Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 25, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #2,686 of 5,150
Have a question/concern that you guys may be able to clear up for me.

One of the common themes mentioned throughout the thread was the output power of this amp. Some were using preamps to help with the volume levels.
I'll be running a pair of Focal Clear pros with the LP which are very sensitive with a 55ohm impedance. Anyone else using the Clears with this amp? Should I get a preamp to use with it?
I don't use a preamp with mine and don't have any issues with channel imbalance anywhere, on my 3rd unit. Seems some of the first units made had channel imbalance issues, but now that I am on my 3rd unit that I just got, those issues are completely gone. Therefore, I can use a wider range of headphones, because I can start much lower on the dial on the pot. I would just try it without a preamp first.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #2,687 of 5,150
I don't have experience with the Sys, but haven't heard bad things about it and I imagine it will be fine. You might try the Airist without a preamp though. With half the voltage, power is 4X lower as power changes with the square of voltage. So that's 6 dB quieter for at the same volume setting given 2V input voltage instead of 4V. I can actually test this at home, as both my DACs have SE output which is 2V vs 4V for their balanced outputs. I'd compare 'comfortable' volume settings for the two inputs.

BTW, note that the preamp I'm using has 2 balanced inputs and 1 SE inputs, but only has balanced output. It's passive also, so when I turn it 'all the way up' volume is the same as if the preamp weren't in the system.
@runeight has said that whether you are using balanced (4v) in or se (2v) in from your dac, the volume will be the same, as the se 2v is being doubled while being converted to balanced to equal 4v by the input of the amp. So whether you are using se or balanced inputs, you get similar results with volume control. Now, with the outputs on the amp, balanced is clearly the way to go.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #2,688 of 5,150
I have also never used any preamp with the LP, and have never experienced any issues with channel imbalance or noise. And I use all my cans on the LP, from the relatively easier to drive ones, such as LCDi4 and Hifiman HeKse to the harder to drive 200 Ohm version of the LCD-4. The LP Rocks them all, and rocks them flawlessly too. The attached DAC is the Metrum Acoustics Onyx, and I am also using Metrum Acoustics Ambre as Streamer/Roon endpoint.

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #2,689 of 5,150
Has your LP arrived???

You must be psychic! I checked my tracking today and it arrived in Halifax around the time you posted that message. :thumbsup:

Hopefully I will get it on Monday.

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,690 of 5,150
@runeight has said that whether you are using balanced (4v) in or se (2v) in from your dac, the volume will be the same, as the se 2v is being doubled while being converted to balanced to equal 4v by the input of the amp. So whether you are using se or balanced inputs, you get similar results with volume control. Now, with the outputs on the amp, balanced is clearly the way to go.
Ah. So my experimental desIgn was flawed — in my set-up I was converting from SE to balanced in my preamp and just using the balanced input on the amp. Doh!

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #2,691 of 5,150
@runeight has said that whether you are using balanced (4v) in or se (2v) in from your dac, the volume will be the same, as the se 2v is being doubled while being converted to balanced to equal 4v by the input of the amp. So whether you are using se or balanced inputs, you get similar results with volume control...
Correct. I tested Gumby SE output direct into the LP SE input compared to Gumby balanced out to LP balanced in. Volume was eye-dentical (nod to My Cousin Vinny).

I edited my previous post.

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2,692 of 5,150
I have also never used any preamp with the LP, and have never experienced any issues with channel imbalance or noise. And I use all my cans on the LP, from the relatively easier to drive ones, such as LCDi4 and Hifiman HeKse to the harder to drive 200 Ohm version of the LCD-4. The LP Rocks them all, and rocks them flawlessly too. The attached DAC is the Metrum Acoustics Onyx, and I am also using Metrum Acoustics Ambre as Streamer/Roon endpoint.
How do the lcd4 sound on the LP? Iv been looking into a tube amp or hybrid for mine and the LP looks like a good option at a fraction of the price of the other I’m looking at.

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #2,693 of 5,150
...I use all my cans on the LP, from the relatively easier to drive ones, such as LCDi4 and Hifiman HeKse...
HEKse doesn’t surprise me — I’ve listened to my KEKv2 w/ LP direct out of Gumby with no problems. But I’m surprised to see you mention the LCDi4. Unless the published spec is way off they are far more efficient than my Utopia (80 Ohms and 104 dB @ 1 mW for Utopia vs 32 Ohms and 110 dB @ 1 mW for LCDi4). LCDi4 via balanced out?

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #2,694 of 5,150
How do the lcd4 sound on the LP? Iv been looking into a tube amp or hybrid for mine and the LP looks like a good option at a fraction of the price of the other I’m looking at.

Rock solid! The LCD-4 sings like a beautiful peacock on the LP, which knows how to make the 4 sing, with all the various lights and shades of its dark gravitas : well extended, and textured lows, thick creamy stately mids, all crowned by spacious, airy details. I see no down sides at all, in the set up I've described. Of course, other links in the chain of components would matter as well as usual, including the types of music you listen to, although the combo does well with all types of music I throw at it. Still, I tend to think that, because the LCD-4 already hits hard and deep in the low end, it might probably not be ideal using tubes for it that emphasize the low end too much, because things might go overboard a little bit, unless of course, one is an unrepentant no holds barred bass head, in which case all bets are off any way.

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #2,695 of 5,150
HEKse doesn’t surprise me — I’ve listened to my KEKv2 w/ LP direct out of Gumby with no problems. But I’m surprised to see you mention the LCDi4. Unless the published spec is way off they are far more efficient than my Utopia (80 Ohms and 104 dB @ 1 mW for Utopia vs 32 Ohms and 110 dB @ 1 mW for LCDi4). LCDi4 via balanced out?
Well, don't be surprised. I just took them out to listen to them back to back with the LCD-4, on the LP, and I think I fell in love with them (The LCDi4s) all over again. For one thing, they sound so much like the LCD-4 that I can repeat everything I have said in the previous post here, word for word, and almost nothing would be off the mark. When I connected the i4 to the LP, I merely had to lower the volume dial by say 5-8 minutes to make it match the volume of the LCD-4. You haven't asked, but I just realized one surprising respect in which I might sometimes even enjoy the i4 better than the 4 itself, although it shouldn't really be surprising, since it resides in the in-ear sealing property of the i4, which the 4 does not have. I just noticed certain subtleties in the details of the music I listen to that I hear better with i4, than I do with the 4, again, this comes purely from the kind of in-ear seal I get with the i4. I mean the 4 is still the boss in gravitas and overall demeanor, but credit where credit is due. I hope what I am saying about the i4 doesn't take anything away from the LCD-4. Oh, and to say the obvious, the LCDi4 is also lighter, which comes with other kinds of advantages, especially, OTG advantages... but I wouldn't want to go off topic, so I'll stop here.

PS: I think I was mistaken about the -i4's in-ear seal advantage. I just realized that I was listening to the LCD-4 with a Duelund copper cable, and the -i4 with a Norne Draugur Silver when I did the previous comparison. It was the relatively superior Silver cable on the -i4 that was producing the higher perceptibility of those subtler details I mentioned. I just replaced the Duelund copper cable on the LCD-4 with the Norne Silvergarde S3, and any advantage the LCD-i4 seemed to have on the LCD-4 in the retrieval of subtle details has completely vanished. At least this goes to show, once again, why every link in the chain matters. Oh yes! And one more time : The LP is simply superb with the LCD-4, and in almost every way imaginable,

I have been particularly enjoying how it is resolving the music on Nik Bartsch Ronin _Awase_ album this very minute, but I can think of hundreds of other albums that would resolve in an equally flawless way : Of course being ECM well-recorded material also helps:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #2,699 of 5,150
I checked DHL and I expected them to deliver my amp on Monday. I get a call from my front door on Sunday morning and Canada Post is delivering my amp!
Still pretty cold though. :relaxed: 20200426_110402.jpg20200426_110414.jpg

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #2,700 of 5,150
Trying out the LP. Very nice. Not as clear as my tube amp, but the tube amp was far from crystal clear on its first day too.

Nice, full sound. Vocals sound right. With zero burn-in, stock tubes and my Elex everything is there and some nice bass.

Over the next week it will be all LP and I will throw all the headphones at it.

Fits in nicely too. :L3000:
20200426_155010_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back