Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 20, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #586 of 5,150
Thanks for the reply. I thought they will be more brittle after being dipped in liquid nitrogen LoL

@hemtmaker,

A lot of tools, electronic devices, parts, etc also use Liquid Nitrogen process, depending on what the thing is, it will generally provide increased durability, conductivity for certain materials, etc
Think of it as a form of tempering.

Also time an object is immersed or exposed to LN all depends so no, it wouldn't be brittle.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #587 of 5,150
@hemtmaker,

A lot of tools, electronic devices, parts, etc also use Liquid Nitrogen process, depending on what the thing is, it will generally provide increased durability, conductivity for certain materials, etc
Think of it as a form of tempering.

Also time an object is immersed or exposed to LN all depends so no, it wouldn't be brittle.

Hope you have a great day !
Cheers for that

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #589 of 5,150
You guys are hell-bent on ruining me. I ordered balanced XLR cable for Utopias and now Gold Lion tube upgrades... What next? LPS? No way!
I feel you mate. Once you buy anything top of the line gear (ie utopia), upgrading the rest of you chain is a matter of when.......

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #590 of 5,150
I have a basic question - no matter what headphones I use (13ohm Aeon Flows, or 300 ohm HD800S), advancing the volume knob past the 9 o:clock position is just too loud for me. So, my question is: would it be better/or not - putting a passive preamp between my DAC(Denafrips Ares) and the LP to give me more play with the LP volume knob.
I've considered the iFi IEmatch, but I believe that is only for se output(I could be wrong about that)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #591 of 5,150
has anyone had any experience pairing this bad boy with the RME ADI Dac 2?
I'm wondering if this would be a worthy ally for my trusty DAC.
I rock 800S, Teaks and 6XX
Thanks

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #592 of 5,150
I have a basic question - no matter what headphones I use (13ohm Aeon Flows, or 300 ohm HD800S), advancing the volume knob past the 9 o:clock position is just too loud for me. So, my question is: would it be better/or not - putting a passive preamp between my DAC(Denafrips Ares) and the LP to give me more play with the LP volume knob.
I've considered the iFi IEmatch, but I believe that is only for se output(I could be wrong about that)
Actually, there was a bit of back-and-forth about this (too much gain) somewhere else :)

After the OP mentioned that the problem was resolved, I PM'd to ask what he did, and the answer was 'Preamp'.

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #593 of 5,150
Hi, I am interested in the LP and am wondering if it is likely to be a meaningful upgrade from my current amp (Schiit Jotunheim), with which I am generally very happy.

My primary cans are: Focal Clear (balanced), Audeze LCD-X (single-ended), and Audeze LCD-2F (single-ended). I also use my Denon AH-D2000 (single-ended) and Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV (single-ended) occasionally.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much and happy holidays to all!

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #594 of 5,150
Made by Genalex. I like them myself quite a bit. They are $46 at tube depot. Don't know about other places.

But, if you don't want to spend big bucks on NOS 6922s, these might suit you pretty well.
I just got the Genalex Gold Lions yesterday. Even without burn-in, you hear an improvement over the standard tubes that come with the LP. I previously used the Gold Lions in the Lyr 2, also.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #595 of 5,150
Hi, I am interested in the LP and am wondering if it is likely to be a meaningful upgrade from my current amp (Schiit Jotunheim), with which I am generally very happy.

I haven't heard both, but I think that once you have made it into this space, it's more about whether or not you enjoy the sound rather than a "step up". These amps are all really good and have have slightly different sonic characteristics that stop being simply better/worse.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #597 of 5,150
My primary cans are: Focal Clear (balanced), Audeze LCD-X (single-ended), and Audeze LCD-2F (single-ended). I also use my Denon AH-D2000 (single-ended) and Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV (single-ended) occasionally.

Purchasing a balanced headphone cable for your Audeze planer magnetic headphones will have a huge impact in SQ and listening pleasure.

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #599 of 5,150
I haven't heard both, but I think that once you have made it into this space, it's more about whether or not you enjoy the sound rather than a "step up". These amps are all really good and have have slightly different sonic characteristics that stop being simply better/worse.
I moved up from the Jotunheim to the LP. I was also very happy with the Jotunheim. The LP has a smoother presentation with extra extension in both the highs and lows. I just changed to the Genalex Gold Lions tubes for even more exceptional performance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back