, which I did and am now in the waiting game.

However, my biggest concern moving forward (and for others who purchased through ebay), is that do we always have to go through ebay? What if my order record expire on ebay? With the 5 year warranty and from what I know, ebay cut off order history at 3 year point. And what if monoprice is no longer a seller on ebay? I tried to bring that up with support but was simply told to save a record and otherwise the rep wasn't able to address my concern clearly. Because if that's the case, why can't I simply work out a replacement directly showing proof of purchase? This left me slightly frustrated at this point.

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #1,333 of 5,150
I just want to provide an update, I called Monoprice support on phone regarding the problem and was told that I should be able to get a replacement. Because I purchased through ebay, I was asked to go through the seller channel on ebay, which I did and am now in the waiting game.

However, my biggest concern moving forward (and for others who purchased through ebay), is that do we always have to go through ebay? What if my order record expire on ebay? With the 5 year warranty and from what I know, ebay cut off order history at 3 year point. And what if monoprice is no longer a seller on ebay? I tried to bring that up with support but was simply told to save a record and otherwise the rep wasn't able to address my concern clearly. Because if that's the case, why can't I simply work out a replacement directly showing proof of purchase? This left me slightly frustrated at this point.
If you save your original invoice, it shouldn't matter. 5 years is 5 years. If they can't handle the return through ebay, then they would be expected to handle it through other avenues.

Glad they're taking care of you.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,334 of 5,150

Good to know that they are replacing for those who bought from ebay.

May be good idea to save invoice

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #1,335 of 5,150
Can someone with this product just tell me , how does it sound compared to a true OTL tube amp like the dark voice or the little dot mk3? Cause I am planning to get it , but I wanna since its a hybrid AMP how much of that 'tube' sound signature does it give? Cause I really want that 'tube' sound. I don't mind getting the dark voice or little dot mk3 as my first tube OTL AMP but I just though that I would not mind spending more on a hybrid if it means I can power up planars also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back