Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 24, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #3,736 of 5,150
I'm having trouble finding it in this thread, I know it's there, but... does anyone have a list of the required caps to mod the LP? After cutting my teeth on a Darkvoice and then a BHC I'm itching to give it a try.

Or should I just stop being lazy, crack it open and look for myself?

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #3,737 of 5,150
I'm having trouble finding it in this thread, I know it's there, but... does anyone have a list of the required caps to mod the LP? After cutting my teeth on a Darkvoice and then a BHC I'm itching to give it a try.

Open it up it's more fun that way. And remember, new caps only need to match the capacitance value exactly. Temp rating can be higher (but not lower) than stock.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #3,738 of 5,150

Here's a few posts below. From what I gathered, most used Elna Silmic II caps except the cap for the XLR:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...platinum-by-alex-cavalli.876406/post-15760274
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...platinum-by-alex-cavalli.876406/post-15976045

On another forum, other cap brands were used:

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/monolith-liquid-platinum/9820/536
https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/monolith-liquid-platinum/9820/674

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #3,739 of 5,150
Thanks y'all! I'll probably toss a new pot in there while I'm at it, have some 20k stepped attenuators lying around that should be a nice upgrade.

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #3,740 of 5,150
Open it up it's more fun that way. And remember, new caps only need to match the capacitance value exactly. Temp rating can be higher (but not lower) than stock.
...open it up....it’s the only way...😜

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #3,742 of 5,150
Thanks y'all! I'll probably toss a new pot in there while I'm at it, have some 20k stepped attenuators lying around that should be a nice upgrade.
I'll be really curious to see you swap the pot. We did it last year over the summer with an Alps rk27 pot. Required some significant plate modifications.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #3,743 of 5,150
I'll be really curious to see you swap the pot. We did it last year over the summer with an Alps rk27 pot. Required some significant plate modifications.
Was it a problem of depth? I know the rk27 well and thought I was gonna need a crowbar and a sledge to get one into my Darkvoice. Those little Dact-style attenuators on eBay are tiny in comparison so might be less of a fight.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #3,744 of 5,150
Was it a problem of depth? I know the rk27 well and thought I was gonna need a crowbar and a sledge to get one into my Darkvoice. Those little Dact-style attenuators on eBay are tiny in comparison so might be less of a fight.
Overall size problem. The Alps had to be wired in laying on it's side due to the height restrictions from board to chassis , resulting in the plate having to be drilled out 1 inch left and a quarter inch up. Then the process of filling in the old hole and putting a new finish on it. Here's what mine looked like after the plate mod.
20210424_212753.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #3,745 of 5,150
Overall size problem. The Alps had to be wired in laying on it's side due to the height restrictions from board to chassis , resulting in the plate having to be drilled out 1 inch left and a quarter inch up. Then the process of filling in the old hole and putting a new finish on it. Here's what mine looked like after the plate mod.
Interesting. I just used a Dremel to take off that little locking post on the pot and made sure to throw a locking washer on it.

Edit: I'm a little high and misunderstood your post which is why my response doesn't actually make total sense

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #3,746 of 5,150
Interesting. I just used a Dremel to take off that little locking post on the pot and made sure to throw a locking washer on it.

Edit: I'm a little high and misunderstood your post which is why my response doesn't actually make total sense
I'm on the same boat and had to check my post to make sure it was competent 😂😂😂😂😂

:beerchug:

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #3,749 of 5,150
I'm on the same boat and had to check my post to make sure it was competent 😂😂😂😂😂

:beerchug:

Also jammin to this on Tidal.

Hey guys, be kind and identify what "substances" you're imbibing (or inhaling) on this Liquid Platinum boat. No way I am being left out. I want in on the party :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

sparkling-hemingway.gif

Weed_Infused_Whiskey_HeroFinal_699x460.gif

5c877f9939ccc26717be730e75f8e290.gif

So I'm definitely having what you guys are having, so name the brew or cocktail or whatever's inside the pipe :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #3,750 of 5,150
Hey guys, be kind and identify what "substances" you're imbibing (or inhaling) on this Liquid Platinum boat. No way I am being left out. I want in on the party :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

sparkling-hemingway.gif

Weed_Infused_Whiskey_HeroFinal_699x460.gif

5c877f9939ccc26717be730e75f8e290.gif

So I'm definitely having what you guys are having, so name the brew or cocktail or whatever's inside the pipe :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses:
Bombay sapphire gin with ruby red grapefruit juice, and purple og. 👌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back