Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
May 6, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #557 of 841
Good question they are very similar in price and features, the D5 has built in psu (plus in my book) XLR outs, i2s inputs and I believe a remote.

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #561 of 841
Just got mine today...

Love it, but, I'm hearing a static-electric discharge sound (i.e., crackling) coming though only when sounds are playing. Updated the firmware and driver...Swapped cables and headphones...all the same.

I wanted to point it out in case anyone ever has a similar issue. I’m going to try non-USB inputs and USB on another computer just in case it’s some kind of usb-power issue...

EDIT: Ha, looks like it was the USB extension cable I was using. Remember folks, cables matter!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #562 of 841
Just got mine today...

Love it, but, I'm hearing a static-electric discharge sound (i.e., crackling) coming though only when sounds are playing. Updated the firmware and driver...Swapped cables and headphones...all the same.

I wanted to point it out in case anyone ever has a similar issue. I’m going to try non-USB inputs and USB on another computer just in case it’s some kind of usb-power issue...

EDIT: Ha, looks like it was the USB extension cable I was using. Remember folks, cables matter!

I also have the same problem, but I found that the TOSLINK port I was using is very poor. So I'm actually going to have to ask for a replacement... anyone know if their customer service has given replacements in the past?

EDIT: Also IceAero, how does it compare to your 789? Any real sonic differences?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #563 of 841
EDIT: Also IceAero, how does it compare to your 789? Any real sonic differences?

I can't say unfortunately. I'm using the 788's internal DAC at work, and my Gumby at home. I would think that differences would be more from the different DACs than the different amps.

Jun 22, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #564 of 841
Has anyone used this with a tube amp? I got a dark voice yesterday and I've been using the THX 788 has a DAC and pre amp and it really adds a layer of sound stage, space and imaging that I found really enjoyable.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #565 of 841
Has anyone used this with a tube amp? I got a dark voice yesterday and I've been using the THX 788 has a DAC and pre amp and it really adds a layer of sound stage, space and imaging that I found really enjoyable.

Welcome to tube rolling: finding that holy grail tube that gives you maximum soundstage and keeping detail:gs1000smile:

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #568 of 841
I just ordered the Tung-Sol 6SN7 per someone’s suggestion

Which version, the new Russian 6SN7GTB, NOS GTB, or old GT? I've found I also love the Tung-Sol sound with my Single Power...and have tried all 3. Many folks say the GT is the best, but with some headphones it can have too recessed mids. I think the NOS GTB is the best all around, and the new Russian one has some similar signature with more mids. My Single Power is all Tung-Sol: great balance.

Jun 23, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #569 of 841
Which version, the new Russian 6SN7GTB, NOS GTB, or old GT? I've found I also love the Tung-Sol sound with my Single Power...and have tried all 3. Many folks say the GT is the best, but with some headphones it can have too recessed mids. I think the NOS GTB is the best all around, and the new Russian one has some similar signature with more mids. My Single Power is all Tung-Sol: great balance.
GTB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back