Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
May 29, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #77 of 5,150
When will it be released??

June 26 2018 according to Monoprice.

I believe the output impedance is <1 ohm. What are you trying to pair with it? I may have already tried something similar.

The Auteur and a Focal Clear mostly, although I might sell the Clear and get a Elex instead, but the relaxed midrange and treble on the Liquid Platinum might help out with the slight edginess and brightness of the Clear.

May 29, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #78 of 5,150
Have you heard it with the Utopia? Although you no longer have the Liquid Carbon, how would you compare the Platinum to it?

I have heard the Liquid Crimson with the Utopia, but not the Platinum. Synergy with the Crimson was among the best I have heard, for sure (see impressions here). The Platinum probably sounds pretty similar, but without plugging the actual headphone into the actual amp, it’s hard to say. Mind you, my Crimson had a $400 power cable running into a heavily Class-A biased onboard power supply housed inside a larger chassis that can sink more heat - so there are going to be inherent differences because of that vs. an offboard SMPs and less Class-A bias. Still, I don’t believe the Utopia draws a great deal of power, so the results aren’t going to be night and day different. Just trying to be totally upfront and thorough in my answer for you there.

I haven’t compared head to head with the Carbon. From memory (so take it with a grain of salt), Platinum should have more bass impact, resolution and tightness. More neutral/balanced midrange body - less laid back/slightly dark like the Carbon. More open and energetic treble with slightly more command / control. The stage is also a little more big/open/immersive with slightly more tubey holographic depth. Overall, I would say it’s more forward and hard rocking and engaging vs. the Carbon, which is just a little more laid back.

May 29, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #79 of 5,150
June 26 2018 according to Monoprice.

The Auteur and a Focal Clear mostly, although I might sell the Clear and get a Elex instead, but the relaxed midrange and treble on the Liquid Platinum might help out with the slight edginess and brightness of the Clear.
The consensus seems elex is brighter than clear.

May 29, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #80 of 5,150
I have heard the Liquid Crimson with the Utopia, but not the Platinum. Synergy with the Crimson was among the best I have heard, for sure (see impressions here). The Platinum probably sounds pretty similar, but without plugging the actual headphone into the actual amp, it’s hard to say. Mind you, my Crimson had a $400 power cable running into a heavily Class-A biased onboard power supply housed inside a larger chassis that can sink more heat - so there are going to be inherent differences because of that vs. an offboard SMPs and less Class-A bias. Still, I don’t believe the Utopia draws a great deal of power, so the results aren’t going to be night and day different. Just trying to be totally upfront and thorough in my answer for you there.

I haven’t compared head to head with the Carbon. From memory (so take it with a grain of salt), Platinum should have more bass impact, resolution and tightness. More neutral/balanced midrange body - less laid back/slightly dark like the Carbon. More open and energetic treble with slightly more command / control. The stage is also a little more big/open/immersive with slightly more tubey holographic depth. Overall, I would say it’s more forward and hard rocking and engaging vs. the Carbon, which is just a little more laid back.

I'm planning to combo with my LCD-X. What do you guys think?

May 29, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #81 of 5,150
I'm planning to combo with my LCD-X. What do you guys think?

I would think it would be a good match. I listened to the Platinum with the HE-500 quite a bit while I had it in house, and it was one of my favorite combos. Both sort of fall into that slightly-hard-to-drive, neutralish but punchy planar category.

I’ve also hear the LCD-X with the Crimson and it was really nice... based on those two factors, it’s probably a good match.

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #82 of 5,150
Subbed to this, but just a quick couple questions...

I thought Alex retired for his grandkids, so did he sell his designs to Massdrop and Monolith or is he working with them on like kind of a freelance basis? Anybody have any information on this?

On another note, a used Carbon just came up on my local market for cheaps like 470USD, wondering whether I should go for them or wait out for the Plats, or should I consider a new CTH instead. Thanks!

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #84 of 5,150
Cavalli was definitely involved in the design of the Massdrop products bearing his name (though I obviously don't actually know, I get the impression that his involvement was pretty major, especially on the CTH) and he even made some appearances on the Massdrop forums discussing the design. I don't know about his involvement with the Monoprice Liquid Platinum, but I suspect it is similar.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #85 of 5,150
Cavalli was definitely involved in the design of the Massdrop products bearing his name (though I obviously don't actually know, I get the impression that his involvement was pretty major, especially on the CTH) and he even made some appearances on the Massdrop forums discussing the design. I don't know about his involvement with the Monoprice Liquid Platinum, but I suspect it is similar.

He’s been very involved with the process - all the prototypes, part picking, etc. Monoprice then has to source said parts, assemble units and distribute. It is very much Alex’s design, through and through - Monoprice just has to put them together and get them in your hands.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #86 of 5,150
He’s been very involved with the process - all the prototypes, part picking, etc. Monoprice then has to source said parts, assemble units and distribute. It is very much Alex’s design, through and through - Monoprice just has to put them together and get them in your hands.
Which is great for us customers. Lower price of entry

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #89 of 5,150

That is great to hear. I thought I won’t ever have a chance to buy his products brand new following his retirement (because I could not afford them back when he was with Cavalli) but I guess as of now with Mono stepping in... We all can afford some good cavallis.

Btw, how does mono drive the price down so hard though? From a $499 portable amp to a $99 desktop one? Like just how... Did they move production to china or some sort like that

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #90 of 5,150
That is great to hear. I thought I won’t ever have a chance to buy his products brand new following his retirement (because I could not afford them back when he was with Cavalli) but I guess as of now with Mono stepping in... We all can afford some good cavallis.

Btw, how does mono drive the price down so hard though? From a $499 portable amp to a $99 desktop one? Like just how... Did they move production to china or some sort like that

Everything MP sells that’s their own brand is made in China. I’m also imagining the markup is significantly less since MP is a large retailer and not a boutique audiophile brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back