Monoprice Modern Retro Over Ear Headphones (#16150)
Mar 29, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #31 of 46
In

i dont understand why you bother with that? the retros headband is like 4 times more comfortable than superlux. you dont feel like that? isnt everyone complaining about the superlux headband all the time?

I actually prefer it myself and I now have the removable cable. It makes the center of my head feel free and airy! :beyersmile:

EDIT: I just had a spare 669 and just went at it as I love customizing stuff. The monoprice is also a more fun sounding headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #32 of 46
I have had these headphones for about a month. Purchased on-sale for $17.99.

A enjoyable sounding headphone for the price. Not even going to compare these with my HiFiMan HE4XX cans. Comfortable and light on my head. Good bass, midrange and treble. To my ears the sound is V shaped but musical. May be slightly lacking in detail compared to much more expensive headphones.These are fairly efficient and can be driven to satisfying SPLs from my smartphone.

I did replace the ear pads with LyxPro HAS-30 pads for $8 and they did smooth out the bass response. If someone is going to spend an extra $25-27 on replacement ear pads, I would suggest just purchasing a better headphone, such as the Status Audio CB-1.

Overall a winner and a great value, if you want to spend under $25. You may want to consider the Monoprice Stage Right closed back headphone for $30. They are heavier, but come with upgraded ear pads and better sound rather than spending the money on expensive ear pads alone.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #33 of 46
I have had these headphones for about a month. Purchased on-sale for $17.99.

A enjoyable sounding headphone for the price. Not even going to compare these with my HiFiMan HE4XX cans. Comfortable and light on my head. Good bass, midrange and treble. To my ears the sound is V shaped but musical. May be slightly lacking in detail compared to much more expensive headphones.These are fairly efficient and can be driven to satisfying SPLs from my smartphone.

If someone is going to spend an extra $25-27 on replacement ear pads, I would suggest just purchasing a better headphone, such as the Status Audio CB-1.

Overall a winner and a great value, if you want to spend under $25. You may want to consider the Monoprice Stage Right closed back headphone for $30. They are heavier, but come with upgraded ear pads and better sound rather than spending the money on expensive ear pads alone.

Had never even heard of those Stage Right headphones, just looked at those on Monoprice, very intriguing. I got my Retro cans on sale and find the stock ear pads on those suit me just fine, no need to replace them, but curious about the Stage Right now....

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #34 of 46
Will Brainwavz HM5 pads fit these? Vaguely remember reading somewhere that they will they're just a bit tricky to get on initially.

Any word on how these compare to the Tascam TH-02's in terms of sound quality, comfort, etc.? They're my current budget cans that I use at work but I'm not a huge fan of them for extended listening (slightly too large for my head - even on the smallest setting).

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #35 of 46
Will Brainwavz HM5 pads fit these? Vaguely remember reading somewhere that they will they're just a bit tricky to get on initially.

Any word on how these compare to the Tascam TH-02's in terms of sound quality, comfort, etc.? They're my current budget cans that I use at work but I'm not a huge fan of them for extended listening (slightly too large for my head - even on the smallest setting).

No they don't

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #38 of 46
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #39 of 46

I literally just put the HM5 Pleathers on them. Takes a bit of stretching, but they fit just fine.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #40 of 46
Modern Retro for $20 is a steal
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16150
I got a set recently and have started modding them. so far I've tried the angled pleather pads from the fostex tr90 and the pleather Lyx Pro has 30 pads. I think I paid $10 for them. I have started damping the drivers and cups on one side..so
far it seems pretty easy to get ridiculous bass out of these and get a little more clarity out of the treble and midrange...I have the parts/tools to do a cable mod and a custom leather headband, I just haven't made the time to do them.

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #41 of 46
This is my favorite headphone. Had it + Brainwavz XL Black Pleather Memory Foam pads for over a month now. Total I paid is <$65, including tax.

It is strong upgrade from the likes of the DT-770 Pro or ATH-M50X (I own both), is insanely fun while still retaining what I consider a "hi-fi" sound, and has a better soundstage than even most open headphones.

For reference, my amp is a Magni 3. Some of my other headphones are an original LCD2 (which I hate), HD-650, K701 (which I have grown to appreciate, but I don't use it), Stax 212 Basic System II (or something like that - whatever it is called, it has been replaced by the SRS-3100 System), DT-1990 Pro, Elear, KSC-75 (I mention this here because it is still one of my favorite headphones).

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #42 of 46
Had an odd occurrence with these so I thought I’d check to see if anyone else had the same thing!
I bought a used pair off amazon figured I’d do some mods and stuff for fun. The. I noticed the cup shape is different than all the others I’ve seen. It’s even different from the picture on the box? There’s also an actual slot for the pads ring to slide into. None of this is a big deal I just thought it was strange!
9C2C6F64-FE55-44A7-A6B6-32EEB693E237.jpeg

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #43 of 46
I noticed the cup shape is different than all the others I’ve seen. It’s even different from the picture on the box?
The cups on yours are clearly different from the picture on the box and both units I've owned, though these also have the same 110 mm ring for mounting pads, which leads me to...

Having had the Brainwavz XL Gel Micro Suede pads on mine since forever because they are super-comfy and have enormous space for ears and sound, I decided that I'd try my third pair of [deep breath] NULLKEAI Replacement Thicken Earpads For Monolith M1060 Headphones Earmuff Cover Cushion Cups pads on them. While I only purchased three pairs for free shipping, making each pair about US$9, I have them on both my Phantom and BL-30. It sounds amazing! Being slightly more closed than the Brainwavz XL, they keep in a bit more of the Retro's big bass while keeping the sound big.

H6f3d053cd4044cf99f4c24ee6c6eb544D.jpg

Now I just need to stop playing London Grammar - America (Live) on a loop... but not yet.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #45 of 46
Just wanna give everyone a heads up that dislike the recessed mids. Open up your cups, put clay and foam inside the enclosure, then put clay around the magnet side of the driver. Close back up and put these pads on them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D87PL5F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Prepare to be amazed. No more boomy midbass bloat, no more recessed mids. If treble is too sharp for you, do a TP mod. I think these sound better than my modded T50RP's now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back