Monoprice 8323 vs Superlux HD 681
Nov 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shjnlee

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

First off, I'm completely new to this forum and headphones in general, and English isn't my mother language, so my apologies if my post makes no sense or if its in the wrong place.

I've been scouting for a headphones <$30 that will fit my needs of:

Music listening (I want a headphone that is good with all genres)
- Playing games (mostly RGP) 
Playing my digital piano (with the headphone plugged in)
Good bass (but not too much) with decent highs and mids
- Comfortable and durable.

Styles, sizes and sound isolation aren't important to me. But, I might use it on buses to my school, so loud sound leakage does somewhat matter.

Would you please to point out which one fits my needs. Or, could you give me suggestions of other headphones for the same price range that are better then the ones mentioned above.

I would very much appreciate your expert opinions :)

Thanks in advance!

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey there.

Both the 8323 and the HD681 are excellent headphones for the price. But they are completely different signatures so here are the differences.

HD681 has a bright sound with very well extended highs and fairly low bass. They are very aggressive and in your face. They also have very good detail and anaytical soundThere is some sibilance and slightly thin sound. The design is pretty comfortable but the earpads get sweaty. 

Monorpice is a closed headphone with better bass response and a much smoother laid back sound (compared to the superlux) Isolation is much better and they are more portable. Headband and pads are uncomfortable for some. Mids are a bit recessed and they sometimes sound like they have a veil.

So its personal preference really. Both are good for everything.

If you get the 681 I recommend getting AKG 240 velour pads for $30 or if you get the Monoprice get the beyerdynamic dt250 velour pads for about $20. They both improve sound and comfort by a mile.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Hey there.

Both the 8323 and the HD681 are excellent headphones for the price. But they are completely different signatures so here are the differences.

HD681 has a bright sound with very well extended highs and fairly low bass. They are very aggressive and in your face. They also have very good detail and anaytical soundThere is some sibilance and slightly thin sound. The design is pretty comfortable but the earpads get sweaty. 

Monorpice is a closed headphone with better bass response and a much smoother laid back sound (compared to the superlux) Isolation is much better and they are more portable. Headband and pads are uncomfortable for some. Mids are a bit recessed and they sometimes sound like they have a veil.

So its personal preference really. Both are good for everything.

If you get the 681 I recommend getting AKG 240 velour pads for $30 or if you get the Monoprice get the beyerdynamic dt250 velour pads for about $20. They both improve sound and comfort by a mile.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate that!

How do you think about Beyerdynamic DT235 compared to the 681 and monoprice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back