Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 5, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #796 of 5,149
The only way to have drawn a spark as described would require the Liquid Platinum power switch to have been in the On position while connecting the power cable to the LP power inlet with the SMPS AC power connected. That is exactly what should not be done, and should be in the user manual. The Liquid Platinum is a very high performance precision audio device, fully balanced and similar to one of the all time great hybrid designs, Liquid Crimson. For those contemplating this amp, please follow user manual instructions carefully. The auditory rewards are worth the effort.
Thank you for putting things straight. We don’t need to make a false negative publicity here.

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #797 of 5,149
Thanks, but the LP power button was in the OFF position when I connected the PSU power lead to the back of the LP. I also observed a spark and an audible static noise when I plugged the wallwart into my Bryston power conditioner. This was BEFORE connecting the power lead to the LP (I read the manual 2x before doing anything). I have connected countless power cables to the Bryston and never had a spark/noise like that at the AC receptacle before. It appears to me that the sparking issues I experienced are related to the PSU as opposed to the LP amp itself.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #799 of 5,149
I guess there is an assumption that common knowledge would have all connections to an audio component be made BEFORE connecting external power supply to AC mains. The manual probably needs a note that states this explicitly and then a step between 2 and 3 under Amplifier Operation where SMPS is then connected to AC mains, AFTER having been connected to Liquid Platinum with the Power Switch in the OFF position. No spark can occur during connection to the amp if the AC mains are not connected.

A spark may occur with ANY SMPS power supply while connecting to AC mains. I've seen this with plenty of SMPS tested in my lab.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #800 of 5,149
For those thinking about using socket savers in the LP, I highly recommend you wait until the higher quality savers mentioned earlier in this thread are available. Why? Once you put the socket savers in, they are extremely difficult to remove. I'm speaking from experience.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #801 of 5,149
Anybody can comment on the LP oaired with the Teac UD 501 dac ?
Other option would be the Cayin idac-6 with LP.

I haven’t heard the Teac, but the iDAC-6 is a really nice piece. I’ve heard it a few times with the HA300, which is extremely resolving, and it definitely holds up with super high end gear.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #802 of 5,149
Got a replacement unit from Monoprice within a week. Absolutely no issues so far.

I’m enjoying the SE input more than the Bal input (SE is louder from the Gungnir MB), probably because I’m using different brand cables.

94055026-C485-4B47-9CAF-2698A4DC80BA.jpeg

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #803 of 5,149
Yep, it worked!

What worked you say? Pontus ==> LP/Gold Lions ==> Lazuli Ref ==> Utopia/Elex pads

Utopia bass cannons :beerchug:

Well, not really, but very satisfying bass: 'Friend of the Devil' from 'Dead Set', 'Thousand Year Prayer' from 'Open Road', 'Calling' from 'No One Built this Moment', 'Rescue' from 'West'.

Each piece of the chain helped. LP was the last bit to fall into place -- 100+ hrs on amp ~50 on tubes.

Best part is still tons of detail, same small, precise stage, great vocal production (Lucinda's vocal inflections on 'Rescue').

I suspect there are those who would say that it's no longer a Utopia, but who cares!?! Loving the sound!

BTW, 'West' is a great album. Highly recommended!

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #804 of 5,149
The only way to have drawn a spark as described would require the Liquid Platinum power switch to have been in the On position while connecting the power cable to the LP power inlet with the SMPS AC power connected. That is exactly what should not be done, and should be in the user manual. The Liquid Platinum is a very high performance precision audio device, fully balanced and similar to one of the all time great hybrid designs, Liquid Crimson. For those contemplating this amp, please follow user manual instructions carefully. The auditory rewards are worth the effort.

cavelli was on the SABF forum discussing this issue. i can't link it as it'll be removed (stupid policy!)

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #805 of 5,149
Here's the LPS post that I made elsewhere. If you are using an LPS please pay attention.

I in original post I referenced some measurements made by AtomicBob, also posted elsewhere.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Original Post)

I have been thinking on the use of LPSs.

Keep in mind that the Platinum was carefully engineered to reduce a really good single ended Liquid Crimson amp to a fully balanced Liquid Crimson (Platinum) in a much smaller size and at a much more affordable cost. What of this is important here is that all aspects of the Platinum design, including the SMPS power supply, all work together to accomplish this. The characteristics of the SMPS are part of the design.

Part of its behavior is its current limiting when over loaded. This overloading happens at turn on for a very brief period of time and the SMPS does its thing by limiting the current. The power circuit in the Platinum is expecting this to happen.

Using an LPS that does not current limit or has huge capacitors at its output or can otherwise dump a lot of current into the DC jack is definitely a RISK. It is likely out of the design envelope of the power management portion of the amp.

Though I am not Monoprice I have to recommend that you don't use LPSs with this amp and that you do stick with the supplied SMPS.

It is designed to perform extremely well with this supply. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to add to this, that the Platinum was tested with its SMPS including inserting and removing DC plug and AC plug when the power switch was both on and off. Power switch off is the recommended procedure because of the delay timings inherent to the amp. But if you accidentally forget the position of the switch, no damage was done in any combination of plugging/unplugging and/or turning on/off.

Even if you use the LPS in preferred on/off sequence, if you don't know how it is behaving on the startup shutdown transients you are taking risk outside of warranty. See other forum to find AtomicBob's excellent measurements on this part of the system.

Otherwise, it sounds like you all are really enjoying this amp. That was goal. :L3000:

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #806 of 5,149
Yep, it worked!

What worked you say? Pontus ==> LP/Gold Lions ==> Lazuli Ref ==> Utopia/Elex pads

Utopia bass cannons :beerchug:

Well, not really, but very satisfying bass: 'Friend of the Devil' from 'Dead Set', 'Thousand Year Prayer' from 'Open Road', 'Calling' from 'No One Built this Moment', 'Rescue' from 'West'.

Each piece of the chain helped. LP was the last bit to fall into place -- 100+ hrs on amp ~50 on tubes.

Best part is still tons of detail, same small, precise stage, great vocal production (Lucinda's vocal inflections on 'Rescue').

I suspect there are those who would say that it's no longer a Utopia, but who cares!?! Loving the sound!

BTW, 'West' is a great album. Highly recommended!
After writing this, I decided to go back and try stock Utopia pads. And...that works with LP!

As background, I really like my Utopia, but felt they were just a bit bright/demanding/fatiguing. I played with a number of different changes to my chain -- Liquid Carbon X vs Bryston BHA-1 vs Violectric v280, Denafrips Ares vs Pontus vs Oppo Sonica DAC, Dekoni Elite pads vs stock pads, Cardas Clear cable vs WyWires Platinum vs Lazuli Ref. None of these changes really satisfied me.

Finally found that MassDrop Elex pads made a difference which left me very happy.

Fast forward to arrival of the LP. With stock tubes I was generally happy, but didn't feel it helped that much with Utopia. But now, after burn-in, and swapping for the Gold Lions, I'm thrilled with this combination. And I'm very happy to go back to the stock pads. Now I'm gonna be seeing which cable works best, as I certainly don't need 3 top end cables for one Utopia.

Cheers!

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #807 of 5,149
Here's the LPS post that I made elsewhere. If you are using an LPS please pay attention.

I in original post I referenced some measurements made by AtomicBob, also posted elsewhere.
*edit*
Measurements are here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-cavalli-liquid-platinum-technical-measurements.894843/

Warning about LPS and SMPS+NoiseNuke here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...ical-measurements.894843/page-2#post-14641335

This represents the most comprehensive set of measurements ever published on any amplifier.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #808 of 5,149
After writing this, I decided to go back and try stock Utopia pads. And...that works with LP!

As background, I really like my Utopia, but felt they were just a bit bright/demanding/fatiguing. I played with a number of different changes to my chain -- Liquid Carbon X vs Bryston BHA-1 vs Violectric v280, Denafrips Ares vs Pontus vs Oppo Sonica DAC, Dekoni Elite pads vs stock pads, Cardas Clear cable vs WyWires Platinum vs Lazuli Ref. None of these changes really satisfied me.

Finally found that MassDrop Elex pads made a difference which left me very happy.

Fast forward to arrival of the LP. With stock tubes I was generally happy, but didn't feel it helped that much with Utopia. But now, after burn-in, and swapping for the Gold Lions, I'm thrilled with this combination. And I'm very happy to go back to the stock pads. Now I'm gonna be seeing which cable works best, as I certainly don't need 3 top end cables for one Utopia.

Cheers!

I always felt both the Liquid Crimson and the Lazuli Reference were huge game changers for the Utopia. Very nice chain you’ve got going there.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #809 of 5,149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back