Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #391 of 5,150
Hey guys, I'd like to answer a Q that is occasionally lately asked about this amp and others that have been available through MD and now MP. I addressed this really early in the CTH conversation, but maybe a good time to repeat it.

The Cavalli amps coming through MP, including this one, are exclusively my designs. As you have read here, this particular amp was shown at CanJam SoCal two years ago. I do all the prototyping until the product is ready for production. The final boards are my design and all of the electronic components are specified by me. Mechanical components are approved by me. No subs are allowed without my approval. This means that the electronic comps are from dependable, commercial quality vendors like Vishay, Panasonic, Nichicon, KOA, Susumu, Bourns, OnSemi, Infineon, etc. Subs are always made from manufacturers like these. I have never believed it is necessary to use expensive boutique comps to make really good amps, but I do believe that you must use basic, excellent quality comps from reputable manufacturers.

Monolith/Monoprice is, of course, doing the distribution as a line of Cavalli products. I will be equally involved in anything beyond the Spark and Platinum if that were to ever occur. The designs that have hit the streets so far are things that I was working on when CA was closed and were fairly straightforward to make available through other channels.

I think that most everyone here has figured this out, but perhaps a few haven't and I thought maybe worth repeating.

Also, I have this idea to write a few posts on how it was possible to engineer a very big and expensive, singled ended Liquid Crimson into an affordable, fully balanced version of the same amp now known as Liquid Platinum. You guys please let me know if this would be of interest on this thread.

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #392 of 5,150
Hey guys, I'd like to answer a Q that is occasionally lately asked about this amp and others that have been available through MD and now MP. I addressed this really early in the CTH conversation, but maybe a good time to repeat it.

The Cavalli amps coming through MP, including this one, are exclusively my designs. As you have read here, this particular amp was shown at CanJam SoCal two years ago. I do all the prototyping until the product is ready for production. The final boards are my design and all of the electronic components are specified by me. Mechanical components are approved by me. No subs are allowed without my approval. This means that the electronic comps are from dependable, commercial quality vendors like Vishay, Panasonic, Nichicon, KOA, Susumu, Bourns, OnSemi, Infineon, etc. Subs are always made from manufacturers like these. I have never believed it is necessary to use expensive boutique comps to make really good amps, but I do believe that you must use basic, excellent quality comps from reputable manufacturers.

Monolith/Monoprice is, of course, doing the distribution as a line of Cavalli products. I will be equally involved in anything beyond the Spark and Platinum if that were to ever occur. The designs that have hit the streets so far are things that I was working on when CA was closed and were fairly straightforward to make available through other channels.

I think that most everyone here has figured this out, but perhaps a few haven't and I thought maybe worth repeating.

Also, I have this idea to write a few posts on how it was possible to engineer a very big and expensive, singled ended Liquid Crimson into an affordable, fully balanced version of the same amp now known as Liquid Platinum. You guys please let me know if this would be of interest on this thread.
I think that would be interesting and would generate a great deal of thoughtful exchange!!

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #393 of 5,150
It would be!

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #395 of 5,150

Please do contribute to this thread with how you came up with the idea to go from the Liquid Crimson to the Liquid Platinum. I’m a big geek for things like this and love to read Jason Stoddard’s posts as well on concept to live product.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #396 of 5,150

runeight, from a teaching/learning stand point, this would be GREAT!

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #397 of 5,150
I have this idea to write a few posts on how it was possible to engineer a very big and expensive, singled ended Liquid Crimson into an affordable, fully balanced version of the same amp now known as Liquid Platinum. You guys please let me know if this would be of interest on this thread.

@runeight : These posts would be of considerable interest to me personally, but I'm also guessing that many others would be interested as well. I'm particularly interested in how the power supply section of the Crimson compares with that of the Platinum, and to what extent using an external LPS with the Platinum might (or might not) bring sound quality enhancements to the table.

Bottomline : I find this gesture (not to mention your continued involvement in discussions on this thread) to be very generous and thoughtful. Thanks.

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #398 of 5,150
Hi guys,

As I'm totally not able to test this (living in Africa), could somebody tell me if this is a good purchase regarding an FOCAL CLEAR headphone connected as balanced?
Would be very helpful.
Thx a lot.

Hey @Obieworld , I don't think you can go wrong with a Cavalli amp in general, but the Platinum appears to be a particularly nice piece of machinery. I am betting it will make your Focal Clear sing like a Muse in Abidjan or anywhere else on the planet:)

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #399 of 5,150

Please do !

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #400 of 5,150
Hi guys,

As I'm totally not able to test this (living in Africa), could somebody tell me if this is a good purchase regarding an FOCAL CLEAR headphone connected as balanced?
Would be very helpful.
Thx a lot.

I would think these two would be great together, as the Utopia and Crimson were one of the BEST synergistic combos I’ve ever heard.

Utopia is a little more forward in the upper mid with less bass than Clear. Platinum stock is a little more forward in the upper mid with a little less bass than Crimson (with the tube roll I was using)... so overall sound balance should be very, very similar.

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #401 of 5,150

Do eeeet!!

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #402 of 5,150

I believe this would be greatly interesting to read. The LC is legendary in many respects, and to "see" how it was improved upon and made more affordable for people with shallower pockets would be a boon.

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #404 of 5,150

I think I speak for everyone when I say that would be GOLDen. *cAugh* *cAugh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back