Monoprice Electrostatic Headphone
Mar 11, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #31 of 137
So...basically the only reviewer that has heard these things feels so incredibly non-plused by the whole experience as to be speechless?
I know people are a little annoyed by a review that literally says nothing...but doesn't that speak volumes about how much these suck? I mean posting a ten minute review in which you literally just look at the damn things and can't find a single thing to say....that's powerful.

Naw, it was just dang annoying. And I say that as someone that is a patron of the guy because I generally like his work. :)

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #32 of 137
So...basically the only reviewer that has heard these things feels so incredibly non-plused by the whole experience as to be speechless?
I know people are a little annoyed by a review that literally says nothing...but doesn't that speak volumes about how much these suck? I mean posting a ten minute review in which you literally just look at the damn things and can't find a single thing to say....that's powerful.

It might be acceptable if they were a well established or popular headphone that had actually been reviewed before. But when there is next to no info on this headphone and he actually manages to get his hands on a review pair, but doesn't even tell us why he doesn't like it, that's just rude. Because what if the things he hates about it don't bother me? For instance, I know DMS is much more treble sensitive than I am and maybe he just hates the treble? Also, is he even familiar with other electrostatic headphones? Does he just not like the electrostatic sound? We will never know. At least Z-Reviews will tell you why he doesn't like a headphone. Not eloquently, but will tell you.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #33 of 137
Both of your points are well taken...I have enjoyed several of his reviews as well....
but if I may play devils advocate and go back to my original point, it's a pretty powerful statement to not say a single word. The fact that he felt it was not even worth trying to make a case for or against... the fact that the most impactful statement he felt he could make was to simply give 10 minutes of side eye to them...that's still pretty damn strong.
I mean, if you tell me you are thinking about asking out this new girl you met, and I tell you I went out with her, and you say, 'should I go out with her, what's she like?'.... and I just look deeply into your eyes for 10 minutes and sigh and occasionally shake my head sadly...?
I don't totally disagree, it would be nice to hear the what and the why...but...he still kept his review hand strong, don't you think?
If you pop for the $700 and are disappointed it is 100% on you bro, you were warned.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #34 of 137
If you pop for the $700 and are disappointed it is 100% on you bro, you were warned.

But if you pop $375 for it, maybe that's different, eh? :) Having said that... I ain't pulling the trigger, lol. :D But that's mostly because I've been on a recent buying binge and so I don't have $375 to just pop on what doesn't seem to be a great risk.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #35 of 137
Both of your points are well taken...I have enjoyed several of his reviews as well....
but if I may play devils advocate and go back to my original point, it's a pretty powerful statement to not say a single word. The fact that he felt it was not even worth trying to make a case for or against... the fact that the most impactful statement he felt he could make was to simply give 10 minutes of side eye to them...that's still pretty damn strong.
I mean, if you tell me you are thinking about asking out this new girl you met, and I tell you I went out with her, and you say, 'should I go out with her, what's she like?'.... and I just look deeply into your eyes for 10 minutes and sigh and occasionally shake my head sadly...?
I don't totally disagree, it would be nice to hear the what and the why...but...he still kept his review hand strong, don't you think?

Well, I trust him enough to know I probably wouldn't feel even $375 is worth a shot, but I've always found that I like a lot of headphones he's given poor reviews: the SHP9500, the Fidelio X2, the Nighthawks, so I can't be entirely sure I might not find them pleasant to listen to -- just probably not more than other headphones I already own, and that cost me less.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #36 of 137
But if you pop $375 for it, maybe that's different, eh? :) Having said that... I ain't pulling the trigger, lol. :D But that's mostly because I've been on a recent buying binge and so I don't have $375 to just pop on what doesn't seem to be a great risk.
It might be worth $375!
I know I have read reviews of headphones that I liked quite a bit and thought, "you wouldn't be saying that if you paid what I paid"
I mean, it's not the best example, but the Fidelio L2 was a really well reviewed headphone when it came out for $300...but if it had come out as the $100 headphone I got it as?? WHEW! The reviews would have been ecstatic, right? The build and materials were highly praised even for a $300 headphone, it "punched above it's weight class" ...but, for the $100 I paid?? There isn't a $100 headphone on the planet more finely made than the L2....
so...maybe it's a good $375 headphone...if only that a-hole had spoken, amirite?? :)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #37 of 137
It might be worth $375!
I know I have read reviews of headphones that I liked quite a bit and thought, "you wouldn't be saying that if you paid what I paid"
I mean, it's not the best example, but the Fidelio L2 was a really well reviewed at headphone when it came out for $300...but if it had come out as the $100 headphone I got it as?? WHEW! The reviews would have been ecstatic, right? The build and materials were highly praised even for a $300 headphone, it "punched above it's weight class" ...but, for the $100 I paid?? There isn't a $100 headphone on the planet more finely made than the L2....
so...maybe it's a good $375 headphone...if only that a-hole had spoken, amirite?? :)

LOL, I think you're yanking my chain now :D I've always been curious about the L2, incidentally.... and I'm still curious about the Monoprice Electrostatic, just too cheap to spend even $400 to satisfy that curiosity. Maybe if I could score it for $180, I might have to gamble... :D

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #38 of 137
LOL, I think you're yanking my chain now :D I've always been curious about the L2, incidentally.... and I'm still curious about the Monoprice Electrostatic, just too cheap to spend even $400 to satisfy that curiosity. Maybe if I could score it for $180, I might have to gamble... :D
Yeah, a little bit of good natured chain yanking...
the L2 is a really good headphone...I don't listen to it as much as I used to...I was listening to it today, out of guilt for not listening to it more, and I realized, the lack of head time isn't because it's not good....most of my listening is down to 2 headphones lately: a modded Monolith M565 and my Grado 325e....the L2 does some things better than the Grado, and some things better than the M565....it's a great all rounder, it's comfortable, it's portable as all get out... but it's that all-rounder character that keeps it from getting head time...it has better bass than the Grado...but the M565 has better bass than the L2 so when I want bass I go M565...but it has better treble than the M565, but not as good as the Grado so when I want treble I go Grado...and both the Grado and the M565 have better mids....unfortunately that keeps landing it in 3rd place...

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #39 of 137
Unfortunately, not an original review. Tyll did that review 8 years ago.

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #40 of 137

The fact that it was done once before, 8 years ago, doesn't negatively impact my original premise...it's STILL a bold statement to say nothing at all, it's still strong, in it's own way, even if it was done before
edit: I finally got the video to play...they are different, the DMS review isn't the same at all...similar concept, but, not "already done".

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #41 of 137

No, Tyll's video was actually entertaining.. because you can hear the music coming from the headphones and watch him react comically, and then he says the price at the end -- and it wasn't ten minutes, either. So, I found Tyll's video funny and DMS's video on the Monoprice Electrostatic very, very boring. :joy:

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #43 of 137
No, Tyll's video was actually entertaining.. because you can hear the music coming from the headphones and watch him react comically, and then he says the price at the end -- and it wasn't ten minutes, either. So, I found Tyll's video funny and DMS's video on the Monoprice Electrostatic very, very boring. :joy:

.... also, there's a link below Tyll's video to his written full review, which is definitely more than silence. :D

Exactly! You took the words right out of my mouth (or fingers, as it were).

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #44 of 137

It means he couldn't piggyback on zeos' review for once since he doesn't have an opinion. We'll get a review from him when someone else reviews it first.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #45 of 137
pictures of the insides of the amp and headphones posted elsewhere.
Amp circuit wise is an exact copy of the stax srm-001. Better power supply, much bigger usb chargeable battery.
amplifier gain is way low, need 3 to 4 volts to make the headphones loud enough. Amp says made in Taiwan on the circuit board.
when you make a 5 pin din to stax plug, the headphones work fine on any stax amp. Hard to tell whether they are made by
kingsound or not, definitely do not sound the same as the kingsound. If they would sell the headphones alone with a stax plug
on them, they would probably be worth $499.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back