Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jun 17, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #107 of 5,150
Sorry, I don't have much inside on the details of the delays.
Someone compared those Monoprice amps to Massdrop couple weeks ago, in term of conceptual difference in business models... From my perspective:
Massdrop: You pay in advance, long waiting period, but they deliver as promised / on time.
Monoprice: You don't (and cannot) pay until ready to ship, but new items get delayed for many months! Those Cavalli amps originally were supposed to be shipped sometime in April. Now it is October, and I personally would not put any bets on that date either... :wink:

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #108 of 5,150
Someone compared those Monoprice amps to Massdrop couple weeks ago, in term of conceptual difference in business models... From my perspective:
Massdrop: You pay in advance, long waiting period, but they deliver as promised / on time.
Monoprice: You don't (and cannot) pay until ready to ship, but new items get delayed for many months! Those Cavalli amps originally were supposed to be shipped sometime in April. Now it is October, and I personally would not put any bets on that date either... :wink:

Interesting point for each, although I think there have been a lot of delays with massdrop drops as well. I think one of their current Sennheiser ones has had a month or so delay added.

Either way, I'd rather things get done correctly rather than rushed with issues later.

Alex Cavalli just commented on the delay:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...-dropping-monday.857673/page-49#post-14310452

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #109 of 5,150
(Meant to post this here)

Hey folks, I've noticed the comments about the delays on the Monoprice products. Let me fill you in. :)

It was mentioned that original availability was set for April. This was never the case. The original target was late June and things were moving along quite well until....

2018 Electronic Parts Shortages

You can find other articles regarding this problem. It is worldwide and affects nearly everyone in the electronics business from automotive suppliers to consumer electronics. And it affected these MP products.

Without going into great detail, an enormous amount of work had to be directed to finding substitutes for many of the parts. I know this because no part can be substituted without my approval. Inventories were dropping like stones every day. Suppliers were not able to keep up with demand.

Since a lot of subs were necessary, it was decided to take the time to get every single substitute part right and, in turn, accept the delay this would cause.

All of this has been solved and all parts acquired with, of course, a new schedule. We are not the only ones in this particular boat, as you can see from the article. :)

I just thought you all might be interested to know the real reasons for the delays.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #110 of 5,150
(Meant to post this here)

Hey folks, I've noticed the comments about the delays on the Monoprice products. Let me fill you in. :)

It was mentioned that original availability was set for April. This was never the case. The original target was late June and things were moving along quite well until....

2018 Electronic Parts Shortages

You can find other articles regarding this problem. It is worldwide and affects nearly everyone in the electronics business from automotive suppliers to consumer electronics. And it affected these MP products.

Without going into great detail, an enormous amount of work had to be directed to finding substitutes for many of the parts. I know this because no part can be substituted without my approval. Inventories were dropping like stones every day. Suppliers were not able to keep up with demand.

Since a lot of subs were necessary, it was decided to take the time to get every single substitute part right and, in turn, accept the delay this would cause.

All of this has been solved and all parts acquired with, of course, a new schedule. We are not the only ones in this particular boat, as you can see from the article. :)

I just thought you all might be interested to know the real reasons for the delays.

Excellent update. Very informative. Thanks @runeight

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #111 of 5,150
Without going into great detail, an enormous amount of work had to be directed to finding substitutes for many of the parts. I know this because no part can be substituted without my approval.

Excellent! Well, not the additional workload for you and the Monoprice staff of course, but knowing that the Cavalli-branded amps will have components that are selected and approved by you. The Cavalli magic is worth waiting for.

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #112 of 5,150
I hope this parts shortage doesn’t mean a compromise in terms of sound or build quality. I’m a bit more relaxed when it comes to the massdrop collaborations. I’ve not really bought any Monoprice Monolith stuff yet.

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #113 of 5,150
I hope this parts shortage doesn’t mean a compromise in terms of sound or build quality. I’m a bit more relaxed when it comes to the massdrop collaborations. I’ve not really bought any Monoprice Monolith stuff yet.
Since Alex Cavalli is deeply involved (and needs to approve ANY change) - I am 100% sure there is no sound compromise!

Jun 18, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #114 of 5,150

Well....this was largely the point of taking the schedule hit. To ensure that we had the time needed to find equal or better subs from known, reputable manufacturers. I think we're good. :)

Jun 18, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #115 of 5,150
Well....this was largely the point of taking the schedule hit. To ensure that we had the time needed to find equal or better subs from known, reputable manufacturers. I think we're good. :)

Very happy to hear that you feel like the substitutions will be on par or better than the original specs. Might be too early to tell, and I suppose I should be asking MP this instead, but should we be open to the possibility of a price change as well?

Tbh, I hear about a parts shortage, (and of course it's almost impossible not to hear something about the impeding trade fiasco between the US and China) and I get a little freaked out about my favorite electronics hobby imploding. Thank you for talking me down!

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #118 of 5,150
Thanks for the update . Is October firm?
Alex is (as many would testify, based on his designs) a magician. Not a prophet... :wink:

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #120 of 5,150
Does anyone know how the Liquid Crimson compares in sound quality to the Little Dot tube amps (MKVI or MKVIII SE ?)... I am already committed to getting the Liquid Platinum, when it comes out, but I just saw the Little Dots on Massdrop and that made me somewhat curious. One thing to consider is that, I am already biased against the Little Dot offerings because I suspect they might require a lot of Tube rolling to bring out their best, and I have neither the patience, the time, nor the money to experiment with too many tubes. In theory, at least, I prefer the idea of the Liquid Platinum/Liquid Crimson hybrid topology which will not require much tube rolling, if any at all. Besides, I already have the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which I love so I am looking at the Liquid Platinum/Crimson as an upgrade or enhancement of a house sound that I already know and enjoy, whereas I have no familiarity at all with the sound of the Little Dots. Still I am normally open to trying new things, and if the Little Dot MKVIII SE, say, has something special about its SQ that competes favorably with that of the Liquid Crimson, I would like to know it, which is why I am asking.

Any helpful related thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back