Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 14, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #1,231 of 5,150
I haven’t used Lyr3 but I have Valhalla2, although I loved the build quality of V2 but it has a dry treble and higher energy in it and since I own HD800s and 600, I really struggled with it. Did some tube rolling to tame it although it worked but never went away.
LP is more neutral, I guess it doesn’t color anything. I haven’t changed tube in LP so far. Also I felt better headspace and imaging out of LP but I haven’t done A/B testing with Valhalla to directly compare.
Yes I do wish it had gain switch and hence I also ended up ordering Sys. I hope Sys doesn’t color anything as it is passive preamp.

I'd have to get the SYS just for my powered monitors, but I had not considered the fact that it would also solve the gain issue. Bifrost > SYS > LP and Powered monitor
This would allow attenuation for both the powered monitor's and also the LP. Sys is well reviewed, and supposed to be pretty transparent, the attenuation is passive, just use good quality short interconnects.

I knew schiit made large improvements to heat output in LYR3 vs LYR and LYR2, but I did not realize the LP was as close as everyone's saying.

Thanks for the impressions of Valhalla, but that product is completely different, it's a full tube amp and vastly cheaper.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #1,232 of 5,150
I'd have to get the SYS just for my powered monitors, but I had not considered the fact that it would also solve the gain issue. Bifrost > SYS > LP and Powered monitor
This would allow attenuation for both the powered monitor's and also the LP. Sys is well reviewed, and supposed to be pretty transparent, the attenuation is passive, just use good quality short interconnects.

I knew schiit made large improvements to heat output in LYR3 vs LYR and LYR2, but I did not realize the LP was as close as everyone's saying.

Thanks for the impressions of Valhalla, but that product is completely different, it's a full tube amp and vastly cheaper.
I have few 4 ft Amazon basics RCA cables with me, I will use those. I hope 4 ft is fine. In Schiit website they said anything below 15ft should be ok but shorter the better.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #1,234 of 5,150
How does the liquid platinum sound in comparison with other tube amplifier. I heard that because it's a hybrid it does not have much of that 'tube sound. I plan on buying this as my 1st tube amplifier and to pair it up with the hd 600, ZMF aeolus and the Hifiman X v2 .Because since it's a hybrid and does not offer that tube sound I may look into the dark voice or one of the woo audio tube amp like the WA3.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #1,235 of 5,150
How does the liquid platinum sound in comparison with other tube amplifier. I heard that because it's a hybrid it does not have much of that 'tube sound. I plan on buying this as my 1st tube amplifier and to pair it up with the hd 600, ZMF aeolus and the Hifiman X v2 .Because since it's a hybrid and does not offer that tube sound I may look into the dark voice or one of the woo audio tube amp like the WA3.
It has plenty of tube wetness if you roll the right tubes. It's also versatile, as it can efficiently drive dynamics and planars alike.

No, it's not syrupy like some tube amps of yore...it has a little more oomph and clarity. But, these are good things.

There is nothing sterile or clinical about this amp and it has plenty of warmth with the appropriate tubes.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,237 of 5,150
@skyline315 that's good to hear that it still offers that tube sound . But may I just ask how do the stock tubes sound like ? What tubes would you recommend that would make it better ?
It's all about preference.

The stock tubes are pretty well balanced, but tend a little towards the dry/clean side of the spectrum. They aren't bad, by any means, and I could have been happy sticking with them.

But, I was after a warmer/smoother sound, and Brent Jessee at audiotubes.com hooked me up with a pair of 1972 Amperex A-frames made in Holland @ $85 for the pair. I'm very happy with the result.

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #1,240 of 5,150
The SMPS that came with it is universal. Just replace the plug.

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #1,241 of 5,150
can someone clarify how the RCA jacks on the back of the Platinum work? I see 2 sets plus balanced, im assuming SE input and balanced input, what is the 2nd rca set for? is it "pass though", with or without attenuation? The details on the monoprice website are horrible, no explanation at all.

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #1,242 of 5,150
can someone clarify how the RCA jacks on the back of the Platinum work? I see 2 sets plus balanced, im assuming SE input and balanced input, what is the 2nd rca set for? is it "pass though", with or without attenuation? The details on the monoprice website are horrible, no explanation at all.

It is a simple pass through. The RCA inputs are hard-wired together.

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,243 of 5,150
well at least that's somewhat useful. could run that to a SYS and then to powered monitors and still have another available switch on the SYS for something else. Guess you could just go straight from the bypass to speakers if you wanted to use software attenuation or had a dac with it's own volume control

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,244 of 5,150
Hey gents, I have a thought for all of you and would like to have some feedback from those who have very hot sources and need attenuation.

I know that some of you are using some kind of passive attenuation. In general, pure passive attenuation can affect the SQ because of the resistance introduced into the input stream turning the source from low impedance output to high(er) impedance output.

There is another way though. It would be a simple matter to create an active attenuator using high quality audio opamps. Attenuation would be done with a simple voltage divider before the opamp inputs. The easiest way to power such a thing would be two 9V batteries.

The advantage of this is that the source would still see a high impedance load, but the amp would see a low impedance source at the outputs of the opamps.

Batteries would ensure no significant noise introduction at the input to the amp beyond the inherent component noise.

I don't think the opamps (chosen properly) would have any audible effect on the SQ because the opamps would be operating in a very lightly loaded situation which would not incur significant THD, etc.

So just an interest check. Anyone interested in this? And if so...

1. Is my proposed method of powering ok?
2. What gain reduction would you want? Cut it by 1/2 (6db). Less? More?

I don't think something like this is needed for most situations, but there do seem to be some where it might be helpful.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #1,245 of 5,150
well at least that's somewhat useful. could run that to a SYS and then to powered monitors and still have another available switch on the SYS for something else. Guess you could just go straight from the bypass to speakers if you wanted to use software attenuation or had a dac with it's own volume control

In my experience, the Sys seriously degrades sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back