Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum technical measurements
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #31 of 32
I have perhaps a silly question:

With harmonics so low on this tube-amp (i.e., below <-100dB in most cases), how can this amp in any way differ audibly from a solid state amp, when driving a 300-600 ohm headphone load?

It seems to me that most audiophiles purchase tube amps for the even harmonics that are audibly present in the output, especially when overdriven. On an amp with so little (amazingly little for a tube amp) distortion, is it any audibly different from a good solid state low distortion heaphone amp?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #32 of 32
With harmonics so low on this tube-amp (i.e., below <-100dB in most cases), how can this amp in any way differ audibly from a solid state amp, when driving a 300-600 ohm headphone load?

It seems to me that most audiophiles purchase tube amps for the even harmonics that are audibly present in the output, especially when overdriven. On an amp with so little (amazingly little for a tube amp) distortion, is it any audibly different from a good solid state low distortion heaphone amp?
Not a silly question. Does changing the tubes in this amp yield a noticably different sound signature? Time to check the big LP thread to find out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back