Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 4, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #783 of 5,150
Dec 4, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #784 of 5,150
My LP powered itself down mid-morning and I have been unable to power it back on. I have verified that I'm getting 36.5V out of the power brick. Anyone else experienced anything like this?
I have put in a call to Monoprice support.

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #785 of 5,150
My LP powered itself down mid-morning and I have been unable to power it back on. I have verified that I'm getting 36.5V out of the power brick. Anyone else experienced anything like this?
I have put in a call to Monoprice support.

I actually had something that might be like this. One day, I tried turning my LP on and it wouldn't turn on! no lights, no tube glow or sound. Currently waiting on my replacement T_T How many hours did you have on it? I was probably at 150 hrs

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #786 of 5,150
That's a drag that your LPs died. It's not heat related is it ? I have mine out in the open and it probably runs a little cooler than other tube amps I've had. Hope it's resolved easily for you guys. I'd be bummed if mine died.

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #787 of 5,150
That's a drag that your LPs died. It's not heat related is it ? I have mine out in the open and it probably runs a little cooler than other tube amps I've had. Hope it's resolved easily for you guys. I'd be bummed if mine died.

Yeah, I was pretty sad when mines died. I was really loving it! I don't know if it was heat related. Mines was on top of my desk with lots of airflow and ran only warm.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #790 of 5,150
Mine hasn't died but I did have a tube go out within the first 10 minutes of listening which caused the amp to revert back to it's "safe" mode. I contacted Monoprice and they'll hopefully get me some new ones. They're being very slow about it. Currently rocking some Amperex tubes while I'm waiting and it's working great.

And the second thing isn't so much of an issue as it is an annoyance, but I have a little play in the volume knob. I don't normally expect to see this in an amp at this price point. Has anyone else experienced this?

Overall, really happy with the sound. Truly an excellent pairing with the Aeon Flow Closed.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #791 of 5,150
Mine hasn't died but I did have a tube go out within the first 10 minutes of listening which caused the amp to revert back to it's "safe" mode. I contacted Monoprice and they'll hopefully get me some new ones. They're being very slow about it. Currently rocking some Amperex tubes while I'm waiting and it's working great.

And the second thing isn't so much of an issue as it is an annoyance, but I have a little play in the volume knob. I don't normally expect to see this in an amp at this price point. Has anyone else experienced this?

Overall, really happy with the sound. Truly an excellent pairing with the Aeon Flow Closed.

My knob is silky smooth so far. Not much resistance but incredibly smooth/consistent.

At first I read your comment as a concern about the amount of gain/volume on the knob, for that I want to reiterate for those considering the LP... You must have something in your chain before the LP to tame the volume. With the HD 6XXs (balanced) and the Schiit SYS at 50% fed by the Mimby I hit the range of my preferred listening levels at 9 o'clock on the volume knob.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #792 of 5,150
My knob is silky smooth so far. Not much resistance but incredibly smooth/consistent.

At first I read your comment as a concern about the amount of gain/volume on the knob, for that I want to reiterate for those considering the LP... You must have something in your chain before the LP to tame the volume. With the HD 6XXs (balanced) and the Schiit SYS at 50% fed by the Mimby I hit the start of the range of my preferred listening volumes at 9 o'clock on the volume knob.

Mine is very smooth as well. Just has that little bit of play when changing from increasing volume to decreasing, or the other way around.

If there's ever another version of the Platinum, it definitely needs a gain switch. I'm around 9 o'clock or less for every one of my headphones. Above that is very loud.Thankfully, I can tame it with the 1541.

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #793 of 5,150

At first I read your comment as a concern about the amount of gain/volume on the knob, for that I want to reiterate for those considering the LP... You must have something in your chain before the LP to tame the volume. With the HD 6XXs (balanced) and the Schiit SYS at 50% fed by the Mimby I hit the range of my preferred listening levels at 9 o'clock on the volume knob.

Mine is not smooth at all. I felt strange but didn't care about it so far. But now I have a concern about this issue.

At this moment, I have both liquid spark and liquid platinum. Strangely, the liquid spark has the silky smooth volume knob, but the volume knob on the Platinum is obviously more resistant and bit stiff.

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #794 of 5,150
I powered up my LP for the first time today and got a scare. When I connected the AC power cable lead to the LP, I saw a yellow/orange electrical spark at the power connection jack on the LP. The spark was approximately one-quarter inch in length. The LED on the front of the amp came on as red but never turned white. I figured the amp was cooked. I called MonoPrice tech support. They were ready to swap me a new LP. While I was still on the phone with tech support, I powered off the amp, disconnected the power lead, and removed the tubes to inspect them. The tubes appeared normal to the naked eye. I plugged everything back in and this time the LP worked properly . . . there were no sparks, and the red LED turned white in a timely fashion. The amp has now been powered up for nine consecutive hours without issue. At all times, the LP PSU was plugged into a Bryston BIT20 Power Conditioner with surge protection, so I am confident my AC current is not the culprit. Initially, I was prepared to look past the electrical spark thing as an isolated incident, but reading about the wonky power-related issues some others are experiencing, I am considering returning the LP to MonoPrice for a refund.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #795 of 5,150
The only way to have drawn a spark as described would require the Liquid Platinum power switch to have been in the On position while connecting the power cable to the LP power inlet with the SMPS AC power connected. That is exactly what should not be done, and should be in the user manual. The Liquid Platinum is a very high performance precision audio device, fully balanced and similar to one of the all time great hybrid designs, Liquid Crimson. For those contemplating this amp, please follow user manual instructions carefully. The auditory rewards are worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back