Monoprice Micro-USB malfunctioning, need advice on a good, reasonably-priced Micro USB Audio Cable
Oct 27, 2015 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

goodyfresh

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I have been using a Fiio X3ii as a USB DAC with my laptop, and wanted a shorter cable to use with it than the 1.2m cable that came with the X3ii, so I bought a 1.5ft Monoprice cable (28/24 AWG with gold plating and Ferrite Core), and the piece of crap is already having issues after just a few days of use. . .when the cable is wiggled at all, the connection cuts-out to the DAC in the X3ii >_<

So guys, here's my question.  What should I buy in terms of a good 3ft-or-less, preferably 1.5ft or less, USB 2.0 to Micro USB connector cable for use with my Fiio X3ii as a DAC?  I'm not a fan of the idea of super-high-priced USB cables, but in terms of my budget for this I am willing to go as high as possibly the 60-to-70 dollar (USA) range, tops.

I know lots of people seem to like Audioquest's cables, but from the marketing lingo they use they look suspiciously like a scam to me, not to mention the fact that many people seem to report issues of severe jitter or other problems with their "Pearl" and "Forest" cables. . .

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 16
Bump! Please help me out guys.

I'm confused about what I should even get/need here.  Do I want something with a "ferrite core" like the Monoprice cable has that crapped-out on me?  How about "shielding?"  How about the guage size (AWG rating) and all that?

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 16
Come on guys, couldn't you please help me?  Please????

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 16
First question that comes to mind is how loose is the connection? Have you tried it with other devices or other cables with the fiio?

I have used many of the lower audioquest cables and never had an issue with any of them and have been happy with them. I currently use a forest USB right now and have no complaints.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 16
First question that comes to mind is how loose is the connection? Have you tried it with other devices or other cables with the fiio?

I have used many of the lower audioquest cables and never had an issue with any of them and have been happy with them. I currently use a forest USB right now and have no complaints.

Other USB cables work fine, as do any and all flash-drives and other such devices.  It is not an issue with a loose connection at the USB-port end on my laptop.  Nor is it an issue with the connection being loose at the micro-USB end.  It seems like when the wire gets wiggled around somewhere around its middle, the sound cuts-out for a second or two.  It's annoying.

So, what cable should I get?  I know I want something with gold plated connectors and all that. . .but what about a ferrite core, gauge size (AWG), and all that jazz???

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 16
  Other USB cables work fine, as do any and all flash-drives and other such devices.  It is not an issue with a loose connection at the USB-port end on my laptop.  Nor is it an issue with the connection being loose at the micro-USB end.  It seems like when the wire gets wiggled around somewhere around its middle, the sound cuts-out for a second or two.  It's annoying.

So, what cable should I get?  I know I want something with gold plated connectors and all that. . .but what about a ferrite core, gauge size (AWG), and all that jazz???

So yeah one of the wires most likely broke and as it gets wiggled it causes the break to move and break connection.  Most cables are in the 24 to 30 ga. wire size.  A stranded wire is more likely to break when it gets bent repeatedly and one thing I like about the Audioquest cables is for most of theirs they use solid wire which won't break as easily but also isn't as flexible so there is a trade-off.  I personally don't buy most of the cables make a huge difference so I will most likely never buy one of their upper end cables.  I am content with the lower level offerings as I have found them to be well made and well shielded.  A ferrite core will help some with power line interference but an actual device like a Schiit Wyrd will make much more of a difference as it actually replaces the power in the cable with a clean source opposed to what is coming off a motherboard.

I cannot really tell you what to get but for as much crap as people give Audioquest over their top tier cables I have found that pretty much all of their products are well made and have had no issues with any cable from them yet.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 16

So yeah one of the wires most likely broke and as it gets wiggled it causes the break to move and break connection.  Most cables are in the 24 to 30 ga. wire size.  A stranded wire is more likely to break when it gets bent repeatedly and one thing I like about the Audioquest cables is for most of theirs they use solid wire which won't break as easily but also isn't as flexible so there is a trade-off.  I personally don't buy most of the cables make a huge difference so I will most likely never buy one of their upper end cables.  I am content with the lower level offerings as I have found them to be well made and well shielded.  A ferrite core will help some with power line interference but an actual device like a Schiit Wyrd will make much more of a difference as it actually replaces the power in the cable with a clean source opposed to what is coming off a motherboard.

I cannot really tell you what to get but for as much crap as people give Audioquest over their top tier cables I have found that pretty much all of their products are well made and have had no issues with any cable from them yet.

So does that mean that a power-isolated DAC/Amp, or something like the iFi iPurifier, will render a ferrite core completely irrelevant?

So if I want something which is DEFINITELY going to be better than your typical stock cables, and reliable for a very long time, would the Audioquest Cinnamon be alright, or would I be totally fine saving some money and getting the Forest instead?

yeah I don't subscribe much to the idea that there coule be a real audible difference between super-high-end and merely mid-tier cables, myself, so I just want a good reliable mid-fi level cable.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 16
  So does that mean that a power-isolated DAC/Amp, or something like the iFi iPurifier, will render a ferrite core completely irrelevant?

So if I want something which is DEFINITELY going to be better than your typical stock cables, and reliable for a very long time, would the Audioquest Cinnamon be alright, or would I be totally fine saving some money and getting the Forest instead?

yeah I don't subscribe much to the idea that there coule be a real audible difference between super-high-end and merely mid-tier cables, myself, so I just want a good reliable mid-fi level cable.

1) Not necessarily, but I haven't really tested so cannot say for sure, none of my cables have a ferrite core.

2) I am using a Forest with my Schiit Yggdrasil and am having no issues other than I need to add a Wyrd to take the 5v line off the computer motherboard because it is causing interference in one speaker where it crosses the cable running to the speaker (issue with computer not the cable). I might go to a Cinnamon when I add the Wyrd just because I like the look of the cable so I believe you should be fine with the Forest.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 16

1) Not necessarily, but I haven't really tested so cannot say for sure, none of my cables have a ferrite core.

2) I am using a Forest with my Schiit Yggdrasil and am having no issues other than I need to add a Wyrd to take the 5v line off the computer motherboard because it is causing interference in one speaker where it crosses the cable running to the speaker (issue with computer not the cable). I might go to a Cinnamon when I add the Wyrd just because I like the look of the cable so I believe you should be fine with the Forest.

I remember reading somewhere that no USB is truly "premium" without a ferrite core.  So what I'm wondering is, why would a six dollar cable from Monoprice have a ferrite core, but a 60 dollar one from Audioquest wouldn't? :p

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 16

I remember reading somewhere that no USB is truly "premium" without a ferrite core.  So what I'm wondering is, why would a six dollar cable from Monoprice have a ferrite core, but a 60 dollar one from Audioquest wouldn't? :p

Not sure honestly.  I remember when USB 2 first came out and for a while every cable had a ferrite core and then all of a sudden they didn't.

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 16
  Not sure honestly.  I remember when USB 2 first came out and for a while every cable had a ferrite core and then all of a sudden they didn't.

So, anyone else have any input on this, specifically on the importance (or lack thereof) of ferrite cores???

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 16
I see no good reason for it to have a ferrite bead; that's very uncommon for USB (and it may not even be doing anything effective). As far as why it has this? Likely because it looks big and impressive and if that extra $0.02c part helps them make a sale, they'll do it. Same reason manufacturers go with cloth braids, gold plated connectors, metal connector bodies, over-sized conductors, etc. We shop with our eyes.

Anyways, it isn't surprising *AT ALL* to hear that you've had a Monoprice cable fail on you. IME Monoprice has finally achieved a 100% failure rate for me (every single Monoprice cable I've ever bought has completely failed within 6 months); they're just cheaply put together. As far as an inexpensive, short, working cable for what you need, I'm a fan of Amazon but the shortest USB cable they offer is 3ft; StarTech has 1ft and 6" (.5ft) cables that are available as either straight or with angled connectors, and I've had generally good luck with StarTech cables in the past too (I think only one has ever "died" on me over a number of years). Either way you're talking like $5. A lot of newer USB devices also come with short cables, like phones, cameras, external hard-drives, etc - you may have one laying around in a box somewhere (or a friend might) depending on how much techno-junk you own. :xf_eek:

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 16
I see no good reason for it to have a ferrite bead; that's very uncommon for USB (and it may not even be doing anything effective). As far as why it has this? Likely because it looks big and impressive and if that extra $0.02c part helps them make a sale, they'll do it. Same reason manufacturers go with cloth braids, gold plated connectors, metal connector bodies, over-sized conductors, etc. We shop with our eyes.

Anyways, it isn't surprising *AT ALL* to hear that you've had a Monoprice cable fail on you. IME Monoprice has finally achieved a 100% failure rate for me (every single Monoprice cable I've ever bought has completely failed within 6 months); they're just cheaply put together. As far as an inexpensive, short, working cable for what you need, I'm a fan of Amazon but the shortest USB cable they offer is 3ft; StarTech has 1ft and 6" (.5ft) cables that are available as either straight or with angled connectors, and I've had generally good luck with StarTech cables in the past too (I think only one has ever "died" on me over a number of years). Either way you're talking like $5. A lot of newer USB devices also come with short cables, like phones, cameras, external hard-drives, etc - you may have one laying around in a box somewhere (or a friend might) depending on how much techno-junk you own.
redface.gif

Thanks for the tips :)  In the interest of super-long-term reliability, I'll probably go for something aruond the 30 to 40 dollar range like an Audioquest Forest.  But definitely not for anything super-fancy-schmancy :p

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for the tips :)  In the interest of super-long-term reliability, I'll probably go for something aruond the 30 to 40 dollar range like an Audioquest Forest.  But definitely not for anything super-fancy-schmancy :p

Spending more here won't buy you any extra reliability - it'll just cost more. I'm not saying AudioQuest cables are bad; I've tried a few myself and they're usually put together at least half-decently, but they're massively over-priced. And besides, if the $3 StarTech/Amazon cables shoot craps after a period of time, you'd have to buy the same cable 9 more times to even start talking about AudioQuest's pricing. I "get" the whole idea of wanting to do "one and done" and especially coming from Monoprice being leery of things that aren't very expensive/overpriced, but IME the issue is squarely with Monoprice, not affordable products in general, and going "rage buy" on some massively over-priced mystical woowoo doesn't seem like a good use of resources (to me). Just my 2c, of course do whatever you feel is most appropriate given your circumstance. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back