Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #872 of 5,150
Has anyone had a listen to this amplifier with the HE-1000 V2?

I’ve listened to the Platinum with the HE1000se and it’s fantastic. Also heard the very similar sounding V1 & V2 on the Liquid Crimson and found it to be one of the best synergies around. You should be very solid matching the LP and V2.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #873 of 5,150
Has anyone had a listen to this amplifier with the HE-1000 V2?
Yes, I have. I didn't love it with the stock tubes. Not bad, but not 'Oh Wow!' as it was with the Gold Lions and Utopia/Auteur. Not really an improvement over HEKv2 w/ SS amp (Bryston BHA-1). Pretty much the same results with all my planars (HEK, E2, EFO 1.1 -- haven't tried HE-560s yet).

I've ordered some NOS Siemens (it was that or some NOS Amperex), which I hope will up the Wow! factor. Unfortunately, they're a couple of weeks out as they're coming from Europe. Meantime, I'm going to switch back to the stock EH tubes to see if they're actually a better pairing with my planars. I had ordered the Gold Lions at the same time as the LP, so the stock tubes only got a cursory listen before I switch to the GLs, which were definitely OH WOW!!! with Utopia and Auteur.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #874 of 5,150
I’ve listened to the Platinum with the HE1000se and it’s fantastic. Also heard the very similar sounding V1 & V2 on the Liquid Crimson and found it to be one of the best synergies around. You should be very solid matching the LP and V2.
Yes, I have. I didn't love it with the stock tubes. Not bad, but not 'Oh Wow!' as it was with the Gold Lions and Utopia/Auteur...
Your ears, my ears. :beerchug:

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #875 of 5,150
Your ears, my ears. :beerchug:
Yes, I have. I didn't love it with the stock tubes. Not bad, but not 'Oh Wow!' as it was with the Gold Lions and Utopia/Auteur. Not really an improvement over HEKv2 w/ SS amp (Bryston BHA-1). Pretty much the same results with all my planars (HEK, E2, EFO 1.1 -- haven't tried HE-560s yet).

I've ordered some NOS Siemens (it was that or some NOS Amperex), which I hope will up the Wow! factor. Unfortunately, they're a couple of weeks out as they're coming from Europe. Meantime, I'm going to switch back to the stock EH tubes to see if they're actually a better pairing with my planars. I had ordered the Gold Lions at the same time as the LP, so the stock tubes only got a cursory listen before I switch to the GLs, which were definitely OH WOW!!! with Utopia and Auteur.
Hello, question from a total newbi, any 9 pin socket will work with the 6922 tubes ?
Do I really need those sockets?

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #876 of 5,150
Hello, question from a total newbi, any 9 pin socket will work with the 6922 tubes ?
Do I really need those sockets?

Are you talking about socket savers? You only "need" them if you roll a lot of tubes.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #878 of 5,150
The LP and the HEK v2 is a great match, Plenty of everything for every music genre.

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #879 of 5,150
Oh ok !!! Yes socket savors. So I don’t really need them ?

They just make it easier to insert and remove tubes without putting excessive wear on the amp’s tube sockets... hence the name.

If you’re going to roll a bunch of tubes in there and experiment with different sounds, socket savers are a good idea. If you plan on putting one set of tubes in there and leaving them, they aren’t really needed.

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #880 of 5,150
They just make it easier to insert and remove tubes without putting excessive wear on the amp’s tube sockets... hence the name.

If you’re going to roll a bunch of tubes in there and experiment with different sounds, socket savers are a good idea. If you plan on putting one set of tubes in there and leaving them, they aren’t really needed.
Got it !!! I plan only one or two changes :)

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #881 of 5,150
If I love the sound from my liquid spark should I do the next upgrade and get the liquid platinum or the thx aaa789? As great as the reviews and comments are on the 789 I'm worried I'll find it unexciting and or boring. I feel I need both to be honest lol

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #883 of 5,150
Liquid Platinum. THX AAA789 is overrated.

I'm all about a musical sound, feeling and emotion when listening. What makes you say it's overrated I'm curious? Have you heard it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back