Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Sep 21, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #226 of 5,150
This would be an absolute winner if they had a similar voicing to the MCTH with better technicalities

It has a lot of similarities. I would say it is a little warmer than the MCTH overall. It does have better technicalities for sure. When you go from the MCTH to the LP, it's like you're adding another whole layer onto the music.

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #227 of 5,150
My interest is how Platinum is crisp and clear like SS amps. I like Liquid Carbon X, it's crisp and clear, but a bit less dynamic than tube amps. If Platinum is crisp, clear and dynamic, it's my dream amp.

Dynamic relative to what? Tube amps vary greatly in terms of dynamics.

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #228 of 5,150
Dynamic relative to what? Tube amps vary greatly in terms of dynamics.
I guess that at a minimum, @humblesquad hopes it will be more dynamic than the LCX.

BTW, I've been poking around various tube amp options for a while. I'd really like to find an amp which pairs well with both Utopia and Auteur. Strongest recommendation I've gotten so far is for the Little Dot VI+. LD recommended that over the Mark 8 for Utopia due to impedance matching issues.

I'm hoping the LP will be a good pairing with both. Especially since it looks like I could easily blow up cost of the LD when I start tube rolling. Tube rolling in the LP looks to be less painful financially :)

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #229 of 5,150
Hey gents, I'd like to make a small, quick clarification.

The Platinum is not a "tube" amp. It is a tube/SS hybrid. So is the CTH.

The CTH is a classic type of hybrid with a tube front end coupled to SS power output through a coupling cap. The Platinum is an embedded hybrid where the tubes are embedded into the circuit with the SS devices. There are no coupling caps in the Platinum, it is DC coupled from input to output.

So, when I think about the different amps, I tend to make a distinction between a full tube amp with a tube output stage driving the headphones and a hybrid where the output is SS.

I have been doing embedded since forever. I like them bc I feel that they blend the best of what tubes do and what SS does. MHO, of course.

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #230 of 5,150
Hey gents, I'd like to make a small, quick clarification.

The Platinum is not a "tube" amp. It is a tube/SS hybrid. So is the CTH.

The CTH is a classic type of hybrid with a tube front end coupled to SS power output through a coupling cap. The Platinum is an embedded hybrid where the tubes are embedded into the circuit with the SS devices. There are no coupling caps in the Platinum, it is DC coupled from input to output.

So, when I think about the different amps, I tend to make a distinction between a full tube amp with a tube output stage driving the headphones and a hybrid where the output is SS.

I have been doing embedded since forever. I like them bc I feel that they blend the best of what tubes do and what SS does. MHO, of course.
Understood, and I appreciate the input. Same story with the Schiit MJ2 and many other 'Tube' amps. So I get that I'm not going to be comparing apples to apples when I discuss differences between (say) the LD VI+ and the LP. And that's fine with me as I try to sneak into the tube world.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #232 of 5,150
I have fallen in love with the system of Gumby>CTH(w/LPS)>HD650.
It'll be interesting to see how good the LP's synergy is with the Sennheiser HPs and whether the stock tubes end up being a keeper like the CTH.
Shame I won't see it at RMAF, but I look forward to reading the reviews!

Sep 26, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #235 of 5,150
It keeps trickling back, ETA 11/02/18 now.

Yes! In time for the Holloween party!!

hNBoIsG.png

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #236 of 5,150
Due date now 11/2.

At least that's a very small move. Suggests they're getting close.

Sep 26, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #238 of 5,150
Sep 26, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #239 of 5,150
I look forward to reading the reviews on this one. I'm not currently looking at getting another amp, and I can't be bothered to deal with tubes, but I do love my LCX. So, I'm fully on board with these Cavalli collabs on principle alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back