Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 27, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #2,702 of 5,150
Rock solid! The LCD-4 sings like a beautiful peacock on the LP, which knows how to make the 4 sing, with all the various lights and shades of its dark gravitas : well extended, and textured lows, thick creamy stately mids, all crowned by spacious, airy details. I see no down sides at all, in the set up I've described. Of course, other links in the chain of components would matter as well as usual, including the types of music you listen to, although the combo does well with all types of music I throw at it. Still, I tend to think that, because the LCD-4 already hits hard and deep in the low end, it might probably not be ideal using tubes for it that emphasize the low end too much, because things might go overboard a little bit, unless of course, one is an unrepentant no holds barred bass head, in which case all bets are off any way.
Hmm sounds like a winner! I might pic one up, the price compared to all the others iv been looking at is a major bonus! I think the would be a good fit. And I can’t deny I’m def a bass head.. might finally satisfy my sub bass cravings:L3000:

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #2,703 of 5,150
I got a pair of new Amperex tubes delivered today,
AMPEREX PQ A-Frame 6DJ8 / ECC88 .

Sounding very detailed and lush.
Definitely recommend it to anyone looking for new tubes.
The Soundstage is so precise, one can exactly pin point where an instrument is. eg: 1 mt behind or 2 mts behind.
The separation between instruments is a little too much, people who like cohesive music might not like it.
The bass hits really hard treble is detailed without being grainy.
The sound is on the warmer side of neutral.

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #2,704 of 5,150
The price of the amp just dropped to $550. Im about to purchase it. But Im still debating between this one and lyr3.
Where you guys usually buy tubes in the US ? I've never done that before, so I don't know any good places to do that. I saw upscaleaufio has alot of tubes. Should I buy on that site ?

Screenshot_20200427-083632_Chrome.jpg

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #2,705 of 5,150
The price of the amp just dropped to $550. Im about to purchase it. But Im still debating between this one and lyr3.
Where you guys usually buy tubes in the US ? I've never done that before, so I don't know any good places to do that. I saw upscaleaufio has alot of tubes. Should I buy on that site ?

Is that per tube? There's an Ebay seller named ap1278 that I trust, all ballpark testing number vs my tester.
Cool guy, ask for a matched pair of "D-getter Heerlen ECC88, good testing." I found these tubes superior to ECC88 O-getter later years. D getter are almost always 1950's vintage.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #2,706 of 5,150

That sucks as I just bought it two weeks ago.
I went to pay the bill today and then realized how badly the Canadian dollar has slid.

On the upside, I LOVE this amp!

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #2,707 of 5,150
That sucks as I just bought it two weeks ago.
I went to pay the bill today and then realized how badly the Canadian dollar has slid.

On the upside, I LOVE this amp!
Focus on the upside ... focus on the positive ... you love this amp ... repeat after me .. focus on ... :)

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,710 of 5,150
That's the seller and tube, that tube is not strong testing wise, don't see any matched pair D getters in his listing. You should send him a message through Ebay.
Everytime, I have inquired about a tube with that seller, he has been able to find a pair. I have bought well over 20 pairs of tubes from this seller, without any issues at all. I highly recommend the ebay seller named ap1278 and his tubes.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #2,711 of 5,150
That's the seller and tube, that tube is not strong testing wise, don't see any matched pair D getters in his listing. You should send him a message through Ebay.
I just sent him a message to ask about that. How that tube sounds ? I think @Wes S recommened that tube to me.
Btw I just order a LP. Hope it pairs well with my topping d90.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #2,715 of 5,150
I just sent him a message to ask about that. How that tube sounds ? I think @Wes S recommened that tube to me.
Btw I just order a LP. Hope it pairs well with my topping d90.
Suck at describing tubes, it's a Heerlen house sound. Better off looking at this page. It describes the various point of origin house sound.

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back