Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #587 of 841
Have an ESS DAC previously?

I was using my samsung s9+, fiio btr3, fiio A5 and ifi micro BL.

The monolith thx is the only one smoothed the treble for these headphones.

Jul 27, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #588 of 841
Have an ESS DAC previously?

That's quite a generalization. The one component that I have which has dual ESS DACs is my SMSL DP3 music player. I output its digital to my Benchmark DAC (which I can then output balanced). Just listening to its headphone out, I find it quite muddy and far from "bright". As to the Monolith taming siblance, from the list of portable devices, I believe it could be that you're just seeing a difference with a solid desktop amp. Your headphones aren't hard to drive, but with the better amp/impedance/etc...I think you might get better range (more FR extension).

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #590 of 841
Absolutley it is and why I posited as a question so to glean if it might relate to the stereotype. ; )

Likely just impedance matching diffs in the gain stage tweaking ~6kish.

Fair enough:) I've just noticed the trend on this forum is anything bright, must be ESS DAC. While I think actual DAC chip is the least common denominator, there's always synergy with whole setup.

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #591 of 841
Although I didn’t hear the same THX magic as the 789, I was surprised at how good the Monoprice 788 is as an all-in-one.
Dirac feature was garbage but parametric eq was tastefully responsive and clean.
For those sick of cheap treble harsh ESS dac based units, in the $400-450 price I can wholeheartedly recommend this device.

03B2483E-1858-4BB8-8D2F-16AF68D62DAF.jpeg

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #595 of 841
I picked one of these up to clean up my desk setup (wanted an all in one solution that could drive any cans I bring with me). Loving it overall, have driven 800s/Auteur/HD 6XX/HD 600/Porta Pros/Massdrop Plus IEMS on it and all have sounded great out of it (have to use ieMatch with the IEMS though).

One nagging issue I have found though is it seems incredibly susceptible to interference. Anytime I bring my cell phone anywhere near it I get feedback. Anyone else run into this issue? Just want to make sure there is not something wrong with my unit.

I additionally get some wonky behavior (distortion, clicks, etc) when running it in exclusive mode, where I have to restart my player, but I chalk this up to my garbage work computer.

Aug 15, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #596 of 841
I picked one of these up to clean up my desk setup (wanted an all in one solution that could drive any cans I bring with me). Loving it overall, have driven 800s/Auteur/HD 6XX/HD 600/Porta Pros/Massdrop Plus IEMS on it and all have sounded great out of it (have to use ieMatch with the IEMS though).

One nagging issue I have found though is it seems incredibly susceptible to interference. Anytime I bring my cell phone anywhere near it I get feedback. Anyone else run into this issue? Just want to make sure there is not something wrong with my unit.

I additionally get some wonky behavior (distortion, clicks, etc) when running it in exclusive mode, where I have to restart my player, but I chalk this up to my garbage work computer.
Clicks from USB 5v bus is normal if your motherboard is crappy, this can be fixed with a solid DAC. For your interference issue, Electromag is a thing. I'm an EE. Yeah don't that.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #597 of 841
Can I use the XLR headphone output as a balanced output for a different amp? since it does not have XLR out in the back.

Aug 22, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #599 of 841
Yup, set to 0dB gain. It is possible to rewire the rear XLR3 inputs as outputs if so inclined.

thanks a lot!
stupid design if you ask me, why the **** there is no balanced out with a fully balanced dac/amp and have a balanced-in instead that will be converted to digital again xD like What Monoprice?

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #600 of 841
Current DAC / Amp: Schiit Bifrost 4490 and Lyr 2 (stock tubes)
Headphones: LCD-2, HD6XX and HE-500
Testing only in single-ended (non-balanced)
Matched volume output using a dB meter app and constant pink noise playback. It's not ideal but its good enough.
Firmware v1.03

So far I've only used the LCD-2 for listening and put in a few hours with both setups. I currently prefer my Schiit stack.

On paper the Monolith Desktop would be a nice sidegrade/upgrade for me. Takes less space, less heat, balanced option, and EQ option. I have noticed that some songs have harsh notes, that I haven't experienced on the Schiit stack. I'll have to test it the other headphones later. I'll probably end up reselling this unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back