Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jun 3, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #91 of 5,150
In addition to the scale and manufacturing factors. It's likely that they also make other compromises in the process. An external switched power supply likely saves some money. The case is probably less expensive. There are likely other cost saving options too.

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #92 of 5,150
That is great to hear. I thought I won’t ever have a chance to buy his products brand new following his retirement (because I could not afford them back when he was with Cavalli) but I guess as of now with Mono stepping in... We all can afford some good cavallis.

Btw, how does mono drive the price down so hard though? From a $499 portable amp to a $99 desktop one? Like just how... Did they move production to china or some sort like that

The battery and related circuitry were a huge cost that was eliminated from the equation. Plus cost of assembly and distribution is going to be a lot lower for a large company like Monoprice relative to a 3-5 man boutique shop like Cavalli. Also, the case work was simplified, though that wasn’t as big of a cost driver as the other two. The essential circuit remains the same, though it can now have more powerful voltage rails thanks to using a SMPS instead of the onboard power supply.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #101 of 5,150
Small update for you guys since we're in a delay without much info:

20180608_120858 (3).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back