Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #498 of 841
I see the 789 is back at mass drop but I think the 788 is a better value. Figures it comes back the day after I buy the 788.

They bumped the price up to $400 and the estimated ship date (for this pre-order) is August 30th.

This puts the Monolith THX 788 (at it's current sale price, until April 21st) within $50

I was going to join the drop and get the 788 for home but then remembered that Monoprice was going to release a new version of the 788 next year and I'd rather just wait for that...

1st that I'm hearing of this. Do you have a point of reference ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #499 of 841
They bumped the price up to $400 and the estimated ship date (for this pre-order) is August 30th.

This puts the Monolith THX 788 (at it's current sale price, until April 21st) within $50

And another $200+ easy to match the dual AK4473 DACs in the Monolith, depending on what one already has but potentially $150 cheaper. Toss in the awesome PEQ and even Dirac the MP is potentially a much better value.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #501 of 841
ok so its here. updated fw to 1.03, installed the driver and hooked the dac S/E outputs to my existing vali 2 to see if I can tell a difference from my old SMSL dac. I dont know if its genuine but MAN it sounds better. bass seems tighter and punchier.

Dirac does seem to change the sound stage forward and slightly up a bit. its not crazy but very noticeable.

switched to the built in amp and noticed sharper more detailed sound and lots more bass.

this is all fubar2k on USB with HD6XX.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #502 of 841
Speaking of the 1.03 update, anybody manage to pull it off with Ubuntu and Wine? Don't want to bork the update process if it can only be done on a Windows machine.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #503 of 841
ok so its here. updated fw to 1.03, installed the driver and hooked the dac S/E outputs to my existing vali 2 to see if I can tell a difference from my old SMSL dac. I dont know if its genuine but MAN it sounds better. bass seems tighter and punchier.

Dirac does seem to change the sound stage forward and slightly up a bit. its not crazy but very noticeable.

switched to the built in amp and noticed sharper more detailed sound and lots more bass.

almost think I like the vali 2 over the built in amp. lol. The dynamics on the THX amp seem exaggerated and harsh. Maybe I am just used to too much compression.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #504 of 841

Dirac as extremely noticable if you listen to 70s stuff. Stereo was a new thing and boy did they go crazy with the left and right channel switching.

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #506 of 841
Having an exceptional evening with the AFC and 788. What a phenomenal pairing for classical, even without the AFC's tuning pads. Stravinsky's Firebird Suite caused some dust in the living room to get kicked up right into my eyes, making them all watery. That track can normally bring some emotions out of me, but this was something new.
IMG_20190419_162444.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #507 of 841
I was going to join the drop and get the 788 for home but then remembered that Monoprice was going to release a new version of the 788 next year and I'd rather just wait for that...

I'd be surprised if they did tbh. They get crap on no matter how good their products can be, wouldn't shock me to see them exit the headphone market, which would be a loss to everyone.

Well, maybe the Cavali sales can keep it going for them.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #509 of 841
Is there any review which directly compares Monoprice 788 to Massdrop 789 with a Balanced DAC?

If Monoprice 788 is as good as THX 789 + Balanced DAC, that would be a hell of a deal considering the fact that Massdrop's $50 price jump.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #510 of 841
Is there any review which directly compares Monoprice 788 to Massdrop 789 with a Balanced DAC?

If Monoprice 788 is as good as THX 789 + Balanced DAC, that would be a hell of a deal considering the fact that Massdrop's $50 price jump.
The only reviewer i know who has had both, talks to much crap (Does a good job at menchioning features in that crap though!) & not enough about audio e.t.c.
Ignoring the fact only 1 has been tested & has good results. Both use THX so will have good results.
The Monoprice has more features (EQ & DIRAC), updateable Firmware & a balanced Dac with DSD. While the MD THX has more power. As for which sounds better you can literally blame Duncan at MD for me not being able to answer that!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back