Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC
Mar 29, 2019 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Your favorite set of headphones, a castle in the sky, and the Monolith 124459.

Ahhhh.......life is good..... :)

And how does it sound?
Like it costs a lot more.

The gear itself looks like something made by Onkyo back in the '90s.
Its that black brushed aluminum style.... (Circuit City).

This gear has been around a few years, and didn't make a significant or impactful splash around here that im aware of, vs the Massdrop Amp Only similar 789 version that has been creating epiphanies according to most reviews.
I think this one could also, if you want to find out.

(Post purchase)...I was looking at the reviews on the Monoprice site and i think it has about 11 obo, and all are 5-Star but one which is a 4, and more then likely this buyer can't be satisfied unless they have paid over $15,000 USD, as for this type buyer, they have been led to believe that if it costs more, then it must be better.....and if is costs a whole lot more, then it must be the best.
(Welcome to Capitalism and the world of Marketing Hype)
Listen.... as a consumer, you are constantly being "leveled up" and being convinced that the "next" is always "better".
But here is the reality......when you fall into the black hole of ever chasing ...good <>better <>BEST, and you've let this become your main concern, you have to understand that to go from good to BEST, is a matter of inches/millimeters...tiny percentages, and subjective analysis, and the designers are going to make you PAY PAY PAY till you bleed to get to that last little taste of what they tell you is their end game sound.
Now there is one thing that is a 100% guarantee that you'll possess if you spend a fortune on music gear, and that is "Pride of Ownership".
Yep, you get bragging rights., if you want to pay for them.
Absolutely.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what does the Monolith get right?
Well, "sound".
It gets that right.
You could spend a lot more money and not get the Sound-Q this gear is able to produce.

Now, there are specs available, charts aplenty, info on the Dac, and complete reviews im sure, but i read none of them, and im not going to list all that here.
I think there are at least 2 Head-Fi Threads that discuss this gear that i noticed before posting this mini-analysis,, and im sure the charts and specs are all over those like magic mushrooms found in a dark wet forest.
I bought this amp-dac and never read a review before I purchased it based on Z-Reveiws (video) gushing-love of the M-789.
I can't speak for that product, but i can say that this one could only mildly disappoint you if you are a fan of dry analytical surgical sterile frequency response. (DASSFR) As in that case, this gear wont supply it.
But if you feel that $500 USD is within your means to own the Monolith 12449, then expect upon arrival into your ears a smooth, lush, detailed sound, with a little extra something being done to the soundstage that allows for more depth and width.
There is something buttery and finessed and magical going on within the sound that this little black box is dialing up.
Comfort level inside your head is a 9.

Now for one caveat..... I have a brand new MSI Gaming (Windows 10) LT GP63-041 and it will not work with this gear.
My Mac of course worked instantly.
So, that's your heads up.
-
-
-
R0000089.JPG

-
R0000091.JPG

-
R0000093.JPG

-
R0000094.JPG

-
R0000095.JPG

-

R0000096.JPG

-
R0000097.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 10
Interesting as always, @FullBright1,

Sadly Monoproce shipping to where I am is kind of ridiculous, especially after exchange rate so sadly like the Monoprice Cavalli amps, I will have to pass till the exchange rate gets better for me.

But good to know it is worth looking at.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 10
"Now, there are specs available, charts aplenty, info on the Dac, and complete reviews im sure, but i read none of them, and im not going to list all that here."

You're wrong about that actually, there's barely any information about it. Had to buy mine blind too and it's probably last dac or amp I'm gonna buy.

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 10
"Now, there are specs available, charts aplenty, info on the Dac, and complete reviews im sure, but i read none of them, and im not going to list all that here."

You're wrong about that actually, there's barely any information about it. Had to buy mine blind too and it's probably last dac or amp I'm gonna buy.

Actually there are 2 Threads here on the forum that talk about this gear.
You just have to find them .....:)

Here is one for you.
The other is available if you want to find it....(use the search box).
-
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...-thx-amp-dac-24459-impressions-thread.860046/

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Nice detailed review thanks for sharing

Thx.
Not really a detailed review, as this gear has a lot of features..
It has parametric EQ settings, and all sorts of goodies like this....but, i posted it because it sounds really good.
I appreciate that it has a lot of options, settings, but, for me, ... "how does it sound", as if it does not sound really good, then nothing else matters.
Some of course need all the bells and whistles and settings and options to tweak, but i just want a volume control, a headphone out, and for the gear to sound good.
I have discovered that if i have too many options, i get nothing done, as its very easy to just sit and change settings and change settings and change settings and get lost in this ....................>.
So, Its all about the sound, and nothing else really matters to me other then comfort or perhaps user-friendliness......:)
However, if you like to play with settings then there is a lot here to enjoy, as WELL as audiophile sound.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 10
Apr 6, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 10
If your issue is driver related: there's a (Win 7 compatible) XMOS driver listed on the main product page, under "Support files". Worked for my Win 10 Pro laptop

https://downloads.monoprice.com/files/drivers/24459_Drivers_Win_v4.13.0_190131.zip

Yes, thank you.
I did download this, but have not tried to work with it..
Instead i just plugged into my Mac and that was the end of the issue:
Great sounding Dac/Amp.
I prefer it's sound to my Grace M900 and my Rupert Neve RNHP, and both of those are fantastic.

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 10
Were you listening balanced or SE? It's interesting you call it "lush" and "smooth" and not "analytical" and "sterile". (Interesting because THX gets called analytical a lot.) Can you elaborate?

May 29, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 10
I know this is old….

But, I agree with the lush and smooth opinion. Based on reviews I expected to hear analytical and sterile, that’s not what I hear. Still, it’s based on what you have connected. But I am glad it’s not analytical and sterile sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back