Monoprice Monolith AMT Headphones
May 1, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #307 of 312
has anyone else tried this mod before? if so what were your results?
I have tried this mod out of curiosity. The changes described by the user are indeed real; you lose the extra "dullness" and "boominess" that the AMT may show due to internal reflections/resonances, getting a more natural sound. However, I reverted to stock configuration shortly after because when I tried the polyfill mod the drivers had roughly 20hrs of use and, as it seems that AMT's generally take quite long to break in, I preferred to wait and see what's the progression of their tonal signature and balance over time. This is actually evolving and improving (currently around the 100hrs mark, but I have read users suggesting to wait until a 500hr-period of break-in is completed - whether this is realistic or just placebo, I don't know); there is still some extra boom and dullness according to my taste, in particular with heavy and dynamic music, so if this won't change with time, I may apply again the polyfill mod.

May 1, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #308 of 312
I have tried this mod out of curiosity. The changes described by the user are indeed real; you lose the extra "dullness" and "boominess" that the AMT may show due to internal reflections/resonances, getting a more natural sound. However, I reverted to stock configuration shortly after because when I tried the polyfill mod the drivers had roughly 20hrs of use and, as it seems that AMT's generally take quite long to break in, I preferred to wait and see what's the progression of their tonal signature and balance over time. This is actually evolving and improving (currently around the 100hrs mark, but I have read users suggesting to wait until a 500hr-period of break-in is completed - whether this is realistic or just placebo, I don't know); there is still some extra boom and dullness according to my taste, in particular with heavy and dynamic music, so if this won't change with time, I may apply again the polyfill mod.
Thank you for this! I was thinking the same for burn in time as well! I have around 35-40 hours, so I'm guessing I need a bit more. At first they felt a bit veiled but there were some slight improvements after some time with it. Again, not sure if its just placebo as you mentioned. The polyfill mod is definitely something I will be trying.

May 2, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #309 of 312
Thank you for this! I was thinking the same for burn in time as well! I have around 35-40 hours, so I'm guessing I need a bit more. At first they felt a bit veiled but there were some slight improvements after some time with it. Again, not sure if its just placebo as you mentioned. The polyfill mod is definitely something I will be trying.
Just tried the mod. I'm pleasantly surprised. Tighter bass response, much airier treble. I wonder if other material would work better.

May 3, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #312 of 312
My personal mod is here:
resonant chamber of non direct reflection, then filled... so sound is more natural than ever. Always punch, detailed, dynamic.

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-26 at 23.47.23 (2).jpeg
I am somewhat interested in your mod. Could you explain the process of getting at the resonant spaces surrounding the drive unit, and the exact material you used to fill these spaces? It looks like glass wool insulation, which might have the disadsvantage of shedding a lot of particles that would affect the driver surfaces. I would assume it should be some sort of organic wool speaker stuffing material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back