Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 21, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #616 of 5,150
I want to play with the Liquid Platinum but it’s probably underpowered for Susvara given it’s not great with HE6. Anyone tried them with HE1000?

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #617 of 5,150
Just a heads up for anyone on the fence for this amp:

Ebay is running a 15% off coupon tomorrow <- credit to the deals thread Captain @wormsdriver . Looks like it'll cap out at $100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monolith-L...li/392168189852?hash=item5b4f0baf9c:rk:1:pf:0

Congrats to @runeight . This amp really pulled out that Cavalli amp sound. So much to enjoy.

Big winners for synergy:
Focal Elex
Senn HD800
Hifiman Edition X <-- Really really good!

I'm still on the fence with the HE-6. It really depends on the loudness level of the song.

Thanks very much for this ... I just ordered on eBay. I was planning to wait until 11/23 to get the extended Monoprice holiday demo period, but $100 off was too good to pass up!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #618 of 5,150
I want to play with the Liquid Platinum but it’s probably underpowered for Susvara given it’s not great with HE6. Anyone tried them with HE1000?
Some people have said it's an excellent match for the 1k. Those opinions are what got me to order. When mine arrives I'll let ya know what I think of the pairing.

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #619 of 5,150
Some people have said it's an excellent match for the 1k. Those opinions are what got me to order. When mine arrives I'll let ya know what I think of the pairing.

The Ananda and LP are a fantastic pairing. The default tubes work fine after they’re burned in but if you swap them for higher end NOS tubes it really elevates the SQ. I have a feeling it’ll be the same with the 1K.

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #620 of 5,150
Hi, I am interested in the LP and am wondering if it is likely to be a meaningful upgrade from my current amp (Schiit Jotunheim), with which I am generally very happy.

My primary cans are: Focal Clear (balanced), Audeze LCD-X (single-ended), and Audeze LCD-2F (single-ended). I also use my Denon AH-D2000 (single-ended) and Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV (single-ended) occasionally.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much and happy holidays to all!

I think your question begs a couple of other questions : I notice you seem to use many of your cans in SE mode (with the exception of the Focal Clear)... Is there any special reason for that? This is important because the LP actually performs better in Balanced mode, and might not be optimal for those cans which you use in SE mode.

The second question regards what DAC you're using...

With those two caveats out of the way, i feel pretty confident in saying that : with the right DAC to assure optimal synergy, and with all headphones used in balanced mode, you're most likely to appreciate the LP a little more over the Jot...

To be fair, I have never heard the Jot, so you will ultimately need the input of someone who has done a head to head comparo of the Jot with the LP. Even then, subjective impressions

The LP really rocks my He-1000 quite well, and effortlessly too. It translates the technical qualities of these cans really well, and I wound't hesitate at all to recommend the pairing.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #621 of 5,150
I notice you seem to use many of your cans in SE mode (with the exception of the Focal Clear)... Is there any special reason for that?

A few reasons, actually. I have several HP amps and all of them are SE-only except the Jot. Also, I feed the Jot single-ended from the tape-loop output of my preamp -- which I will do with the LP -- so I did not think there would be much benefit to coming out of the Jot balanced. Finally, I have yet to find a reasonably priced three-meter balanced headphone cable with stellar reviews. (With the Focal Clear's, I use the stock balanced cable that came with the cans.)

The second question regards what DAC you're using...

PS Audio DirectStream Sr.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #623 of 5,150
Ordered from eBay ! What's a good balanced cable for HD6xx ?
I've been very happy with my cables from LQI cables:

https://lqicables.com/

Nice ergonomics, good service, reasonable prices. I got one for my HD-6xx, and another short, 2.5mm TRRS for my Utopia. The whole custom sleeve color thing is fun!

I've also purchased from Triton:

http://tritonaudiocables.com/

Great service, and very fast (3 days from order to delivery). He does also custom work for reasonable prices (re-termination, unusual adapter/interconnects...).

GLTY.

PS, I ordered from eBay as well -- couldn't pass up $100 off. Also, matched Gold Lions for $75 - 15%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back